PDA

View Full Version : Clay a ceramic coating?

Pages : [1] 2

nadams18
03-28-2018, 11:46 AM
Typically twice a year i will typically clay, light swirl removal if needed, polish, than wax/sealant. Last spring i trialed the CarPro CQuartz on the hood of my truck, I liked the results and decided to do my whole truck. Since then after every wash i have used the CQuartz Reload as a kind of maintainer.

My question is should i do my normal thing of clay, polish, wax/sealant or should I just hold off until the beading of water has diminished and i need to reapply the CQuartz?

SirTanon
03-28-2018, 12:28 PM
I would expect that since the CQuartz has only been on about a year, and you've been using Reload, that your finish would be pretty much swirl-free. If this is the case, what use would a polish job be? Clay maybe, but only if a baggie test reveals contamination. Otherwise, just keep topping with Reload every so often and be done with it.

Bruno Soares
03-28-2018, 12:35 PM
I never clay unless I plan on polishing afterwards. And if you polish you'll remove CQuartz. I say do some decontamination with Tar-X and Iron-X (if needed) and wait until about the 2 year mark at which point you'd want to polish and re-coat the car.

asalesagent912
03-28-2018, 12:55 PM
In my opinion depending on the color of car you can clay it.
for me i have a white SUV and it kills me to feel the contaminants.
so i clay it once in a while mostly just the sides.
If it were a black car i may not because you may notice the marring.
But no i wouldn't polish like the above said because you will be taking off the coating.

Rsurfer
03-28-2018, 01:21 PM
Have you looked into using Essence Plus?

panthershark
03-28-2018, 01:25 PM
Once coated I have not ran into scenario where I would need to clay...as mentioned earlier, i have done a decon with iron x and a Gtechniq citrus wash and have restored the coating performance. Any swirls or light scratches have been spot repaired and have used a topper to restore spot, otherwise if it merits the whole car then yes I would start over with Clay, polish and then recoat but thankfully have not needed to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maestro Sam
03-28-2018, 01:40 PM
Don't ever clay a car just because you have some contaminants on it. If you have ceramic coating on the car, you should not clay it and also, it should not be to the point where contaminants should build up in the first place. Wash your car every week and should be in top shape. Use iron x to decontaminant it.

Eldorado2k
03-28-2018, 01:42 PM
Don't ever clay a car just because you have some contaminants on it.

That’s the only time I DO clay a vehicle.

FUNX650
03-28-2018, 03:24 PM
Don't ever clay a car just because
you have some contaminants on it.

Over the years I’ve learned to
never say: “not ever”...

If you have ceramic coating on the car,
you should not clay it

and also, it should not be to the point
where contaminants should build up
in the first place.

Wash your car every week and
should be in top shape.

Use iron x to decontaminant it.
What?

Bob

Maestro Sam
03-28-2018, 03:28 PM
Over the years I’ve learned to
never say: “not ever”...

What?

Bob

Been a tough week forgive me lol

FUNX650
03-28-2018, 03:53 PM
Been a tough week

forgive me lol
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/BA2B225D-4E08-4F2D-8718-5179C6F656CC.jpeg

Bob

Goonie75
03-28-2018, 04:06 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/BA2B225D-4E08-4F2D-8718-5179C6F656CC.jpeg

BobHey Bob. Sorry to bug you but PM is full. Would you mind taking a look at the navigation screen microfiber thread? I had a question myself about smudges that are left on a navigation screen. They seem to be permanent as in ozmosis has aided in helping make up oils penetrate the screen. I don't think I can remove them. It was on my Dad's Jeep I did a few months ago. It's clean. Just two fingerprint dots where it look like she wore makeup and push the screen in the same spot over and over. Is it possible that it has penetrated the screen

Sent from my SM-G935V using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

The Guz
03-28-2018, 04:22 PM
Typically twice a year i will typically clay, light swirl removal if needed, polish, than wax/sealant. Last spring i trialed the CarPro CQuartz on the hood of my truck, I liked the results and decided to do my whole truck. Since then after every wash i have used the CQuartz Reload as a kind of maintainer.

My question is should i do my normal thing of clay, polish, wax/sealant or should I just hold off until the beading of water has diminished and i need to reapply the CQuartz?

How does the finish look after this time? Is there marring or swirls that are driving you crazy to the point where you can not take it?

If the finish is still good and is up to your standards, then you can perform a decontamination wash as others have mentioned.

The thing about claying a coating is the chance of marring the surface which would then need some polishing to fix. Which then leads to the removal of the coating.

FUNX650
03-28-2018, 04:58 PM
Would you mind taking a look at the
navigation screen microfiber thread?

I had a question myself about smudges
that are left on a navigation screen.
They seem to be permanent as in ozmosis
has aided in helping make up oils penetrate
the screen. I don't think I can remove them.

It was on my Dad's Jeep I did a few
months ago. It's clean. Just two finge-
print dots where it look like she wore
makeup and push the screen in the same
spot over and over.

Is it possible that it has penetrated the screen

•Many nav screens have a very thin
anti-static/anti-glare Coating applied
to them.

-Because of this Coating: It’s possible the
chemical make-up of the cosmetics hasn’t
penetrated into the nav-screen itself—just
“stained” the Coating film layer.

•Can’t offer a guarantee; but, Meguiars M18
Clear Plastic Detailer may clean off those spots.
-Use it on a very soft MF-Towel, trying not to
use too much pressure. As you know: The nav
screen is very scratch sensitive.

:idea:
Find out from the vehicle manufacturer
if the nav screen’s Coating/film layer is
replaceable.
(IMO: Nav screens should come with
something comparable to gorilla-glass.)

Bob

Goonie75
03-28-2018, 05:21 PM
•Many nav screens have a very thin
anti-static/anti-glare Coating applied
to them.

-Because of this Coating: It’s possible the
chemical make-up of the cosmetics hasn’t
penetrated into the nav-screen itself—just
“stained” the Coating film layer.

•Can’t offer a guarantee; but, Meguiars M18
Clear Plastic Detailer may clean off those spots.
-Use it on a very soft MF-Towel, trying not to
use too much pressure. As you know: The nav
screen is very scratch sensitive.

:idea:
Find out from the vehicle manufacturer
if the nav screen’s Coating/film layer is
replaceable.
(IMO: Nav screens should come with
something comparable to gorilla-glass.)

BobThanks again... sorry to everyone else for the brief hijack of the thread... [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)