PDA

View Full Version : Chemicals on "coated" brake rotors

01AUDI
03-10-2018, 10:26 AM
I just got some new brake rotors and they say they are coated to help rust and corrosion. Question is, can i use a tar remover, wheel cleaner, apc on them or will that generally take away from that coating. I know this is a car part question, but if anyone has ever ran into this or have any advice on what to use, i am not putting too much into this "coating" belief but id like to to try and preserve it if possible.

FUNX650
03-10-2018, 11:38 AM
There are many factors that can be
attributed to the (eventual) breaking
down of the Rotor coating.

Using the least aggressive cleaning
products can, no doubt, prolong its
expected service life.

Keep in mind that:
•If nothing else, the brake pads will
create a “burn-path” in the coating.
-That burn-path will then be just as
susceptible to the same type of
‘damages’ that uncoated rotors face.

:idea:
•Just as another “layer-of-protection”:
-You might want to investigate the
benefits of using the following product:
Hyde's Serum Rust Stopper, rustopper, anti-rust solution for wheels (https://www.autogeek.net/hydes-serum-rust-stopper.html)

Bob

2black1s
03-10-2018, 12:37 PM
There is no such thing as a "permanent" rotor coating that could withstand braking operation that I'm aware of, except on the non-friction surfaces. When rotor manufacturers refer to corrosion resistant coatings, those coatings are typically only applied to the non-friction surfaces.

I would clean the friction surface with acetone, lacquer thinner, brake cleaner, or something similar prior to installation of the brake pads.

Rsurfer
03-10-2018, 12:46 PM
My question is "why bother"?

Eldorado2k
03-10-2018, 01:01 PM
My question is "why bother"?

I don’t think he’s going to try and specifically clean his brake rotors, but more just wondering if he can clean his wheels with the typical wheel cleaners that he mentioned without them somehow negatively affecting his new brake components.

expdetailing
03-10-2018, 01:05 PM
The manufacturer may be referring to the greasy coating that is applied to prevent surface rust caused by moisture while the rotors are waiting to be installed by someone. Typically, it is advised to clean rotors with dishsoap and water before installation. Be sure to clean any greasy coating where the pads will make contact with the rotor.

01AUDI
03-10-2018, 01:06 PM
I don’t think he’s going to try and specifically clean his brake rotors, but more just wondering if he can clean his wheels with the typical wheel cleaners that he mentioned without them somehow negatively affecting his new brake components.

Yes, sorry for not being more clear but this is what i am asking. I am skeptical anyway about this "coating" but yes it is applied to the non friction areas and I am looking to know if there are any "safe" cleaners i should use, or if there are some cleaners that i should stay away from while cleaning my wheel area. I am bound to get it on my rotors so if i have to buy new wheel cleaner anyway i might as well look for one that wont break down this "coating" after one use!

Tempest45
03-10-2018, 01:29 PM
Ferritic-nitro carburizing is a form of heat treat that greatly increases corrosion resistance. This is not on the metal, it is in the metal. GM has been using this for several years.

If your rotors have some sort of paint finish, it is not FNC.

If the paint can survive the heat of brakes, I would suspect it to be very resistant to most chemicals.

DaveT435
03-10-2018, 01:53 PM
I just got some new brake rotors and they say they are coated to help rust and corrosion. Question is, can i use a tar remover, wheel cleaner, apc on them or will that generally take away from that coating. I know this is a car part question, but if anyone has ever ran into this or have any advice on what to use, i am not putting too much into this "coating" belief but id like to to try and preserve it if possible.

That's just to protect them during shipping and while sitting on a store shelf. Most instructions that come with them say to remove it with brake cleaner before installing. You have nothing to worry about going forward. Use the same products you always have.

01AUDI
03-10-2018, 02:27 PM
this is from their website.. maybe it helps, maybe it is BS. There wasn't much about it which leads me to believe its marketing but thought I'd bring it up in case i am wrong..

"Premium Wagner® Brake rotors are engineered for maximum performance with an E-Shield® protective electro-coating applied to all non-braking surfaces. This black-colored coating prevents corrosion, makes removal for service fast and simple, and is visually attractive for open spoke wheels. A turned, smooth surface finish aids in the proper seating of the friction and requires less time for rotor “break-in".

SWETM
03-10-2018, 03:30 PM
It's a kind of powder coating but instead of spray paint they have a bath that they put material in. Then electric is indused and the paint is on the rotor for this example. And then baked in an oven for curing. So treat it as a paint I think is the way. Don't know if it's special sensitive to certain chemicals or ph levels. But as with most harsher chemicals is to not let it dry on surfaces and thoroughly rinsed when used. And don't apply anything on hot surfaces. So if you have driven it before washing let it cool down or rinse with cold water. That's what's comes to mind.

Edit: Maybe a ceramic coating like carpro dlux that are heat resistant would be a benefit to apply.

Edit 2: They don't recommend to use brake cleaner when installing the rotors since they comes in a special bag it's not oil on them. So a soap wash with a brush is only needed.
Installing E-Shield Brake Rotors | Wagner Brake (http://www.wagnerbrake.com/technical/technical-tips/preparing-e-shield-rotors.html)

DaveT435
03-10-2018, 09:18 PM
Guess I was wrong on that one. I've done a lot if brakes in my day not to mention spending my life in the tire business. I've never seen any rotors with any kind of paint or powder coating on them...