PDA

View Full Version : Frozen water during car wash...

mrq0604
03-24-2018, 07:57 PM
Hello.

I was washing car today, and it seemed that the weather was just a bit colder than I had thought, or was on the weather app...

So after completing the car wash, the water beads on the car's surfaces started to freeze... I tried to wipe the surface as quick as possible, but it was no success.

I have two questions

1. I tried to dry the car as gently as possible with barely any force applied between the drying towel and the car's surfaces. What are the chances that the ice scratch the car? Is car scratched easily by ice?

2. The car wasn't fully dried.... I had to put my car back in garage. Will undried water (water spots) cause damages? How much would undried water affect the paint? This is what I'm really worried about...

Thanks in advance!

Additional note: I will be washing car again within 18 hours.

Additional note: the ice didn't really slide around the car's surface as I was drying. I kind of tap-dried as much as possible

PaulMys
03-24-2018, 08:07 PM
Not ideal to drag ice "droplets" across the finish. But I do not believe it is the end of the world.

The marring created from it would be minimal IMO, and can be corrected with your next polish session.

As for the water spots, if you already have some form of protection (Coating, wax, sealant...) I wouldn't be concerned if you are addressing it tomorrow as you say.

WillSports3
03-24-2018, 08:09 PM
This is actually why I use a coating, because this exact scenario happened to me. All I did was to spray alcohol based paint prep onto the surface, let it melt, and then dry. There's lubrication aids in most coating paint preps so, this works out for me. Mind you, I didn't do this on purpose. It was above freezing when I was doing wheels, and then freezing when I had already started sudsing up the car.

mrq0604
03-24-2018, 08:46 PM
Not ideal to drag ice "droplets" across the finish. But I do not believe it is the end of the world.

The marring created from it would be minimal IMO, and can be corrected with your next polish session.

As for the water spots, if you already have some form of protection (Coating, wax, sealant...) I wouldn't be concerned if you are addressing it tomorrow as you say.

Thanks for the reply.

I last detailed my car in June with 1 coat of Klasse sealant and 2 coats of Collinite 845. I couldn't detail my car for the winter due to health issues... But my car is rarely driven (maybe 2-3 times per week). And during this winter, it hasn't seen snow or salt. Furthermore, I applied Meguire's Ultimate Quik Wax from last car wash. So I guess I'm good...?

mrq0604
03-24-2018, 08:49 PM
This is actually why I use a coating, because this exact scenario happened to me. All I did was to spray alcohol based paint prep onto the surface, let it melt, and then dry. There's lubrication aids in most coating paint preps so, this works out for me. Mind you, I didn't do this on purpose. It was above freezing when I was doing wheels, and then freezing when I had already started sudsing up the car.

Maybe I should coat my car this summer...

PaulMys
03-24-2018, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I last detailed my car in June with 1 coat of Klasse sealant and 2 coats of Collinite 845. I couldn't detail my car for the winter due to health issues... But my car is rarely driven (maybe 2-3 times per week). And during this winter, it hasn't seen snow or salt. Furthermore, I applied Meguire's Ultimate Quik Wax from last car wash. So I guess I'm good...?

Very cool. I have used that exact combo in the past.

Relax, man. You didn't damage anything a quick polish won't fix.

mrq0604
03-24-2018, 09:05 PM
Very cool. I have used that exact combo in the past.

Relax, man. You didn't damage anything a quick polish won't fix.

Thanks man. I appreciate all your inputs. Never polished a car before, but I guess I have to give it a go this spring

PaulMys
03-24-2018, 09:12 PM
Thanks man. I appreciate all your inputs. Never polished a car before, but I guess I have to give it a go this spring

Have no worries. A couple years ago, I was in your shoes. Reading, worrying, reading........ Lol

Just pick a good polisher, good line of products and go for it. It's not rocket science, and it is actually one of the most relaxing and rewarding things I have ever done.

WillSports3
03-25-2018, 09:44 AM
Just remember to take it easy the first time you do it, polishing can be pretty strenuous. But it sure is satisfying.

UncleDavy
03-25-2018, 10:05 AM
I am known as the crazy guy in my neighborhood who washes his cars in the winter. Frozen wash water is always an issue and I have had frozen water beads on the paint surface. The ice will definitely scratch the clear coat but not so seriously that it can't be fixed with swirl remover or polish. Wash one side of the car at a time and only wash the side that it exposed to the sun. The shady side will freeze very quickly. Then turn the car around and do the other side.
Hopefully the inside of your garage is above freezing and you can finish drying the car inside.

kevincwelch
03-25-2018, 05:27 PM
I will second the recommendation to use a ceramic coating. Beads of water freeze all the time, but I have not seen those to cause etchings if removed once they melt. On the other hand, I wouldn't wipe away frozen beads either. You can't predict how they will release from the surface -- they could fracture and cause micromarring.

If you must, break out the heat gun and hair dryer to spot melt beads.

Best option: sit by the fire and wait until spring to wash the car!!!