PDA

View Full Version : Swirls - help...

Bahnzii
07-09-2006, 06:50 PM
I am new to the PC and appeared to do fine on my other 2 cars, but they have metallic paints and now with flat black I am adding swirls instead of removing them :eek:

As you can see from the 2 pics, the side on the right is what it looked like before I started, the left-side is after SSr2.5 with a white pad (Lake Cntry) followed by SSr1 with a white pad...

I am working on it in a garage with flourescents but when I pull I out into the sun I can see the swirls.

I used all the tips in this forum, spread it on slow, turn it up to 4.5-5 and work it in until I see light dusting. I was moving fairly briskly at first and then read that I need to slow down. So I tried it again slower, but no help.

Do I need to go to the Orange pad now to get out the swirls I added and if so, what is the best way??

Any help, tips, etc... would be appreciated

Reddwarf
07-09-2006, 07:20 PM
I'm in a similar mode. I tried it on my dark green car and was not able to get out the swirls. I think you may need to try the orange pad. But others with expertise on this board are sure to chime in with some help.

BILL
07-09-2006, 07:50 PM
orange pad........

Reddwarf
07-09-2006, 08:01 PM
orange pad........

Wow, I was right! I have learned something from this board!

blkyukon
07-09-2006, 08:14 PM
I am new to the PC and appeared to do fine on my other 2 cars, but they have metallic paints and now with flat black I am adding swirls instead of removing them :eek:

As you can see from the 2 pics, the side on the right is what it looked like before I started, the left-side is after SSr2.5 with a white pad (Lake Cntry) followed by SSr1 with a white pad...

I am working on it in a garage with flourescents but when I pull I out into the sun I can see the swirls.

I used all the tips in this forum, spread it on slow, turn it up to 4.5-5 and work it in until I see light dusting. I was moving fairly briskly at first and then read that I need to slow down. So I tried it again slower, but no help.

Do I need to go to the Orange pad now to get out the swirls I added and if so, what is the best way??

Any help, tips, etc... would be appreciated

That is typical micromarring/hazing from not working the polish completely. You've never seen it before because, unless it's very pronounced you can't see it on light or Metallic colors.

I've said may times before you've never detail completely until you've detailed black.

It can be removed but Black paint takes time, patience and learning exactly how to work the polish to completion.

To remove this micromarring try:
- Use good lighting like a halogen to check your progress - normal fluorescent lights will not show micromarring

- Using a polishing pad & work the finishing polish at speed 4.5 - 5

- slow movements until the polish is brokendown...for the last couple of passes try speed 4 and add pressure on the forward pass and only weight of the machine on the reverse pass.

- Check an area before removing the residue and see if the micromarring is gone...if not repeat the pressure/no pressure passes and vary the speed of movement until the desired finish is achieve:

here is a macro before and after shot of micromarring using Menzerna FP and the above method:

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/images/hazing_before.jpg

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/images/hazing_after.jpg

Excessive Detail
07-09-2006, 09:14 PM
I've been working on my friends black truck for a while, its got a blown motor so its been sitting in his shop so I work on it every now and then, but black is very difficult to work with, just keep working at it, it may take more than one application to get it were you want it, I used ssr2.5 and a cutting pad and followed with ssr1 and a polish pad, its looks pretty good, I'm going to give it a third application of the combo. Just don't give up keep trying and asking questions, thats how I got to were I'm at now.

Excessive Detail
07-09-2006, 09:19 PM
That is typical micromarring/hazing from not working the polish completely. You've never seen it before because, unless it's very pronounced you can't see it on light or Metallic colors.

I've said may times before you've never detail completely until you've detailed black.

It can be removed but Black paint takes time, patience and learning exactly how to work the polish to completion.

To remove this micromarring try:
- Use good lighting like a halogen to check your progress - normal fluorescent lights will not show micromarring

- Using a polishing pad & work the finishing polish at speed 4.5 - 5

- slow movements until the polish is brokendown...for the last couple of passes try speed 4 and add pressure on the forward pass and only weight of the machine on the reverse pass.

- Check an area before removing the residue and see if the micromarring is gone...if not repeat the pressure/no pressure passes and vary the speed of movement until the desired finish is achieve:

here is a macro before and after shot of micromarring using Menzerna FP and the above method:

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/images/hazing_before.jpg

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/images/hazing_after.jpg
Have you ever used menzerna power gloss before, I started to do my car with it today, they say it is supposed to finish like a finishing polish and still remove swirls, but it didn't work for me, I stopped and redid the car with IP and FPII.

Bahnzii
07-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Blkyukon, thanks for the advice and the pics.

I actually had watched your videos and looked at your pics before I started using the PC, but as I feared the metallic paints were hiding the micromarring I induced.

I am going to use the white (lake cntry) pad with the SSR2.5

I have a few more questions, if I may:

How long do I work the polishes? Your video is edited (for time I assume) and most peopl esay it should be 4+ min's per section (2x2). I tried it for that length of time in one section but it seemed that the polish was completely broken down before then. Am I using too much pressure?

If I use the polish correctly (as you highlighted) should I expect to not see any micromarring when I wipe it clean and before I use SSR1??

Is it reasonable to assume (with practice and patience) that I can get a swirlfree finish before I lay down some sealants and wax?

What does the polish feel like when it is dry? When you wipe your finger across it should it wipe clear or leave a little streaking or??

Bahnzii
07-10-2006, 02:00 AM
Well I went back out and took a section and gave it another go...
What a difference!! :D

I used only ssr2.5 and a white pad, but this time I kept working it in with more pressure and I went a lot longer, about 4min's.

Since I did a section right in the middle of where I had the hazing/micro-marring the difference is night and day. I will try to get a picture so others can see what I just learned.

To any others giving the PC a try for the first time, listen to the forum family on here - - work the polish longer. It looked like it reached FP to me in my first attempts, but apparently it hadn't!!

Moises_C
07-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Well I went back out and took a section and gave it another go...
What a difference!! :D

I used only ssr2.5 and a white pad, but this time I kept working it in with more pressure and I went a lot longer, about 4min's.

Since I did a section right in the middle of where I had the hazing/micro-marring the difference is night and day. I will try to get a picture so others can see what I just learned.

To any others giving the PC a try for the first time, listen to the forum family on here - - work the polish longer. It looked like it reached FP to me in my first attempts, but apparently it hadn't!!

Yes, i know what you´re talking about, and believe it or not i used a walmart buffer :( with the orange pad and my black car was worst than those pictures you have. I read the forum, bought the PC, and there you are, heaven.....

ScottB
07-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Yes, i know what you´re talking about, and believe it or not i used a walmart buffer :( with the orange pad and my black car was worst than those pictures you have. I read the forum, bought the PC, and there you are, heaven.....

Oh heavens , this cannot be good !!