PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasted

Jimmie
01-31-2008, 08:20 PM
A person that I did a detail called me yesterday. He said that he was driving through a sand storm between here and Vegas. He said that it pitted his windshield and asked if I could correct it. I asked if he could catch his fingernail in the pits and he said yes.
Is there anything that I can do to improve the windshield?
Like a lot of people now he has $1000 deductible so a new one is $$$$.
He also wants me to look at the paint.

Gary Sword
01-31-2008, 09:06 PM
I never had to deal with a sandblasted windshield before. Diamondite makes some glass restoration products but I have never tried them.

oldmodman
01-31-2008, 09:13 PM
If the glass is pitted that badly it will not be possible to remove enough glass to eliminate the pits without inducing an unacceptable amount of optical distortion. Since this is not considered an accident he should be able to get the windshield replaced without having to pay the deductible. But if he does have to pay the deductible it might be possible to get the car painted on the same nickel. He just needs to get a "professional" to determine that the damage cannot be polished out:buffing:

ronin
02-02-2008, 09:15 AM
I was looking at the diamondite kit. Even though it says it will work with a rotatary such as the porter cable. 7424. I have my doubts and at the effectiveness of a random polisher instead of using a orbital or drill.

I have some light scratches on my windshield and this was one of the kits I was looking at. The other being eastwood glass polishing pro kit.

Another forum member suggested this:

Glass Revive Scratch Removal Polishing System - The Solution for Scratched Glass (http://www.janvil.com/glass_revive.htm)

If the glass is pitted and they can feel it. Sorry to say, it isn't going to be fixable. My glass isn't even scratched deeply and I have people telling me that it isn't fixable.

dennish
02-02-2008, 09:50 AM
If the glass is pitted that badly it will not be possible to remove enough glass to eliminate the pits without inducing an unacceptable amount of optical distortion. Since this is not considered an accident he should be able to get the windshield replaced without having to pay the deductible. But if he does have to pay the deductible it might be possible to get the car painted on the same nickel. He just needs to get a "professional" to determine that the damage cannot be polished out:buffing:

I tried and at night when headlights would hit the window you could hardly see out of it, look like it was in a hazy. Daytime was not bad just night driving.

$1000.00 on deductible on comprehensive? Usually comprehensive carries a lot lower deductible than the collision or liability side of policy. It is has 1000.00 would be almost useless!!!

ronin
02-02-2008, 09:54 AM
You tried polishing it?

Which kit did you use?

Tonya
02-03-2008, 08:46 AM
WOW Jimmie have you tired this one yet? did you take any pics? If you need help posting pics send me an e-mail!

Jimmie
02-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks everyone. I was thinking lost cause. You gave me a lot of good info that I will pass to him. Haven't tried anything yet ronin. Next tuesday I'm going to clay and light polish if he opts after he gets the info here.

ronin
02-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Keep us posted.

I'd like to know if you make any progress. For the time being I am going to live with my scratches and be extra careful.