PDA

View Full Version : Where do looks come from?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

makdaddy626
02-04-2008, 09:20 AM
I have to disagree. Have you seen most any gorgeous model *without* her makeup?? Make up matters as well as LSP's. Difference is that you can't hide shoddy polish work with an LSP but you sure can make a so-so woman look good with makeup.

Hey, I heard a great joke about that just the other day....

Wife, after reviewing the finances tells husband he has to stop going out and drinking all the time, it's just expensive. Later, the husband looks over the statements and sees $85.00 for make-up, and over $200.00 for salon services (hair, nails, etc.). He asks the wife about these expenses and she says, "that's so I can look pretty for you" - he replys, "THAT'S WHAT THE BEER WAS FOR!"... He should be out of the hospital in a few more weeks. :eek:

TOGWT
02-04-2008, 01:47 PM
The aesthetics of a vehicle appearance is very subjective to say the least, the only best wax or sealant that really matters is what looks 'best' to you and meets the criteria you set for it.

Unlike 'make-up' the final result can only be as good as the surface its applied to (unless you add a glaze with filling properties). It really is all dependant upon, process over product; 85% preparation, 5% product suitability, 7% application methodology and the balance is in the ‘guy’ of the beholder. The other variables are; a detailer’s knowledge of paint type, experience with a given product and skill level and experience with machine polisher.

makdaddy626
02-04-2008, 02:34 PM
"...altering the surface of clear coat (polishing), which different polishes do to different degrees of "perfection" and/or adding a film between the paint surface and the eye (wax and/or sealant) can in fact alter what the eye sees???"

No, I am not on board with your phrasing. I see in Jon's post same thing I was saying so you and I seem to be reading it differently, thus your headache might be pretty much self-induced, sorry.

So, which part of this statement do you disagree with?

makdaddy626
02-04-2008, 02:37 PM
The aesthetics of a vehicle appearance is very subjective to say the least, the only best wax or sealant that really matters is what looks 'best' to you and meets the criteria you set for it.

Couln't agree with you more, it just seems that some people question whether there is any difference in the aeshetics of a vehicles appearance (looks) with different products applied, (whether better or worse is truly subjective).

budman3
02-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Couln't agree with you more, it just seems that some people question whether there is any difference in the aeshetics of a vehicles appearance (looks) with different products applied, (whether better or worse is truly subjective).

Exactly :cheers:. Leaving opinions on what looks better out of it, can different polishes create different looks and can different LSPs create different looks. This is what I was trying to get to with the original post but I guess people had trouble following.

From what has been stated in this thread, which seems accurate, is that a perfectly polished finish (paint) will always look the same. However, polishes aren't able to create perfection (microscopically), thus different polishes finish off better than others, creating different aesthetic looks.

On a controlled paint setting, finished off with a final polish, the choice of LSP can alter the appearence of the finish. That being said, different LSPs create different looks.

How do those last 2 paragraphs sound?

ZoranC
02-04-2008, 02:53 PM
So, which part of this statement do you disagree with?

Read this and try to understand it (bolds applied by me, and of course I am assuming we are not discussing fillers when talking polishing here):

Unlike 'make-up' the final result can only be as good as the surface its applied to (unless you add a glaze with filling properties). It really is all dependant upon, process over product; 85% preparation ...

Until then I will reply in as serious manner as the question is: "That is not what the makeup was for, that is what the beer was for".

:buffing:

makdaddy626
02-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Exactly :cheers:. Leaving opinions on what looks better out of it, can different polishes create different looks and can different LSPs create different looks. This is what I was trying to get to with the original post but I guess people had trouble following.

From what has been stated in this thread, which seems accurate, is that a perfectly polished finish (paint) will always look the same. However, polishes aren't able to create perfection (microscopically), thus different polishes finish off better than others, creating different aesthetic looks.

On a controlled paint setting, finished off with a final polish, the choice of LSP can alter the appearence of the finish. That being said, different LSPs create different looks.

How do those last 2 paragraphs sound?

That sounds spot on to me...

Check out this pic from a post by Mike T...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y233/silence0420/tmpphpQw20Wg.jpg

one side with spray souveran, one side with Aquawax... regardless of which side anybody thinks looks "better" I think most will agree they can see a difference...

Jimmie
02-04-2008, 03:50 PM
[quote=budman3;166769

How do those last 2 paragraphs sound?[/quote]

+1 for spot on.

budman3
02-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Sounds good then. Thanks to all of those who helped.