PDA

View Full Version : Some panels won't get a perfect reflection

jordy17
03-05-2018, 02:26 PM
Hi, I'm polishing my car and most panels i get a perfect mirror reflection but my front fenders and bumper just won't get that, it's quite noticeable next to the door panel which is perfect. I use the same technique as the others so are these parts just bad paint?

LEDetailing
03-05-2018, 02:32 PM
It could be that your fender and bumper has more contour to it as compared to your door panels. More contouring usually means your DA polisher will be stalling more frequently. It could be a bad repaint on the bumper/fenders.

Are you using a DA?

Do you have a mark on your DA backing pad to show that it is rotating and not stalling?

jordy17
03-05-2018, 02:54 PM
It could be that your fender and bumper has more contour to it as compared to your door panels. More contouring usually means your DA polisher will be stalling more frequently. It could be a bad repaint on the bumper/fenders.

Are you using a DA?

Do you have a mark on your DA backing pad to show that it is rotating and not stalling?

I'm doing it by hand with a foam hand applicator specifically made for finishing, it works flawlessly and made it much better everywhere except there. Even on flatter parts of the fender it's like that so i think that the paint is just bad, i always suspected that they where repainted before because there are some runs on the edges now i'm almost completely sure

futurepro17
03-05-2018, 03:02 PM
One of the reasons I'm going to a Flex polisher. It's not the end all be all, but another tool added to my warchest.

Eldorado2k
03-05-2018, 03:23 PM
I'm doing it by hand with a foam hand applicator specifically made for finishing, it works flawlessly and made it much better everywhere except there. Even on flatter parts of the fender it's like that so i think that the paint is just bad

What kind of car is it? Has it been repainted? Is it possible the fenders & bumper are made of a different material than the rest of the vehicle? If that’s the case they could’ve used a different kind of paint on those parts which won’t shine quite like the other panels. This is common on bumpers and sometimes even the hood will be different from the rest of the vehicle.