PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Granite Tombstone

Route246
03-21-2018, 05:49 PM
Is it practical to polish a granite grave stone using a forced-rotation DA polisher?

My grandparents' grave stone has a lot of lime/calcium buildup and Lime Away is not doing much for it.

Since I have a Makita EU5000 and a Honda generator I was wondering if this would be feasible.

ducksfan
03-21-2018, 06:18 PM
Huh... that's a new one.

I would contact a granite supplier and ask them.

Route246
03-21-2018, 07:30 PM
Huh... that's a new one.

I would contact a granite supplier and ask them.

Yeah, I know. I was at the cemetery last week visiting my grandparents' grave and was thinking I might be able to do something with a DA to clean it up. The granite has been sitting out in the elements for 35+ years.

DTruck
03-21-2018, 07:39 PM
I'm a concrete floor polisher, and I can tell you that you can use a rotary with a stone polishing pad to clean up the granite to brand new. I'm not familiar with a Makita EU5000, but I can point you in a direction for grit if I had a little more information.

chet31
03-21-2018, 07:56 PM
When we had granite countertops installed, the installers were using some over the counter stuff to give it one last polish. I can't remember what it was, but I remember noting that it was an abrasive, something like bon ami. They were doing it by hand, I can't imagine they were actually doing much "polishing" that way. Also, they used razor blades to scrap off stray glue. Makes sense, granite is going to be much harder than metal. Anyway, you could always try a test spot.