PDA

View Full Version : Explorer TB cleaning completed, with pics

Don M
03-27-2018, 09:07 AM
Recently I did a MAF sensor/throttle body cleaning (off the car) on my Camaro. Even with only 73,000 miles on the engine, there was a noticeable difference. So I decided that this weekend, I would do the same to my wife's 2003 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC. It has over 115,000 mile and has only had BASIC maintenance performed, so I know the intake tract has to be NASTY. Too, it is driven stop and go, short trips etc, all those things in the severe service category. Also, her throttle body is more complicated than mine, with the IAC valve and all.

I tried U-Tube, but the closest I got was a guy with a 4.0 Ranger and the set-up was different than the wife's Explorer. No one else was REMOVING the TB to clean it PROPERLY, so I was wondering if there were any Ford guys (gals) around that could give me some advice?

The MAF sensor is easy, almost exactly like mine, bu the TB is different enough to cause a little bit of concern (if I break it, I'll NEVER hear the end of it).

Mike Phillips
03-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Sorry...

No experience....

:)

DaveT435
03-27-2018, 11:17 AM
While different from yours it should be very similar. If there is a question about a specific part of it you can post a pic and I can probably help out. I know it usually a pretty tight area and you may not be able to get a picture, if that's the case try to describe exactly what you're looking at and Inmay still be able to help.

Don M
03-27-2018, 01:05 PM
While different from yours it should be very similar. If there is a question about a specific part of it you can post a pic and I can probably help out. I know it usually a pretty tight area and you may not be able to get a picture, if that's the case try to describe exactly what you're looking at and Inmay still be able to help.

Don't the Ford Throttle bodies (especially the older ones like my 2003) have IAC valves etc attached to them? Are they difficult to remove/clean or are there any special steps I should take when disassembling and cleaning them?

Don M
03-30-2018, 08:41 AM
I posted earlier about my wife`s Explorer and for advice on pulling the throttle body for cleaning - my Camaro was nasty at 73,000 - so I figured hers had to be disgusting ... I was right.

Yesterday, I worked and it was t-shirt weather, today I`m off and it`s freezing with snow flurries - figures. Well I was able to get everything removed only (temporarily) losing 2 bolts in the process (one on the ground and the other behind the headlight).

Needless to say rubber gloves don`t do much in the way of keeping fingers warm, so I was dealing with numb fingers - even with frequent breaks to warm up the hands. So other than my numb fingers dropping small bolts, everything went great. It idles MUCH smoother, hovering at ~1,000 rpms and the engine is dead silent. The test drive was awesome, you could clearly tell the engine was breathing a whole lot better and didn`t seem to struggle under hard acceleration AND it was MUCH quieter and smoother under acceleration than before.

This was all done with Q-Tips and CRC Throttle Body Cleaner.

Well, enough wasting your time with jabber, here are the before and afters:

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/tn_Explorer_TB_before.jpg

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/tn_Explorer_TB_after.jpg