PDA

View Full Version : Re applying Gyeon Mohs?

Danno47
03-21-2018, 06:25 PM
Hi all,

I've a question that hours of searching and phone calls has failed to find a satisfactory answer to, hopefully Jeff or someone here can shed some light on it..

Here goes..about 12 months ago I bought a black 2004 Subaru Liberty (Legacy) GT and proceeded to polish the very ordinary paintwork to an acceptable level using a DA and Menzerna products and the results were good although it took some aggressive cutting to reach that point, after that I applied Gyeon Mohs very successfully and was well pleased with the overall result however during the year the car was forced to become my daily driver and had to sit at my workplace in the dirt and sun for most of the year(I live in the tropics so very hot and wet!) and in the end made a choice to put a Tyvek cover on the car when it was dry knowing that the result would be swirls and scuffing caused by the unavoidable movement of the cover and the dust that blows up under it but choosing to protect it against sun damage which is much harder to fix...

So now that I've had to quit that job due to illness and have some time on my hands while recovering and this car is no longer my daily I've decided to re-polish the car and re-apply a new coat of Mohs Q2 Synchro but herein lies the problem that there is very little information on...

1. When re-coating how thoroughly must the previous coat be removed and what is the procedure? obviously there is going to be areas on the car where it's impossible to remove it all (or even tell that you have) such as around the number plate area etc. and therefore how well will the new coat stick to any remnants of the old or will it just wipe or flake off?

2. My intention is to polish the car with about SF4000/PF2500 Menzerna which removes most of the swirls and scuffing without hopefully thinning the paint too much further, will this be enough to remove the coat?

There seems to be endless amounts of info on how long these coatings last but very little on what the procedure is when they inevitably fail or need repair.

Thanks for any help or advice offered.

Ancient1
03-21-2018, 08:54 PM
I would say that if you are able to get rid of the swirls the coating will also be removed. I am doing some testing of coatings and top coats on a 12 Kia that I coated with CSL/Exo last spring and that is what I used to remove the coating (Just the area above the pin strip not the whole car). I woyuld guess that most or maybe all the swirls have been through the coating and into the clear which would mean if I get the swirls out the coating will be gone. In my car I used Jescar compound with 4~6 passes and finished with PA finish polishII.

The car would look really good if it weren't for all the rock chips on the hood. It has just under 155k on it and I think it spent most of those following a gravel truck.

Here is a link to some of the pictures I took of it
Test - Ancient_1 (https://ancient1.smugmug.com/Test)

Jeff at Gyeon
03-22-2018, 06:10 PM
Hi all,

I've a question that hours of searching and phone calls has failed to find a satisfactory answer to, hopefully Jeff or someone here can shed some light on it..

Here goes..about 12 months ago I bought a black 2004 Subaru Liberty (Legacy) GT and proceeded to polish the very ordinary paintwork to an acceptable level using a DA and Menzerna products and the results were good although it took some aggressive cutting to reach that point, after that I applied Gyeon Mohs very successfully and was well pleased with the overall result however during the year the car was forced to become my daily driver and had to sit at my workplace in the dirt and sun for most of the year(I live in the tropics so very hot and wet!) and in the end made a choice to put a Tyvek cover on the car when it was dry knowing that the result would be swirls and scuffing caused by the unavoidable movement of the cover and the dust that blows up under it but choosing to protect it against sun damage which is much harder to fix...

So now that I've had to quit that job due to illness and have some time on my hands while recovering and this car is no longer my daily I've decided to re-polish the car and re-apply a new coat of Mohs Q2 Synchro but herein lies the problem that there is very little information on...

1. When re-coating how thoroughly must the previous coat be removed and what is the procedure? obviously there is going to be areas on the car where it's impossible to remove it all (or even tell that you have) such as around the number plate area etc. and therefore how well will the new coat stick to any remnants of the old or will it just wipe or flake off?

2. My intention is to polish the car with about SF4000/PF2500 Menzerna which removes most of the swirls and scuffing without hopefully thinning the paint too much further, will this be enough to remove the coat?

There seems to be endless amounts of info on how long these coatings last but very little on what the procedure is when they inevitably fail or need repair.

Thanks for any help or advice offered.

Hello!

It is certainly best to remove the base coating completely and start fresh. You want a clean and fresh bond with the paint surface underneath. New Mohs would certainly bond to "old" Mohs and perform well, but best to start fresh where we can. The old coating will not flake or peel off. It is a very thin layer that just deteriorate over time.

The polishing method you described should work fine. The coating is a relatively thin layer of material and if you are seeing swirls and scratches it is likely they have traveled through to the paint. So if you are removing them you are likely removing the coating as well. The old coating will not flake or peel off. It is a very thin layer that just deteriorate over time. I would conduct a test area to polish. Degrease the area very well after each polishing pass to test the hydrophobic properties of the panel. The easiest way to tell if the coating is gone is to polish until the water lays flat. I keep a spray bottle of water next to me, polish, degrease (APC), and then spray the panel with water. If beading like crazy then the coating is present and if it lays flat then it is gone.

Danno47
05-11-2018, 02:24 AM
Thanks Jeff, I finally got around to lightly polishing the car using Menz 2500 and then 4000 to finish it off and it removed it very well.

The re application of Mohs seemed much easier this time around compared to one year ago so it appears some improvements have been made to the product which was very welcome because a black car is not very forgiving...the difference this time also was the application of "Skin" and I've got to say I was completely blown away by the result, it looks so good and the paint is so slick I stand there and stare at it for long periods of time in the garage and completely refuse to drive it for fear of it getting dirty...my wife just rolls her eye's at me..:laughing:
The Skin product was so easy to apply and remove I thought I was doing something wrong but the end result was outstanding.

SWETM
05-11-2018, 04:17 AM
Thanks for your follow up on your thread! And the Syncro kit seems to be a top product. It's fun to watch your work when done and it's so successfull too.

TTQ B4U
05-11-2018, 05:13 AM
Thanks Jeff, I finally got around to lightly polishing the car using Menz 2500 and then 4000 to finish it off and it removed it very well.

The re application of Mohs seemed much easier this time around compared to one year ago so it appears some improvements have been made to the product which was very welcome because a black car is not very forgiving...the difference this time also was the application of "Skin" and I've got to say I was completely blown away by the result, it looks so good and the paint is so slick I stand there and stare at it for long periods of time in the garage and completely refuse to drive it for fear of it getting dirty...my wife just rolls her eye's at me..:laughing:
The Skin product was so easy to apply and remove I thought I was doing something wrong but the end result was outstanding.

^^ this. hoping to find time on Saturday to re-do my car.

Jeff at Gyeon
05-11-2018, 03:17 PM

Awesome! Yes there was a change to the carrier solvent in Mohs after SEMA 2017. The core ingredients of Mohs are the same but the improvement in the solvent is great. Very smooth and somehow an even easier wipe off.