PDA

View Full Version : Quick California Duster question.

buddiiee
03-21-2018, 07:31 PM
Ok, I see that it's pretty much frowned upon to use this ancient piece of technology, but my question is, how much worse can this be over a microfiber towel brushing off the dust instead?

MarkD51
03-21-2018, 07:48 PM
One difference might be that with a MF Towel(s), you could use a clean number of them per dusting session, and you most likely would wash them after each use.

Whereas the Duster would continue to accumulate particles of dust with its "sticky" nature.

Today, most will use a Spray Waterless Wash/Detailer as a dusting aid. Carpro ECH2O is a pretty good one IMO, that will at least lubricate the surface as you go and lessen the severity of possibly sleeking the finish.

Eldorado2k
03-21-2018, 08:07 PM
Brushing off dust with a dry microfiber towel will easily lead to swirls. From what I understand using the California Duster [properly] will not.

DTruck
03-21-2018, 08:18 PM
I love mine. Been using, and will use, for years.
I also watch the staff at the Factory Auto Shows and museums use these on million dollar cars, with no issues. It makes me feel better that they work just fine.

custmsprty
03-21-2018, 08:24 PM
I love mine. Been using, and will use, for years.
I also watch the staff at the Factory Auto Shows and museums use these on million dollar cars, with no issues. It makes me feel better that they work just fine.

I've also seen many cars worth 6 and 7 figures with horrendous swirls on them.

david b
03-21-2018, 08:28 PM
Here we go...yet another duster question. You'll find all kinds of opinions/experiences if you search "California duster" on this site. Sounds like perhaps you've already made a decision as to whether it instills swirls/scratches?

David

cyclops
03-21-2018, 09:25 PM
I'm one of the few who do not object to California dusters but as you said it's antiquated.
A microfiber alone should not be used that is why most use a waterless wash with polymers or some type of QD with the micro to help encapsulate the dirt.

Here is a Mike Philips video using Optimum's Opti-Clean Waterless Wash.

YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TwvbtEMmT8)

ducksfan
03-21-2018, 09:42 PM
You know, there is another option. A lambswool duster (The one I have is a MR. SIGA) and a master blaster.

Just lightly skim the paint with the edge of the duster while you're blowing air underneath it. Pretty safe and works fairly well while the dust is new.

FUNX650
03-22-2018, 06:59 AM
Ok,
I see that it's pretty much frowned upon
to use this ancient piece of technology...

IMO:
As long as it’s “proven” technology...
its age is irrelevant.

•I will submit that the ancient Antediluvians
had technologies that matched—and in some
certain areas: even exceeds—today’s “hi-tech”.

”and there is nothing new under the Sun”
~Ecclesiastes 1:9 (KJV)

Bob

MarkD51
03-22-2018, 07:11 AM
I'm one of the few who do not object to California dusters but as you said it's antiquated.
A microfiber alone should not be used that is why most use a waterless wash with polymers or some type of QD with the micro to help encapsulate the dirt.

Here is a Mike Philips video using Optimum's Opti-Clean Waterless Wash.

YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TwvbtEMmT8)

Sorry I didn't word my previous post that well, it happens sometimes.
Yes, agree totally, dragging any dry towel no matter what across a paint will likely scratch it.

fightnews
03-22-2018, 08:37 AM
I've never seen anyone recomend dry dusting with a microfiber

Desertnate
03-22-2018, 10:18 AM
I've never seen anyone recomend dry dusting with a microfiber

Yet it happens frequently, I'm sure. At this year's auto show I watched a sales rep for Maserati/Alfa Romeo dry buff every vehicle nearly every time a person would get out of one of the display vehicles. Their sole job seemed to be answering customer questions and destroying the finish of all their display cars.