PDA

View Full Version : High Hopes for OptiBond Tire Gel...sort of...

geoguy
03-14-2018, 09:08 PM
Hey Guys,

So I recently bought some OptiBond Tire Gel and I guess I have somewhat some expectations for it on tires. I have stock Dunlop tires on my new 4Runner and have tried 303 (decent satin sheen, but didn't last as others have said and didn't expect much), Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant (ok satin sheen, didn't last more than a couple of days), DG 352 (with Rain Repel!) and it didn't last more than a day or so, and Meguiar's tire coating (OTC) that lasted 2-3 days. Each of these instances there wasn't any rain. I cleaned the tires before each of these applications with either OPC (1:3 - 1:5) or Zep 505 (bad idea as I thing it caused more tire browning). Am I in some kind of tire dressing black hole or am I just doing it wrong?

So back to OptiBond... I am waiting for temps to get above 30 here in Michigan so I can do a decent wash and want to try OptiBond. I know it it is water-based and won't last that long, but I any hoping for at least a week. I also just purchased UTTG+, but don't want to use it on tires because of cost, but I want something to look decent for more than a few days.

Any Suggestions? Help?

-Geoguy

lane5515
03-14-2018, 09:20 PM
My go to is Opti-Bond diluted 1:1. I always put it on heavy and let it sit for several hours if possible and wipe any remaining excess off with a mf towel. I use Shine Supply Wise Guy 1:2.5 or McKee's Tire and Rubber Rejuvenator to clean the tires before each application.

FUNX650
03-14-2018, 10:07 PM
•Are the tire dressings, themselves, actually
gone in day or so; or are you talking about the
sheen (imparted from those dressings) tapering
off, in a very dramatic fashion, over a short
period of time?

•Optimum Opti-Bond is one of my favorite
tire dressings. But be forewarned that it,
too, may lose some of its sheen soon-ish
after being applied—that’s just the way I
like it to look. Of course: YMMV.

Bob

geoguy
03-15-2018, 12:10 AM
Funx650,

The "dressings" appear to be gone based on sheen, shine, and the tires look like bare rubber. Granted, I drive 70+ "country" miles a day to the office.

Where abouts are you in Ohio? I grew up and went to College in NW Ohio?

-Groggy

geoguy
03-15-2018, 12:11 AM
Darn Autocorrect!

It's not Groggy! (except in the morning!)

-Geoguy

Eldorado2k
03-15-2018, 12:57 AM
Hey Guys,

So I recently bought some OptiBond Tire Gel and I guess I have somewhat some expectations for it on tires. I have stock Dunlop tires on my new 4Runner and have tried 303 (decent satin sheen, but didn't last as others have said and didn't expect much), Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant (ok satin sheen, didn't last more than a couple of days), DG 352 (with Rain Repel!) and it didn't last more than a day or so, and Meguiar's tire coating (OTC) that lasted 2-3 days. Each of these instances there wasn't any rain. I cleaned the tires before each of these applications with either OPC (1:3 - 1:5) or Zep 505 (bad idea as I thing it caused more tire browning). Am I in some kind of tire dressing black hole or am I just doing it wrong?

I can’t think of many more worse products to use on tires than the ones you listed here. [and yes I know 303 is good for your tires, but that stuff’s not going to last]

I recommend Meguiars Hyper Dressing diluted 1:1
This is what it looks like the day it’s applied.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180315/fa3ad2489cd8143fc7bd89985294d863.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180315/9617b3c8afbc287da0cbf945d86aead5.jpg

It’s a water based dressing, so yes it tones down a bit after a day or 2, but it leaves a clean black tire that with continued use penetrates and conditions the rubber, leaving you with continuous black tires that stay looking good.

This is 12 days after applying Hyper Dressing. [in good weather]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180315/886d703d4685452ed24252860d65ec3e.jpg

Use it @1:1

Another option you may want to consider is Meguiars All Season Dressing.

sudsmobile
03-15-2018, 01:26 AM
My go to is Opti-Bond diluted 1:1. I always put it on heavy and let it sit for several hours if possible and wipe any remaining excess off with a mf towel. I use Shine Supply Wise Guy 1:2.5 or McKee's Tire and Rubber Rejuvenator to clean the tires before each application.

I use Wise Guy as well. I can't believe how clean it gets tires compared to using APC for example.