PDA

View Full Version : Smudge

Pages : [1] 2

Jose1959
03-07-2018, 06:36 PM
I just got thru about 2 hours ago applying the cure on a real dark blue truck. Now it's smudged all over. Just keep rubbing or did I screw up?

Jose1959
03-08-2018, 10:00 PM
Wow no replies. I called another company and got some insight on my issue . Thanks anyway.

The Guz
03-08-2018, 11:25 PM
Streaking is often caused by using too much product. Some dilute cure 1:1 with water to limit streaking as well.

Jeff at Gyeon
03-09-2018, 09:20 AM
Wow no replies. I called another company and got some insight on my issue . Thanks anyway.

Jose, as committed as I am to contributing to the forum there will likely be times when an immediate response is not possible. If you have a formal question or concern you are more than welcome to write a formal email or call in to speak to me directly. The forum is not going to be the best place for pressing issues.

Streaking, with any product is a direct sign over over use. The surface on which you are applying the product can only absorb so much material. Once it has reached its limit you will see streaks. I always like to have a secondary removal towel available when applying Q2 Cure so I can easily and immediately go over the area to which I just applied it and pick up any excess material.

Jose1959
03-09-2018, 09:09 PM
I tried calling and I don't think a windex type product is the answer. I really don't think I over applied. It was probably my negligence to wipe it off completely although I did double wipe each section. The problem didn't seem to appear till I applied the cure. It appears like a oily sheen , my towels were new. My concern is removing the smudges which what I'm being told should come out with a polish. Could the prep product work?

SWETM
03-10-2018, 03:52 AM
Did you wash your new mf towels before first use? Most of them are treated with some kind of anti mold product and need to be washed before used. I would do a wash of the car and see what happens if the oily smudges remains. If possible use something like Gyeon Bathe or carpro reset that leaves nothing behind. And if you have McKees 37 N-914 on hands do a rinseless wash with and if the smudges is still there do a wipe down with N-914 at panel wipe strength. If you have a prewash product or a degreaser to use before washing it's a good thing to use before washing. And after the wash if smudges remains a wipe down with Gyeon Prep can solve the smudges.

What is your base protection to your paint?

When you are doing the next Cure application think that a big panel like roof or hood only needs 2-3 sprays. I like to when first starting on say the roof to prime the mf towel with one spray and then one more to the mf towel. Spread the product to half the roof and directly follow with another buff off with a second mf towel. Then spray one time again in the application mf towel and spread to the other half of the roof and buff off. Move on to the hood and do the same there. And to the other panels one spray is only needed to get coverage since the mf towel becomes saturated with product. If you want to spray direct to the panels I would do as Guz says and dilute it 1:1 with destilled water.

Jeff at Gyeon
03-10-2018, 11:30 AM
I tried calling and I don't think a windex type product is the answer. I really don't think I over applied. It was probably my negligence to wipe it off completely although I did double wipe each section. The problem didn't seem to appear till I applied the cure. It appears like a oily sheen , my towels were new. My concern is removing the smudges which what I'm being told should come out with a polish. Could the prep product work?

Are you applying Cure directly to the paint or spraying on to a Microfiber towel and then applying? I always apply a few sprays to a microfiber towel and then work in to the paint.

FUNX650
03-10-2018, 11:58 AM
Are you applying Cure directly to the paint
or spraying on to a Microfiber towel and
then applying?

I always apply a few sprays to a microfiber
towel and then work in to the paint.

"GYEON Q2M Cure should be used on a
clean, dry surface outside of direct sunlight.

Spray it directly onto the surface and spread
an even layer using a Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber
towel.

Flip the towel and buff the surface to a shine."

Source: GYEON Q2M Cure - 400 ml (https://www.autogeek.net/gyeon-cure.html)

Another reason why, IMO, it's utterly important
to have product description pages that contain:
"The Rest of the Story" (~Paul Harvey)

Bob

Jeff at Gyeon
03-10-2018, 12:59 PM
"GYEON Q2M Cure should be used on a
clean, dry surface outside of direct sunlight.

Spray it directly onto the surface and spread
an even layer using a Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber
towel.

Flip the towel and buff the surface to a shine."

Source: GYEON Q2M Cure - 400 ml (https://www.autogeek.net/gyeon-cure.html)

Another reason why, IMO, it's utterly important
to have product description pages that contain:
"The Rest of the Story" (~Paul Harvey)

Bob

Thanks Bob. The procedure mentioned in the product description will absolutely work. But if someone isn't having luck with that method, should I not provide an alternate? You can absolutely spray Cure directly on to paint and work it in. If someone is seeing streaks it is 9/10 because of too much product used or Cure used too often. So spraying on to a towel first and then applying will help. There is no one single way to use any product. There are many variables involved as well as personal preference. My personal preference is to spray on to a towel first and then apply.

Eldorado2k
03-10-2018, 01:05 PM
Thanks Bob.

Around here we call him Joaquin. Lol.

Eldorado2k
03-10-2018, 01:11 PM
...Or are you Joaquin? Nevermind. Lol.

Jeff at Gyeon
03-10-2018, 01:35 PM
...Or are you Joaquin? Nevermind. Lol.

Ahhhhh I see. Because I addressed him as Joaquin mistaking his quote as a signature. Good one.

Jose1959
03-10-2018, 04:55 PM
Ok. I didn't wash the micro fibers. I really don't think I overapplied but I guess it's possible . My plan is wash try the prep if that doesn't help. Polish it. My main concern is it setting in until I can get back to it. Thanks for all replys .

SWETM
03-10-2018, 05:41 PM
The mf towels when they are not washed first often is not so absorbant. That with the combo of over applying leads to streaking. There is sio2 in gyeon cure as I understand it and could couse high spots. But there are so little of it in it so don't think it's high spots that would need to be polished off. But maybe the gyeon rep could recommend what to use to clean it up.
One thing I know sio2 are sensetive to is high alkaline products. So if you have meguiars super degreaser d108 would take care of it. Do 1 panel at the time and spray it on diluted 1:4. Spray only on the clearcoat and work your way from top to bottom. Let it dwell for 45-60 seconds and rinse thoroughly it of with a PW or a strong water pressure from the hose. Or use another APC diluted with a ph level above 12. Do a little test spot to see if it works first to an area where the streaking is the worst. Do a wash directly after the APC treatment but it's not unsafe to use as long as you don't let it dry and rinsed of well.

BudgetPlan1
03-10-2018, 06:01 PM
Heck, I'd just wash the car first and see if it goes away. I ran into same kinda thing after doing a black car with Prime and then dropping some Cure on it. Gyeon Prep took care of it if immediate resolution is desired.

I could streak distilled water coming outta a spray bottle...its a special talent I have.