PDA

View Full Version : Recommended coatings for brake caliper

4mulafastech
03-17-2018, 09:19 AM
I am looking for any recommendations on a durable, over-the-counter coating that works good on brake calipers. I have a 2018 Camaro 1LE with red painted Brembo calipers. Thanks!

Eldorado2k
03-17-2018, 09:29 AM
Over the counter eh? Well there’s a certain product that’s easily found over the counter by AA that’s meant to protect wheels. It repels brake dust & dirt like nothing else when it works. Connect the dots and you’ll know what I’m talking about.[emoji1419]

MikeC78
03-17-2018, 10:31 AM
Unless he meant "Over on AG"? ;) You could use Carpro Dlux.

LEDetailing
03-17-2018, 01:21 PM
No recommendations, but congrats on your purchase of one of the best performance cars. Exotic car performance for 1/4 the price:)

The Guz
03-17-2018, 02:47 PM
Unfortunately you won't find any coatings over the counter at your local auto parts stores.

Autogeek has plenty of options for coatings that will work such as CarPro DLUX, Gyeon Rim and the list goes on.

4mulafastech
03-17-2018, 04:37 PM
I should have been more clear. By over the counter I meant you didn’t have to be a professional dealer/installer. Every detailing product I buy usually comes from AG.

4mulafastech
03-17-2018, 07:08 PM
No recommendations, but congrats on your purchase of one of the best performance cars. Exotic car performance for 1/4 the price:)

Thanks! It is an amazing handling machine at a great value. Nice 4th gen bird!

4mulafastech
03-17-2018, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the recommendations so far. There are so many coatings available on AG. I assume for brake calipers the best type need to withstand high heat. Looking for ones that seem to hold up best from experience.

MikeC78
03-18-2018, 09:36 AM
Id be surprised if any coating on a caliper lasts longer than 6 months.

BudgetPlan1
03-18-2018, 11:30 AM
Any wheel coating Gyeon Rim, Gtechniq C5 would work well.

DaveT435
03-18-2018, 12:01 PM
Gtechniq C5 will probably be one of the longest lasting in that level of coating. You might get a year out of it at best, depends a lot on driving habits.

Nice car!

4mulafastech
03-18-2018, 01:11 PM
Thanks guys. I’m going to give the Gtechniq C5 a shot. Sorry for the newbie question, but I’ve never used a coating like this before. On AG it says to use lint-free applicator pads, and shows a couple in the picture. They look like disposable pads, but don’t say how many are included. Can these pads be purchased separately too?

The Guz
03-18-2018, 01:53 PM
C5 comes with I believe 4 applicators. I forget since the last time I used it on a set of wheels a few weeks ago. Essentially one for each wheel. You could probably get away with using 1 or 2. If you need more I would look into getting some suede applicators from CarPro or the Gyeon. I recall reading that C5 is rated somewhere around greater than 500 degrees or so.

Gyeon Rim comes with everything you need in the package as well and Jeff from Gyeon stated it has temp tolerance of 1400 degrees per his write up

How To: Protect Your Wheels with GYEON quartz Q2 Rim (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/gyeon-car-care-products/118032-how-protect-your-wheels-gyeon-quartz-q2-rim.html)

CarPro DLUX claim a range exceeding 800 degrees. This also comes with everything you need. I got 1 year out of it on my wheels with little maintenance.

The only thing you need is some sort of prep wipe or IPA wipe to prep the surface.

4mulafastech
03-18-2018, 02:19 PM
C5 comes with I believe 4 applicators. I forget since the last time I used it on a set of wheels a few weeks ago. Essentially one for each wheel. You could probably get away with using 1 or 2. If you need more I would look into getting some suede applicators from CarPro or the Gyeon. I recall reading that C5 is rated somewhere around greater than 500 degrees or so.

Gyeon Rim comes with everything you need in the package as well and Jeff from Gyeon stated it has temp tolerance of 1400 degrees per his write up

How To: Protect Your Wheels with GYEON quartz Q2 Rim (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/gyeon-car-care-products/118032-how-protect-your-wheels-gyeon-quartz-q2-rim.html)

CarPro DLUX claim a range exceeding 800 degrees. This also comes with everything you need. I got 1 year out of it on my wheels with little maintenance.

The only thing you need is some sort of prep wipe or IPA wipe to prep the surface.

Great info. Thanks.

Rsurfer
03-18-2018, 02:21 PM
Nothing can be easier to maintain your wheels and brake system than Hydro2.. spray on and rinse. Wheels and calipers protected.