PDA

View Full Version : Buffing Carnauba Wax?

Chach
03-01-2018, 11:54 AM
I'm new to the forum and detailing and have clay barred my vehicles and have used Wolfgang sealant on them. I'd like to add a carnauba wax and have some ordered from Autogeek. My question is can the carnauba shine be improved by buffing with a polishing bonnet after I've removed the wax residue with a microfiber towel? I'm using a Dewalt variable speed polisher.

Thanks for any advice!!

fightnews
03-01-2018, 12:00 PM
Idk I don't think it's worth it

FUNX650
03-01-2018, 12:37 PM
My question is can the carnauba shine
be improved by buffing with a polishing
bonnet after I've removed the wax residue
with a microfiber towel?

I'm using a Dewalt variable speed polisher.

IMO:
You can always do a “Test Spot”
in order to find out, firsthand,
what the results will be.

Bob

rlmccarty2000
03-01-2018, 02:50 PM
You can always try spit shining.

mwoolfso
03-01-2018, 03:10 PM
I'm new to the forum and detailing and have clay barred my vehicles and have used Wolfgang sealant on them. I'd like to add a carnauba wax and have some ordered from Autogeek. My question is can the carnauba shine be improved by buffing with a polishing bonnet after I've removed the wax residue with a microfiber towel? I'm using a Dewalt variable speed polisher.

Thanks for any advice!!

For all "practical" purposes.... no.... there are better steps to take prior to applying an LSP to get the shine you would look for from a carnauba.

Kamakaz1961
03-01-2018, 03:19 PM
1st off Welcome to AGO! Now let me give you my .02 cents worth. I have done coatings, sealants and waxes. My car is a garage queen so I use WAX. I will on occasion, apply a sealant and top off with a wax. Based on what you are doing, IMO the best way to remove the wax is with a quality MF Towel BY HAND with a quality MF towel. If you want to apply wax by machine GO FOR IT. But there is nothing better to remove a wax than by your hands. You can "feel" the wax being removed and you can see the results ASAP.

I love Carnauba Wax and I am addicted to them...I admit that. But if I were you; use a good quality MF Towel and remove the wax that way. I use 2 MF Towels. I use both of them with my right and left hand and I follow up with a 2nd wipe with the left or right hand and my fingers are not touching the paint. When you finish your ride show pics please!

itsgn
03-01-2018, 05:58 PM
No. Once you've buffed off the wax, the only thing you can possibly do to it by polishing or buffing it even further, is removing it completely from the paint surface. Which you obviously don't want to.

A wax works by filling the tiniest little scratches in the paint, and through this making the latter perfectly smooth, or at least smoother, than it would be otherwise. By - so to say - buffing the wax off after application, you're merely removing the excess wax, that's not need to fill the tiny crevices, and would just lay on the top of the already level paint. So, by applying the wax and the buffing it off, you're essentially just making the surface perfectly even. But obviously once you've done that, you can achieve no improvement with even more buffing - because the surface just won't be more level (at least not through the buffing of the wax), than it is already.

In order to enhance the appearance of your car beyond what you could achieve through waxing, you would have to do a paint correction on it (ie. remove the visible scratches by using a compound and machine polisher), polish it, and possibly coat it (with a ceramic coating). Of course that's just for the paint, because other parts of the car, like windows, plastic parts, rubber seals, etc. can be improved by other means. They also should be, because even with perfect paint, but untreated plastics, rubbers, and windows, your car just won't look "right", or at least not as clean and shiny as it could.

Chach
03-03-2018, 06:10 PM
1st off Welcome to AGO! Now let me give you my .02 cents worth. I have done coatings, sealants and waxes. My car is a garage queen so I use WAX. I will on occasion, apply a sealant and top off with a wax. Based on what you are doing, IMO the best way to remove the wax is with a quality MF Towel BY HAND with a quality MF towel. If you want to apply wax by machine GO FOR IT. But there is nothing better to remove a wax than by your hands. You can "feel" the wax being removed and you can see the results ASAP.

I love Carnauba Wax and I am addicted to them...I admit that. But if I were you; use a good quality MF Towel and remove the wax that way. I use 2 MF Towels. I use both of them with my right and left hand and I follow up with a 2nd wipe with the left or right hand and my fingers are not touching the paint. When you finish your ride show pics please!

Thanks for the welcome and response! I noticed your "Save the Manuals" and have had more manuals than automatics over my 53 years of driving, however most cars that I'm interested in at my age are only offered with automatics. I bought my daughter some "Save the Manuals" glasses and coffee mugs from Car and Driver a couple of years ago. She's now driving an A4 manual and has had several VW's, a SHO, CTS and Lincoln LS all with manuals.