PDA

View Full Version : Tried the Big Red Sponge today...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

gti14
02-28-2018, 08:09 PM
And I知 not sold on it, not even close.

I have been doing onr washes with trc eagles for a few months now and have no problems with scratches and or cleaning ability. But today was different. Now maybe it was my technique, I知 not sure, but the big red sponge just failed miserably in its ability to actually clean the dirt off the car. My drying towel was filthy and I知 pretty sure I scratched the hell out of my hood.

My car (pearl black gti) has been through a bunch of rainy days recently and had a nice film of road juice all over it. Was it just too much for the onr? I知 not sure. I ended up doing a foam and bucket wash and the car looks great. Long story short, I think I wasted my money on this sponge.

Has anyone else had similar/different experiences with the brs?

Klasse Act
02-28-2018, 08:14 PM
Sounds like Scott from Dallas Auto Detailing and Paint Correction. I say this because he just did 2 videos in a row about this product[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gti14
02-28-2018, 08:24 PM
Did he? Haha I haven稚 watched his videos in a while. I picked up the brs during the sale thinking it would be a good time to try it out.

Sent from my iPad using AGOnline

ducksfan
02-28-2018, 08:25 PM
I haven't had luck with sponges on horizontal surfaces. I like them on the verticals.

Klasse Act
02-28-2018, 08:27 PM
Get the Aqua sponge and call it a day!

gti14
02-28-2018, 08:31 PM
Get the Aqua sponge and call it a day!

Is that the lake country one?

Klasse Act
02-28-2018, 08:35 PM
Is that the lake country one?Nah, go to EBay and search it out. Been using it for years and years, great sponge but it's pricey for some because it's a bit more than your store bought grout sponge.

The Guz
02-28-2018, 08:43 PM
And I’m not sold on it, not even close.

I have been doing onr washes with trc eagles for a few months now and have no problems with scratches and or cleaning ability. But today was different. Now maybe it was my technique, I’m not sure, but the big red sponge just failed miserably in its ability to actually clean the dirt off the car. My drying towel was filthy and I’m pretty sure I scratched the hell out of my hood.

My car (pearl black gti) has been through a bunch of rainy days recently and had a nice film of road juice all over it. Was it just too much for the onr? I’m not sure. I ended up doing a foam and bucket wash and the car looks great. Long story short, I think I wasted my money on this sponge.

Has anyone else had similar/different experiences with the brs?

Did you soak the sponge overnight in a bucket of ONR to soften it?

Depending on how dirty the surface is, the sponge is not going to pick up every speck of dirt. It may require another light pass.

The other thing to do is pre-soak the panel first to let the ONR encapsulate the dirt.

Finally get yourself two towels. One will pick up the remaining dirt and the other to dry the surface.

It takes practice to hone the technique with the sponge. I've been using this combination for quite sometime now and have never scratched the painted surface.

gti14
02-28-2018, 08:48 PM
Did you soak the sponge overnight in a bucket of ONR to soften it?

Depending on how dirty the surface is, the sponge is not going to pick up every speck of dirt. It may require another light pass.

The other thing to do is pre-soak the panel first to let the ONR encapsulate the dirt.

Finally get yourself two towels. One will pick up the remaining dirt and the other to dry the surface.

It takes practice to hone the technique with the sponge. I've been using this combination for quite sometime now and have never scratched the painted surface.

Yes I had soaked it for 3 days actually and I had presprayed the panel with onr.

I知 going to give it another chance for sure, just need to figure it out. What is your preferred drying towel? I have a combo of griots pfm and trc waffle weaves.

Rrthomas78
02-28-2018, 09:12 PM
Sounds like Scott from Dallas Auto Detailing and Paint Correction. I say this because he just did 2 videos in a row about this product[emoji23]

I used to like his videos but this little stretch has thrown me off a little. Why can't it be some people like a product and some don't, leave it at that why does someone always have to be right and furthermore if your gonna sh*t on onr use the brs and how that works for you instead of something from Dollar tree....seems to me optimum has not been sending him freebies..imho

The Guz
02-28-2018, 09:16 PM
Yes I had soaked it for 3 days actually and I had presprayed the panel with onr.

I’m going to give it another chance for sure, just need to figure it out. What is your preferred drying towel? I have a combo of griots pfm and trc waffle weaves.

I use the pluffles for my first towel and a pfm or equivalent for my follow up towel with a drying aid.

Bruno Soares
02-28-2018, 09:21 PM
Did you watch a couple of videos on YT with Yvan showing how to use the BRS? I followed his instructions and it works great for me.

Calendyr
02-28-2018, 09:22 PM

I was about to say the exact same thing ;)

I have never been sold on the big red sponge either. I don't want to use sponges on cars. I use the Garry Dean method : (Pre-treat the pannel with a spray of detailer strenght ONR, use about 6 microfiber towels in the solution bucket and discard each towel after it gets dirty on all 4 sides). I think this method is pretty safe, never noticed major dirt in my drying towel.

Calendyr
02-28-2018, 09:27 PM
I used to like his videos but this little stretch has thrown me off a little. Why can't it be some people like a product and some don't, leave it at that why does someone always have to be right and furthermore if your gonna sh*t on onr use the brs and how that works for you instead of something from Dollar tree....seems to me optimum has not been sending him freebies..imho

Well, some times I don't agree with him but most of the time I do. And he is pretty specific about why he likes or dislikes something. So if his reasons are not aligned with how you feel about the product or technique, you can decide for yourself if you want to use the product or technique or not. But you have all the information, so either way you learn something.

The only thing I don't like about Scott is that no matter what you ask him in the comments, he takes it as a personnal attack. So I no longer ask anything. I take what he says and if he doesn't convince me, I do my own thing, If his arguments are solid, I try to incorporate the knowledge he shared.

Klasse Act
02-28-2018, 09:30 PM
I will NEVER wash my car with Power Clean, period!