PDA

View Full Version : Which Meguiar's steps to take.

carlg
03-14-2018, 06:14 AM
So, I've just decided to use the Meguiar's system again with the car I recently purchased.

Paint is in pretty good shape but does have some swirls that can be seen with the proper light and angle. Clay bar is needed based off of plastic baggie test.

Should I
Wash-->Clay-->SwirlX-->Ultimate Polish --> Carnuba Wax

or
Wash-->Clay-->SwirlX--> Carnuba Wax

UP and SwirlX seem to be very similar which is why I am asking if I really need to do both.

Hammer77
03-14-2018, 06:34 AM
Depends on how bad the swirls are. Do a test spot with the UP first it might take care of them, if it doesn't, go to the other product and work your way up. Any pictures?

carlg
03-14-2018, 06:46 AM
No pictures.

I guess my question is then, will I ever need both of those products on the same job?
Or are they kind of mutually exclusive?

Mike Phillips
03-14-2018, 07:39 AM
No pictures.

I guess my question is then, will I ever need both of those products on the same job?

Or are they kind of mutually exclusive?

No. I don't know the specific differences but both are light cutting polishes.

Use one or the other but not both. If these are not getting the job done then you need Ultimate Compound followed by one of these product and then followed by sealing the paint.

Hope that helps...

:)

carlg
03-14-2018, 08:46 AM
Great thanks,
So then my choices (based upon results from test spot) are
Wash --> Clay --> UC -->Swirlx Or UP --> Wax

if UC is not needed, then

Wash--> Clay --> Swirlx or UP --> Wax

If UC is not needed then only 4 steps.

Desertnate
03-14-2018, 09:19 AM
I think you have it now!

I always try to keep both a compound and a polish on hand along with a variety of pads of different grades. Not only does this allow you more flexibility when doing test spots, but it also give you the ability to respond better to different situations. Most of the vehicle may only need a finishing polish, but you never know when you'll have an isolated spot that is worse off than the rest of the vehicle, or some random mark that is a bit deeper which can't be removed by a polish. In those cases you treat the isolated spot and then go back to your original approach for the rest of the job.