PDA

View Full Version : The details: What have learned since you joined AGO

Pages : [1] 2

LEDetailing
03-06-2018, 10:34 AM
I always thought I knew what I was doing when it came to detailing cars, then I joined Autogeek Online and I realized I hardly knew anything.

List some of the areas on the car or detailing techniques/tools you didn’t know about until you joined AGO:

Here are a few of mine.

- Using iron removers to get bonded contamination off the paint.

- Properly cleaning my tires. I never really thought about this, unless tires had dirty raised white letters or white walls.

- wheel barrels, always bothered me, but never had an easy way to clean them other than removal of the wheel. Thank you Daytona Speedmaster brushes!

- Quality wheel cleaners, Simple Green was my go to. Don’t even use it anymore.

- Polishing tail lamps and other trim. I always noticed the swirls and scratches, but had no idea how to polish those areas

-DA polishers: especially long throw polishers, Rupes/Flex, no idea those companies existed.

-Good quality brushes, MF towels, and wash mitts. Man, that was an expensive discovery:)

-Polishes and compounds that weren’t manufactured by 3M. Sonax, Menzerna, 3D, and Griots, all companies that could have manufactured sewing machines for all I knew.

I could probably name literally hundreds more, but these were the ones that came to mind.

Mike Phillips
03-06-2018, 10:50 AM
Great thread!

I came to Autogeek from Meguiar's in 2009 and to be honest, I didn't know anything about Autogeek. After about a month of working here at the Geek the most important thing I learned was...

To always be open minded to new tools, pads, products and procedures....

Technology is changing so fast that the ONLY way to stay up with what's new is to be connected online and because Autogeek is the worlds largest online supplier of car detailing "technology" this forum tends to be on the cutting edge of what's coming up next.

:)

Hammer77
03-06-2018, 11:15 AM
Like you LED, I thought I knew a lot! I was a OTC Meguiars guy for a long time. In August 2015 I was watching a video on YouTube, the guy in the video mentioned where he got his machine. So I checked out the website, within 20 minutes was calling in a order for the same polisher. Then I found the forum, eye opening! In the 2 plus years my knowledge has went up, and so did my credit card bills. I look at it as the price of tuition.

Before Ag I had no knowledge off

1. Coatings
2. Drying a car with a blower - never thought of that
3. RW
4. Foam Cannon

Just to name a few. Thanks AGO for existing!

briarpatch
03-06-2018, 11:44 AM
I basically had no idea about anything before joining...if you'd seen my vehicles, you would've guessed that for sure. It would be a very long list if I tried to recount everything I've learned. One thing's for sure, I've learned not to be afraid to ask questions.

Route246
03-06-2018, 12:28 PM
Biggest revelations for me were clay and a quality DA.

Both of these are generally never something a hobbyist would buy on his own. It is similar to that killer diner or restaurant that you would never walk into without being referred by someone you trust.

oneheadlite
03-06-2018, 12:35 PM
I’ve learned so much about the proper process. All I knew starting off way back was what I read on the bottles on the shelf at the car parts store.

As far as I knew, it went:
Wash. Clay bar. Go over the whole car with “Step 1” - don’t recall the name of the maroon bottle Meguiars product (later, it would be Griot’s Machine Polish 2) - regardless of paint condition/defect level. Whole car again with the next step (Maybe it was swirl remover? Later: Machine Polish 3). Then either cleaner wax or high tech yellow.

I’m going to be asked to leave, but each correction step was only with 1 pad each. :wow:

Hadn’t ever heard of/thought to do a test spot. Never knew about chemical decontamination. Never knew about the wide variety of different towels or pads.

I’ve learned that brand loyalty helps quite a bit to preserve my wallet (so many options!). I’ve also learned to take a break from buying as I don’t have nearly enough free time to use the stuff I’ve already bought!

LEDetailing
03-06-2018, 12:55 PM
I’ve learned so much about the proper process. All I knew starting off way back was what I read on the bottles on the shelf at the car parts store.

As far as I knew, it went:
Wash. Clay bar. Go over the whole car with “Step 1” - don’t recall the name of the maroon bottle Meguiars product (later, it would be Griot’s Machine Polish 2) - regardless of paint condition/defect level. Whole car again with the next step (Maybe it was swirl remover? Later: Machine Polish 3). Then either cleaner wax or high tech yellow.

I’m going to be asked to leave, but each correction step was only with 1 pad each. :wow:

Hadn’t ever heard of/thought to do a test spot. Never knew about chemical decontamination. Never knew about the wide variety of different towels or pads.

I’ve learned that brand loyalty helps quite a bit to preserve my wallet (so many options!). I’ve also learned to take a break from buying as I don’t have nearly enough free time to use the stuff I’ve already bought!

-Guilty of not changing pads.
-Test spot, no idea prior to AG
- agree with not going crazy always buying new stuff. But man the new polishers that keep coming out make want to add about three new machines to my collection:)

Hammer77
03-06-2018, 12:56 PM
Oneheadlite- your post got me thinking, was the maroon step system Meguiars something like Deep Crystal, I may be way off.

hmardown
03-06-2018, 01:00 PM
the definition of Detailing. now I know what it means, what it looks like & how it should be done. but I'm not sure I can do it good enough to make a living at it(my age has a little to do with that). but I'm certainly good enough to satisfy myself with my own vehicles. it's nice that the pro's on this site share the how to's & not to's with us. ok that's enough a$$ kissing. thanks AGO.
hmardown

Aaryn NZ
03-06-2018, 01:01 PM
Great theead for sure. :props:

Well, likewise with the thinking that I knew alot. Being from a small country tucked away down in the South Pasific there wasn't much exposure for anything detailing related. After I discovered Autogeek back in 2010/11 & around the same time my Wife & I were starting out in our own detailing business things started to change . . . ten fold.

I was doing pretty good work before but the more I read on AGO & the more products I learned about, techniques, tools & tips & tricks from the forum members, the better I got. I joined the forum in May of 2012 & have never looked back. :xyxthumbs:

We saved & saved & got enough money together to be able to fly the family 8000+ miles to Florida so I could get to Autogeek & attend Mikes Boot Camp Detailing Class. I learned some very valuable lessons in Mikes class, made some great friends & took alot of information home with us.

By putting into place some of the things I took away from Mikes class, our business & our reputation grew steadily & continues to do so. I am an Authorised Installer of two of the best coating manufacturers in the industry, & for a small business in a small town in a small country, we are extremely proud to be held in such high regard.

I think I would struggle to list everything I have learned from being on Autogeek Online but I can tell you the most important thing - It's the ability to constantly continue to learn here in the Forum. As Mike mentioned, the technology in our industry is changing so fast, there's always new things to learn.

Great thread, great people, great forum! :xyxthumbs:

Aaryn NZ. :dblthumb2:

LEDetailing
03-06-2018, 01:03 PM
I basically had no idea about anything before joining...if you'd seen my vehicles, you would've guessed that for sure. It would be a very long list if I tried to recount everything I've learned. One thing's for sure, I've learned not to be afraid to ask questions.

This forum is awesome for asking questions. We all have probably asked some real obvious/newb questions, but almost always multiple members respond with great answers.

oneheadlite
03-06-2018, 01:20 PM
Oneheadlite- your post got me thinking, was the maroon step system Meguiars something like Deep Crystal, I may be way off.

It's killing me that I can't remember. Did they have something before the Deep Crystal system? I don't remember my bottles looking like that (Googled). The names look about right though - Paint Cleaner (Step 1) and Polish (Step 2). I gave what was left away years ago now.

JeffW
03-06-2018, 01:43 PM
Excellent thread!

The answer is, literally, everything I know about detailing. It's not a ton, but enough to keep my cars standing out where ever I go. Bought a new car in 2005, somehow managed to get hooked into DetailCity.com, and started getting the bug. I'm one of the very early members of AGO, having joined March 3, 2006.

Dang, 12 years. Been through lots of products, seen some come and go. I guess what I have learned from all these years is that I like best Wolfgang DGPS, 4* UPP, Menzerna polishes, and Max Wax (now McKeys), and another thing is that I'm pretty settled into these 'traditional products' and have very little interest in going to newer technologies (ie, coatings). Well, maybe just not as quickly as I use to.

oneheadlite
03-06-2018, 02:34 PM
This forum is awesome for asking questions. We all have probably asked some real obvious/newb questions, but almost always multiple members respond with great answers.

That's the other thing I've learned - there's still a corner of the internet where people help each other and treat everyone with respect. I went away from forums for a long time because so many read like the comments section of a YouTube video.

The members here are not only really helpful answering questions, but I've seen so much generosity where guys will just give stuff away if they're not going to use it or think someone else has to try it. :xyxthumbs:

Paul A.
03-06-2018, 02:49 PM
To answer your original question, LED, too much to answer quickly. I like Mike P's response because i totally agree with keeping an open mind to all the new stuff coming out. I like to remain progressive with this stuff and AGO is my home for latest/greatest.

If I had to pick one thing I've learned from AGO that kinda stands out for me it's the necessary steps to fully decontaminate paint. When i think back on my former "wash with dish soap and layer on some wax days" I shake my head. A close second is how I have refined my skills in cutting and polishing paint for maximum results. Having found what works for me with regard to machine, pads, products etc. has evolved from knowledgeable discussion here.

All (or at least MOST) gains i have made have been from right here.