PDA

View Full Version : Storing rinseless between washes

Pages : [1] 2

oneheadlite
03-08-2018, 01:55 PM
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a container to use/store rinseless wash.

So far I've just been using 5 gallon buckets with Gamma seal lids, but since I most often just use the multi-towel/mitt approach, I usually only mix a gallon or two at a time. I store all my detailing stuff in the basement to keep it away from freezing/heat, and I'd like to cut down on having a stack of 5 gallon buckets down there.

I'd like to find something in the 2-2.5 gallon range that seals well to prevent spills/spoilage (I use distilled water, but every little bit helps).

I know the easy answer is to just pour whatever's left back in a gallon jug, but it'd be nice to just be able to grab and go.

What are folks using?

Tempest45
03-09-2018, 01:59 PM
Gamma seal makes lids for 2 gallon buckets.

howardm4
03-09-2018, 03:15 PM
I have a bunch of 3.5gl buckets (often used for pool supplies) and they use the same lid as 5gl buckets.

Klasse Act
03-09-2018, 06:39 PM
How about some of those large, cat liter containers with screw on caps? Those seem to be larger than a gallon IIRC, I've used them for this use before:xyxthumbs:

Eldorado2k
03-09-2018, 07:25 PM
I have a bunch of 3.5gl buckets (often used for pool supplies) and they use the same lid as 5gl buckets.

This.^
They make smaller buckets.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180310/326410e4b0ef5e08e81dd7ccbbf1f67c.jpg

TTQ B4U
03-09-2018, 09:24 PM
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a container to use/store rinseless wash.

So far I've just been using 5 gallon buckets with Gamma seal lids, but since I most often just use the multi-towel/mitt approach, I usually only mix a gallon or two at a time. I store all my detailing stuff in the basement to keep it away from freezing/heat, and I'd like to cut down on having a stack of 5 gallon buckets down there.

I'd like to find something in the 2-2.5 gallon range that seals well to prevent spills/spoilage (I use distilled water, but every little bit helps).

I know the easy answer is to just pour whatever's left back in a gallon jug, but it'd be nice to just be able to grab and go.

What are folks using?

I use 5 gals but if you want smaller just hit up a paint store and use their 1 or 2 gal buckets with lids. they should work fine. I have several from Home Depot that I use for various things. Cheap and decent quality.

ducksfan
03-10-2018, 05:12 AM
Check these out:

Hudson Exchange 2.5 Gallon UN Hedpak HDPE Container With 63mm Caps, Pack of 2 | eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hudson-Exchange-2-5-Gallon-UN-Hedpak-HDPE-Container-With-63mm-Caps-Pack-of-2-/252745939085?hash=item3ad8d4f88d)

They're a big step up from cat litter containers (Which will eventually leak all over your stuff. Been there.). 2 1/2 gallon size and basically the same size as cat litter containers.

howardm4
03-10-2018, 07:58 AM
One thing to consider is 'will the GritGuard fit'. I *know* that the std. GG will fit 5 & 3.5gl but I can't say that about the small ones.
Also, on the 3.5gl, the GG raises the minimum water level to 1gl (right to the top of the GG).

jdgamble
03-11-2018, 11:23 AM
I just got a Gamma seal lid because of this thread. Any idea how long I can store rinseless solution before it gets funky? I'm gonna go get 3 gallons of distilled water.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

oneheadlite
03-11-2018, 02:25 PM
Thanks for all the input!

Not too worried about the grit guard, the idea is to keep the bucket/container mixed and ready to go for the “multi media” approach- either a stack of towels dunked in there, or very likely Eldo’s multi-mitt tactic. Whatever the media it wouldn’t go back to the bucket.

I just got a Gamma seal lid because of this thread. Any idea how long I can store rinseless solution before it gets funky? I'm gonna go get 3 gallons of distilled water.

Using distilled water and keeping the mix inside when not in use, it’s a pretty long while. I’ve got a bucket each of N-914 and the Griot’s rinseless that are over a month old with no signs of funk/separating.

oneheadlite
03-11-2018, 09:08 PM
I use 5 gals but if you want smaller just hit up a paint store and use their 1 or 2 gal buckets with lids. they should work fine. I have several from Home Depot that I use for various things. Cheap and decent quality.

I’ve had the smaller size lowes/Home Depot buckets in my cart a few times, but end up bailing since it doesn’t have a more substantial lid. I should just get a couple and try it out. It’s not like I’m throwing the buckets around, so the lid is more to keep debris out than anything.

The gamma seal lid is convenient, but I can’t imagine it preserving the mix any longer based on the amount of airspace above the liquid in a bigger bucket. That’s also why I make sure to use distilled water for any long term mix.

Check these out:

Hudson Exchange 2.5 Gallon UN Hedpak HDPE Container With 63mm Caps, Pack of 2 | eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hudson-Exchange-2-5-Gallon-UN-Hedpak-HDPE-Container-With-63mm-Caps-Pack-of-2-/252745939085?hash=item3ad8d4f88d)

They're a big step up from cat litter containers (Which will eventually leak all over your stuff. Been there.). 2 1/2 gallon size and basically the same size as cat litter containers.

After looking at a bunch of Hudson exchange containers , looks like they might be a manufacturer for windshield washer fluid jugs. Ironically, I’ve been using these (after rinsing them out thoroughly) to store single gallon mixes. The jugs that the distilled water I get are super thin, and I’ve had them leak. Because of work, I’ve got access to many empty washer jugs, so it’s easy to grab a couple as needed.

Wow this thread outs how cheap I am. :laughing:

Cleankat
03-11-2018, 09:10 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)I stored my Uber rinse less for a month easily with no issues ever. For some reason the N914 starts to get a funky smell after a week or two and I always use distilled water. Not sure why. Other than that I love the 914 but due to the fact that I store it may be switching back to Uber... Never once had the smell issue with it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ducksfan
03-12-2018, 11:56 PM
I’ve had the smaller size lowes/Home Depot buckets in my cart a few times, but end up bailing since it doesn’t have a more substantial lid. I should just get a couple and try it out. It’s not like I’m throwing the buckets around, so the lid is more to keep debris out than anything.

The gamma seal lid is convenient, but I can’t imagine it preserving the mix any longer based on the amount of airspace above the liquid in a bigger bucket. That’s also why I make sure to use distilled water for any long term mix.

After looking at a bunch of Hudson exchange containers , looks like they might be a manufacturer for windshield washer fluid jugs. Ironically, I’ve been using these (after rinsing them out thoroughly) to store single gallon mixes. The jugs that the distilled water I get are super thin, and I’ve had them leak. Because of work, I’ve got access to many empty washer jugs, so it’s easy to grab a couple as needed.

Wow this thread outs how cheap I am. :laughing:

These are a lot thicker than any retail jugs you will find.

TMQ
03-13-2018, 03:30 AM
Stored N-914 once and it got kind of weird looking after a couple of weeks. Had to toss it....

Worst with ONR...

Tom

oneheadlite
03-13-2018, 07:59 AM
I'm gonna have to go revisit the last of the N-914 and see if I'm crazy. When it goes wrong, how does it change? What's the smell like/what's it look like?

I had noticed the 914 bucket didn't smell like the straight concentrate fresh out of the bottle, but I guess to me it just smelled like 5 gallon bucket?

This was with distilled water?