PDA

View Full Version : clay leaving holograms

Pages : [1] 2

parshisa
03-16-2018, 10:16 PM
Today was the second time i’ve used mothers clay. First time it was in january and i thought it was a little too cold (65ish), clay was hard and left some holograms. But today, it was around 80 and clay was buttery soft, and it leaves a ton of holograms again!!! I’m very disappointed, never happened to me before with Meguiars clay. Anyone else faced this issue before?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

FrankS
03-16-2018, 10:27 PM
What kind/color of car do you have?

Could it be the residue from the clay lube you’re using?

parshisa
03-16-2018, 10:29 PM
What kind/color of car do you have?

Could it be the residue from the clay lube you’re using?

Frankly, both cars were grey metallic (honda and wv). Residue was my first thought as well, but then it failed to be buffed off. Light polish takes it off but still it’s kind of weird to see this happening

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

FrankS
03-16-2018, 10:36 PM
Did you clay in straight lines or circular patterns?

parshisa
03-16-2018, 10:37 PM
Did you clay in straight lines or circular patterns?

Straight lines. And that matches with scratches pattern

FrankS
03-16-2018, 10:44 PM
I’ve never used Mothers clay but clay does have abrasives in it, some more than others.

Looks like it’s marring from the abrasives in the clay. Appears to be more abrasive than Meguiars.

Eldorado2k
03-16-2018, 11:01 PM
Cell phone? Pics? You can use the Tapatalk app to post pics.[emoji328]

SWETM
03-17-2018, 04:18 AM
What clay lube did you use?

mbkite
03-17-2018, 06:58 AM
I never seen a situation when clay doesn't leave a mess to polish off

Calendyr
03-17-2018, 07:12 AM
Clay is abrasive and can leave some micro marring on it own. If the panel is really dirty and you pickup dirt in your claybar then drag is across the paint, it will leave scratches. Again, if the panel is really contaminated, as your clay bar fills up with contaminants, your chances of marring the paint increases.

With all that being said, I have never noticed any visible marring on silver paint. Very hard hard to see defects on silver paint, so it has to be extensive to see it.

What technique are you using? How do you lubricate? What pressure are you using? When do you fold the clay? How do you wipe the panels after claying? And how do you clean the panels before claying?

parshisa
03-17-2018, 08:41 AM
Clay is abrasive and can leave some micro marring on it own. If the panel is really dirty and you pickup dirt in your claybar then drag is across the paint, it will leave scratches. Again, if the panel is really contaminated, as your clay bar fills up with contaminants, your chances of marring the paint increases.

With all that being said, I have never noticed any visible marring on silver paint. Very hard hard to see defects on silver paint, so it has to be extensive to see it.

What technique are you using? How do you lubricate? What pressure are you using? When do you fold the clay? How do you wipe the panels after claying? And how do you clean the panels before claying?

Panel washed, ironx, tarx, washed again, diluted ONR used as a lubricant, light to no pressure gliding across the panel in straight lines. Done it before with megs clay multiple times with no issue.

4mulafastech
03-17-2018, 08:53 AM
I’ve never used Mother’s Clay, but recently used Pinnacle’s Ultra Poly Clay with the Pinnacle Clay Lubricant on a new black Camaro. No problems with holograms or any marring.

FUNX650
03-17-2018, 09:04 AM
•I’ve never seen holograms that are
a direct result from the claying process.

-Instead:
Holograms are a direct result from using
(some say misusing) a Rotary Polisher.

Just curious:
Has this vehicle recently been subjected
to (a victim of) “The Rotary Experience”?

Bob

WRAPT C5Z06
03-17-2018, 10:01 AM
I never seen a situation when clay doesn't leave a mess to polish off
Agreed. Harder paint may have less.

•I’ve never seen holograms that are
a direct result from the claying process.

-Instead:
Holograms are a direct result from using
(some say misusing) a Rotary Polisher.

Just curious:
Has this vehicle recently been subjected
to (a victim of) “The Rotary Experience”?

Bob
I think he may be confusing holograms with marring.

DaveT435
03-17-2018, 11:15 AM
It could leave scratches, but as mentioned earlier in this thread holograms are a scratch pattern unique to rotary use. The car I'm working on had them. Do they look like this.

Sorry for the small photo, used AG's software to upload it