PDA

View Full Version : Need 3" backing plate and pads and an AIO

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

JMak97008
03-03-2018, 02:16 AM
I have a Brilliant Black 06 300c SRT8. The paint is in really good shape except for the various rock chips, i.e., no deep scratches, no marring, no swirls. Well, it does have water spots on the roof that I haven't been able to get off with Megs UC, though, admittedly, I didn't really work it long enough, I think.

But, given that the paint is in good shape, I think I'd like to try an AIO. Since there are water spots, should I hit the roof with UC and work it a little longer or is there an AIO I could use and maybe get some correction?

I'll be using a GG 6" and I have a Chemical Guys TorqX that I'd like to mount a 3" back to. Any recommendations on a 3" backing and pads for the job?

Thanks in advance.

dlc95
03-03-2018, 12:56 PM
I like both the Meguiar's and Lake Country plates.

For AIO products, I really like Duragloss 101, and 501 if more cleaning is needed.

derass
03-03-2018, 06:00 PM
I have a 3" backing plate and flat pads from Lake Country that I use on my PC7424XP. The 3" flat pads are about 1.25" tall, so it helps keep the large buffer away from the intricate areas where you need a small pad.

Eldorado2k
03-03-2018, 06:15 PM
I like both the Meguiar's and Lake Country plates.

IIRC the 3” Meguiars plate was so troublesome that they quit making it.

@OP. I’d recommend the 3” Griots Boss Backing Plate. I upgraded to this from the normL Lake Country 3” backing plate and it’s alot better.

dlc95
03-03-2018, 06:26 PM
IIRC the 3” Meguiars plate was so troublesome that they quit making it.

@OP. I’d recommend the 3” Griots Boss Backing Plate. I upgraded to this from the normL Lake Country 3” backing plate and it’s alot better.

I did not know that!

I rarely ever use them. If I need small, I'll usually grab the Mini.

The LC is really solid.

boomdone
03-03-2018, 06:57 PM
Love the GG 3" HD plate and Boss pads with my GG 6. Not big on AIOs but do really like Essence.

VISITOR
03-03-2018, 10:49 PM
Griot's Garage 3 inch HD Backing Plate (https://www.autogeek.net/griots-3-inch-hd-backing-plate.html)
https://sep.yimg.com/ay/autogeek/griots-garage-3-inch-hd-backing-plate-coming-soon-15.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr7q8yLU-6o

JMak97008
03-09-2018, 02:17 AM
Thanks, all....I'm thinking the following to use on the CG TorqX machine??

Griots Garage 3 inch BOSS Foam and Microfiber Pads - 6 Pack
Pad 1 : Microfiber
Pad 2 : White Correcting
Pad 3 : Orange Correcting
Pad 4 : Orange Correcting
Pad 5 : Yellow Perfecting
Pad 6 : Black Finishing

Griots Garage 3 inch HD Backing Plate

Together, the plate and pad kit = $46.

Thoughts? I was thinking 2 of the orange correcting because I assume I'll be using that pad the most. But I'd appreciate any advice.

Oh, and Megs D166 to go with this?

JMak97008
03-09-2018, 02:20 AM
Then I just saw this...for $49. 2 less pads, but 3 towels. I think I have enough towels, though.

Griots Garage 3 inch HD Backing Plate
Griots Garage 3.5 inch Micro Fiber FAST Cutting Pad
Griots Garage BOSS 3 inch Microfiber Pad
Griots Garage BOSS 3 inch White Correcting Pad
Griots Garage BOSS 3 inch Orange Correcting Pad
Griots Garage BOSS 3 inch Black Finishing Pad
3 Pack Sky Blue Edgeless Polishing Cloths, 16 x 16 inches

MarkD51
03-09-2018, 08:22 AM
To address the rock chips, the Dr Colorchip system is a real easy and fast one to work with.

For an AIO, and although I have not personally used this product, Mike Phillips has showcased the Blackfire AIO and it looks like a really nice product.

I'm seriously considering getting this Blackfire AIO for myself at some point this coming spring to have on hand for cutting time and work off of paint corrections.

I'd suspect the Wolfgang Uber AIO to also be a very fine candidate to choose.

JMak97008
03-09-2018, 03:16 PM
Thanks, Mark. I think the Blackfire may be too $ for me, though. What do you think of the pad selection and backing plate I noted above?

JMak97008
03-09-2018, 03:28 PM
I'm hoping for some feedback to take advantage of the current sale and shipping, thanks in advance.

MarkD51
03-09-2018, 04:21 PM
Thanks, Mark. I think the Blackfire may be too $ for me, though. What do you think of the pad selection and backing plate I noted above?

Yeah, the Blackfire AIO is $40 Skins, but it is a quart. That is a lot of product, probably only take you a few ounces to do the entire car.

The Wolfgang Uber AIO is $30 but is only a pint. Again, more than plenty to do your car 3-4 times.

The Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover (TSR) is $27.00 but is only 8oz. But it is a superb product, I always keep this one in my arsenal.

Or, here's another superb ultra fine Finishing Polish, Meguiars #205, and commonly sells for about $23/quart. It can be bought here, and even many big box auto parts stores, and some Walmarts sell it.

Only things with the last 2 products I mention, WG TSR, and Meg's #205, neither contain any waxes-sealants, they are strictly pure Polishes, and you then choose a protection product of choice, which you may already have on hand?

As for Backing Plates and Pads, most usually pair either the Porter Cable 7424XP, or the Griots GG6 with a Lake Country 5" Yellow Urethane Backing Plate. And the 3" Black Griots Backing Plate somebody else posted would as well convert your GG6 to 3" Pad use for the tighter-smaller areas.

As for Pad choice with the above mentioned Backing Plates, my personal #1 choice would be the Lake Country Thin Pro Pads in white color mostly, in both 5.5" and 3" sizes. Maybe have 1 or 2 more aggressive Orange Pads of the same brand-type on hand for deeper sleeks-scratches if you should so find them.

I have those Thin Pro Pads on hand in the sizes I mention, they are very nice, very high quality, you won't go wrong with them!

As for previous suggestions of Duragloss 105, or 501, these are really nice sealants indeed (I have them both, and 111 as well), and relative steals for what they cost. 501 has a great deal of "cleaning" power, taking out dirts, but lacks in correction abilities as both are extremely low to nothing in the finishing abrasive department needed to remove fine swirls level-smooth paint and to bring out the very highest gloss your paint can attain.

Again, Meg's #205 is an exceptional product, a knock your eyes out fine finishing Polish that's very easy to work with, and can be used either by hand, DA, or Rotary Machine.

Eldorado2k
03-09-2018, 04:44 PM
Get this. It’s all you need.

Meguiar?s D166 Ultra Polishing Wax (https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-d166-polishing-wax.html)

MarkD51
03-09-2018, 05:36 PM
One error I made with my last post. Lake Country does not make a 3" ThinPro Pad. They are 3.5" in diameter.
But they will work just fine with a 3" (actually 2-7/8") LC Backing Plate or the black Griots 3" Plate.