PDA

View Full Version : Using MEK around new paint and coatings...

MrRoo
03-07-2018, 11:28 AM
First post here. Been following for a long time. I have been helping an aviation paint shop do details. I ceramic coated a plane. After that they did a start up on it an it blew oil all over the whole plane. This is normal for a radial engine. The guys in the shop thought it would be easy to use MEK to wipe off the oil. On top of that, they used paper towels. I was not there and did not know they did this till I came in to final inspect. I was not happy as it ruined the ceramic coating. Had to completely buff off and start over. $1000 in product and countless hours wasted. My main question is what would you recommend to clean oil safely off fresh paint without harming the ceramic coatings or paint? I am working with mostly new paint jobs as we are a paint shop. Sometimes base/clear and sometimes single stage paint.

ronkh57
03-07-2018, 11:35 AM
Why the double posts?

FUNX650
03-07-2018, 02:38 PM
First post here. Been following for a long time. I have been helping an aviation paint shop do details. I ceramic coated a plane. After that they did a start up on it an it blew oil all over the whole plane. This is normal for a radial engine. The guys in the shop thought it would be easy to use MEK to wipe off the oil. On top of that, they used paper towels. I was not there and did not know they did this till I came in to final inspect. I was not happy as it ruined the ceramic coating. Had to completely buff off and start over. $1000 in product and countless hours wasted.

My main question is what would you recommend
to clean oil safely off fresh paint without harming
the ceramic coatings or paint?

I am working with mostly new paint jobs
as we are a paint shop...

-Should fresh/new paint jobs
be ‘Ceramic Coated’?

{Just wondering about freshly sprayed
aviation paints having a designated
off-gassing allotted time period; or no.}

Bob

olariu
03-07-2018, 04:42 PM
I used to use MEK to degrease lead cores as part of bullet swaging. MEK makes lacquer thinner seem like mother's milk.

FUNX650
03-07-2018, 06:24 PM
MEK makes lacquer thinner
seem like mother's milk.
^^^ :iagree:

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-09/documents/methyl-ethyl-ketone.pdf

Bob

KBsToy
03-08-2018, 09:13 AM
*****Work with MEK when I did sheetmetal / fuel tank repairs on C-130`s. This stuff is HAZARDOUS if you use it please use correct safety gear******

MrRoo
03-08-2018, 02:50 PM
According to our painters and in house chemist, the fresh paint is out gassed after about 2 weeks when baked. It's about 3 weeks before I get to coat them. Most people are saying non baked about a month to cure. I've never seen an issue in 14 years of working in a shop with wax on fresh paint. I'm getting some flack from people saying ceramic isn't good if it doesn't hold up to MEK. Thoughts on that?