PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started

ReLoaDeD BuLLiTT
02-01-2008, 07:59 PM
I live in Palm Beach, FL. There's a LOT of competition around here, but I've seen a lot of their work and a lot of it doesn't surpass mine. I've been detailing for years now, just never wanted to make a living out of it, until now. I'm highly motivated to get started. I have a car I'm going to sell to get a bronco or truck of some sort to pull a trailer or something of the sort around in. I considered a van, but I'd rather use something that's more comfortable for me as a daily driver than a van. I already bought a business name, and just did a free listing in the yellow pages, as well as got a case of business cards made up with my business name on them. My question to the pros is, what do I have to do to get started? I already have all the products necessary to detail. (over 1k worth).

Where do you folks buy your detailing trailers? should I start out of the back of the truck and eventually get one? My thing is I don't have much storage space for one. Where would you guys buy a nice detailing trailer at? preferably with a hose reel, and water tank already on it? I already have a 2600 psi pressure washer that works out pretty well. Possibly a generator as well for power? I don't have one of those yet.

I really need/want business. How do I go about it? Seems to me that people would get pissed if you put your business card in their window/under windshield wiper, etc

budman3
02-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Just TexasTB a PM if you are interested in a trailer. He has made a few detailing trailers. You not only save money making one yourself, but you can customize it to whatever fits your budget. Also, many mobile detail out of their truck bed, which is another option other than a van. Some even work out of their trunk and use ONR and uses the customers power. I'm not in the business but I figured this may help you out a bit.

ReLoaDeD BuLLiTT
02-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Just TexasTB a PM if you are interested in a trailer. He has made a few detailing trailers. You not only save money making one yourself, but you can customize it to whatever fits your budget. Also, many mobile detail out of their truck bed, which is another option other than a van. Some even work out of their trunk and use ONR and uses the customers power. I'm not in the business but I figured this may help you out a bit.thanks for the advice bro. didn't think about using ONR, sounds like a decent idea, but what about wheel wells and heavy dirt?

budman3
02-01-2008, 11:09 PM
That could be a problem. A lot of people have a hard time letting go of a pressure washer :). Some people use a pesticide sprayer (3 gallon) with the ONR mixture and use that to soak, then brush, and then dry with a terry towel. It isn't time effective but it'll work ... Or for heavy dirt, the pesticide sprayer would be a good pre-rinse. ONR can be used on some very dirty surfaces though.

lethalxls1
02-01-2008, 11:18 PM
If it was me I would start out using just a truck with a water tank until you build your bussiness up a bit. If all goes well get a trailor later on-try to save as much as possible at first. Just my opinion. Good luck! I wish I lived closer!

ReLoaDeD BuLLiTT
02-02-2008, 02:53 AM
thanks guys. I have a guy that wants to trade me his dodge ram+a lot of cash for my 04 cobra and I might do just that. the cobra has issues and I don't have the time/money to put into it and I want to get rid of it anyway. so that might be in my best intrest.

turbogst12000
08-31-2008, 06:01 PM
what are the issues and what are you asking? I have been looking for one for a bit now.