PDA

View Full Version : looking for a wax to pad tip

hmardown
03-26-2018, 08:02 AM
anyone have a good tip for applying wax from can to pad(using a polisher) ? specifically speaking of the griots best of show 9.5 ounce. I've used many waxes from can dispenser's by digging them out of the can. even with rubber gloves you've got a mess on your hands. and then before you know it, that brick of wax is in pieces. I've tried just swiping my finger on the wax & then wiping it off on the pad. but that's a little messy to. should I try & run a knife around the outside of the wax to break it free from the can ? I'm trying not crumble the brick of wax(if it's at all possible). any idea's would be appreciated. using rupes 6'' pads,thanks.
hmardown

ski2
03-26-2018, 08:11 AM
Some users of FK1000p melt the wax and pour it into an empty deodorant dispenser--don't know if it would work with the Griots wax.

Goonie75
03-26-2018, 08:31 AM
Hmmmm... well, I like ski2's idea. I read that somewhere as well. Wonder if one can warm up the can somehow to make it more pliable or maneuverable to get it out of the can? Otherwise, maybe a smaller backing plate and a 3" pad to get 'into' the can might help. It might go without saying but maybe a liquid wax if the 6" pads are what you prefer... like

Griot's Garage Best of Show Wax, Griots Show Car Wax, liquid car wax, auto wax (https://www.autogeek.net/griots-best-car-wax.html)

dlc95
03-26-2018, 08:36 AM
Old credit card.

Scrape a little bit out, and spread it over the face of the pad.

Goonie75
03-26-2018, 08:41 AM
Brilliant!!!... was gonna say a 'cake icing spatula' kind of thing... but credit card... brilliant...

Brilliant GIFs | Tenor (https://tenor.com/search/brilliant-gifs)

oneheadlite
03-26-2018, 08:47 AM
Old credit card.

Scrape a little bit out, and spread it over the face of the pad.

Good call. My brain went right to a decal application squeegie, but old credit/gift cards are free and likely already on hand. :xyxthumbs:

FUNX650
03-26-2018, 08:51 AM
using rupes 6'' pads

I use the Rupes 4” (White) Finishing
Foam Pads. I find that just few blips
of the polisher, while the pad is held
against the Wax inside the container,
is adequate enough to load the pad
with product.

Bob

DBAILEY
03-26-2018, 09:04 AM
old credit card

davidc
03-26-2018, 10:04 AM
I use a body filler plastic applicator. I can cut it to the size of the can opening plus it is very sturdy.

Dave

fightnews
03-26-2018, 10:14 AM
anyone have a good tip for applying wax from can to pad(using a polisher) ? specifically speaking of the griots best of show 9.5 ounce. I've used many waxes from can dispenser's by digging them out of the can. even with rubber gloves you've got a mess on your hands. and then before you know it, that brick of wax is in pieces. I've tried just swiping my finger on the wax & then wiping it off on the pad. but that's a little messy to. should I try & run a knife around the outside of the wax to break it free from the can ? I'm trying not crumble the brick of wax(if it's at all possible). any idea's would be appreciated. using rupes 6'' pads,thanks.
hmardown

Just scrunch up the pad and stick it in the can a section at a time

custmsprty
03-26-2018, 11:38 AM
I use a small butter knife, a small putty knife works too, but the butter knife is rounded and you can get into the round container more easily. So you butter the pad just like a piece of bread, nice and thin.

hmardown
03-26-2018, 12:03 PM
thanks guy's. using a butter knife or credit card sounds like a good idea. that'll be a good way to keep my hands clean.
hmardown

fightnews
03-26-2018, 01:36 PM
thanks guy's. using a butter knife or credit card sounds like a good idea. that'll be a good way to keep my hands clean.
hmardown

I don't understand why you need to add utensil into the process what's so hard about scrunching up a foam pad I do it that way all the time

Eldorado2k
03-26-2018, 01:40 PM
I don't understand why you need to add utensil into the process what's so hard about scrunching up a foam pad I do it that way all the time

Because it’ll be easier to get even coverage with a credit card or a butter knife. Scrunching the pad into the can will leave you with clumps around the edge.

Kamakaz1961
03-26-2018, 02:01 PM
I use a 3" Pad and it fits perfectly in MOST jars of wax. I use my PC7424XP as my wax applicator. I just put the pad in the jar of wax and I EITHER blip the trigger or move the Pad back and forth manually. No need for a knife, credit card or scraping. At least this is what I do.

If the pad does not fit in the jar I just take the pad off and squeeze the pad to fit or just use the pad to grab some wax and then put it back on the DA. So far, this has worked for me. No need for gloves or tools to worry about.