PDA

View Full Version : How to Clean Pads After Using Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

Pages : [1] 2

Tico
03-24-2018, 07:12 PM
Gentlemen,

Wolfgang DGPS just keeps oozing out like a cream. I'm using Wolfgang Pad Werks Pad Cleaner & Extender but it's a nightmare to remove the DGPS. There has to be a better way. Any recommendations?

Bruno Soares
03-24-2018, 07:58 PM
Impossible. I just don’t try anymore and I put the pad in a zip lock bag and use it again next time. I once spent more than an hour trying and only thing I got was a kitchen sink that was beading water like crazy.

ducksfan
03-24-2018, 08:29 PM
AIO's are similar. Dawn actually does a decent job of getting out the bulk of the sealant. The last time I tried Citri-solv (similar to Citrol). That worked real well. I don't know if it was just good on this product (I think it was the new Black fire AIO). I'll have to try it a few more times to get a better idea. I also know I've read about guys using mineral spirits with good cleaning results.

My take on the whole pad cleaner argument is you could use the above-mentioned methods (or others) and just do a final rinse out with pad cleaner and be ok. No basis for this other than it makes sense to me.

PaulMys
03-24-2018, 09:22 PM
AIO's are similar. Dawn actually does a decent job of getting out the bulk of the sealant. The last time I tried Citri-solv (similar to Citrol). That worked real well. I don't know if it was just good on this product (I think it was the new Black fire AIO). I'll have to try it a few more times to get a better idea. I also know I've read about guys using mineral spirits with good cleaning results.

My take on the whole pad cleaner argument is you could use the above-mentioned methods (or others) and just do a final rinse out with pad cleaner and be ok. No basis for this other than it makes sense to me.

Never used WGDGPS (Yet, I have a bottle I ordered from AG), but I have noticed AIO's are more difficult to clean from pads.

mwoywod
03-24-2018, 10:20 PM
OPC undiluted can break down WGDGPS some BUT the majority of the sealant will be removed if you wrap a towel around the pad and squeeze the pad as hard as you can. Flip to a clean spot on the towel and continue doing this until the majority of WGDGPS is removed.

This method of transferring the sealant from the pad onto a towel will remove up to 90% of the sealant.

Put it on the rack to dry and either throw away the towel or wash it.

If you don't believe it's as easy as this, next time you apply a sealant just try wrapping a white paper towel around the pad and squeeze. You'll see just how much of the sealant transfers onto the paper towel.

ducksfan
03-24-2018, 11:17 PM
Another good idea by mwoywod.

Notice the pattern here. A two step process where you concentrate on getting most of the product out in the first step and then your knockout cleaner in step two. That's what I've found to work best.

If you buy into the pad cleaner claims, make that a quick third step.

It sounds like a lot. But when you get it down, it's not that bad. It sure beats trying to clean with only one of the various pad cleaners.

Oh, when I mentioned the Citra-Solv above, I used that as a second step after Dawn.

wing commander
03-24-2018, 11:36 PM
Well I will share that I have a black 4" buff and shine flat pad that just goes back in the bag each time. If I use the sealant correctly the pad hardly has any on it when I finish.

I use the polishing pal Pinnacle Polishin? Pal (https://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-polishin--pal.html) for the accuracy around edges and areas the pad on the machine can't reach. It also goes back in the bag when done.

Instead of wringing out the sealant I push the pads against the paint and do not add more towards the end of the application. A 16oz bottle has done more than 12 jobs and still has about 2oz left.

derass
03-24-2018, 11:59 PM
I've found the same thing with Collinite 845. I use 3D Towel Kleen, kneed as much as I can out of the pad, repeat once or twice more, then dry. I give u after that. It's a finishing pad, so I just reserve it for future 845 applications.

Tico
03-25-2018, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the tips. Will try using a towel to clean the pad next time I apply. Will also dedicate the pad to WGDGPS.

ski2
03-25-2018, 07:40 AM
While I've never used WGDGPS, I do use FK1000p which is a bear to remove from pads. I've had good luck also using the towel method and then cleaning the pad with Awesome Orange Degreaser from the Dollar Store.

UncleDavy
03-25-2018, 09:52 AM
I have used the Wolfgang DGPS and I love the product. It does stay in the pad after many hot water rinses but I have had success with McKee's 37 polishing pad cleaner. It is a great solvent that removes the product and leaves a clean pad. Make sure that you wear a mask when you use it. The spray can be pretty strong.

fightnews
03-25-2018, 10:01 AM
OPC undiluted can break down WGDGPS some BUT the majority of the sealant will be removed if you wrap a towel around the pad and squeeze the pad as hard as you can. Flip to a clean spot on the towel and continue doing this until the majority of WGDGPS is removed.

This method of transferring the sealant from the pad onto a towel will remove up to 90% of the sealant.

Put it on the rack to dry and either throw away the towel or wash it.

If you don't believe it's as easy as this, next time you apply a sealant just try wrapping a white paper towel around the pad and squeeze. You'll see just how much of the sealant transfers onto the paper towel.

Is it true that something like 3D towel kleen or the mckees pad cleaner I use that is quite strong can not break down wgdgps? I thought these products were supposed to do that?

Bruno Soares
03-25-2018, 10:06 AM
I have used the Wolfgang DGPS and I love the product. It does stay in the pad after many hot water rinses but I have had success with McKee's 37 polishing pad cleaner. It is a great solvent that removes the product and leaves a clean pad. Make sure that you wear a mask when you use it. The spray can be pretty strong.

Just a few minutes ago I tried that McKee’s polishing pad cleaner and I agree. It’s not a bad smell, just very strong. It removed Menzerna 3-in-1 from an orange pad very easily. Maybe I’ll try that product next time with WDGPS.

fightnews
03-25-2018, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the tips. Will try using a towel to clean the pad next time I apply. Will also dedicate the pad to WGDGPS.

I have a couple pads I just put in a plastic bag and only use with whatever wax. I don't even clean them I just put them in an air tight bag. Theoretically you should be able to take it out months later and just start using it. It should be the same as the wax in the bottle.

I say theoretically because although I do have the saturated pads in a bag I've yet to go back and actually use them a second time. I'm hoping they will work though.

mwoywod
03-25-2018, 12:32 PM
Is it true that something like 3D towel kleen or the mckees pad cleaner I use that is quite strong can not break down wgdgps? I thought these products were supposed to do that?

No, these products CAN break down a sealant to some extent. But because sealants aren't water soluble so the sealant can't be effectively rinsed out of pads. During the rinsing process some of the sealant WILL be removed with the pad cleaner BUT it would take numerous applications to remove even close to as much of the sealant as the towel method.