PDA

View Full Version : Tire Coating

Pages : [1] 2

Mariana
02-28-2018, 01:15 PM
I’m going to buy new tires for my truck and I wanted to apply coating before mounting them on the rims. Will the coating be damaged when the tires are being mounted? Has anybody done this?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

The Guz
02-28-2018, 02:25 PM
What tire coating will you go with?

The thing you want to do is give it a good cleaning with something like Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner or McKee's 37 Tire Rejuvenator to get the mold wax release from the new tires. If not this could affect the bonding of the tire coating to the rubber.

I would recommend not putting anything on the tires for 4-6 weeks and just clean them weekly with not putting any tire dressing on them to make sure all the mold wax is gone. I learned the hard way the first time I applied McKee's tire coating to brand new tires even after they were cleaned. Thanks to Nick of McKee's for helping me solve the issue and telling me what I just wrote. Hope this helps.

Mariana
02-28-2018, 02:28 PM

The thing you want to do is give it a good cleaning with something like Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner or McKee's 37 Tire Rejuvenator to get the mold wax release from the new tires. If not this could affect the bonding of the tire coating to the rubber.

I would recommend not putting anything on the tires for 4-6 weeks and just clean them weekly with not putting any tire dressing on them to make sure all the mold wax is gone. I learned the hard way the first time I applied McKee's tire coating to brand new tires even after they were cleaned. Thanks to Nick of McKee's for helping me solve the issue and telling me what I just wrote. Hope this helps.

It sure does. Thank you so much [emoji4]!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Desertnate
02-28-2018, 02:36 PM

Great advice. I was going to say at least wait until the tires are mounted on the wheels due to the potential of scuffing in the mounting process, but Guz makes a good point.

When my current set of winter tires were mounted on the wheels there was not only quite a bit of mold release on the sidewalls, but the tireshop also used huge ammounts of some greasy lube during the mounting process. That stuff was everywhere and very hard to clean. I made only moderate attempts to get all that stuff off and it stil took a couple months before tire dressings would actually apply properly and last any reasonable time.

The Guz
02-28-2018, 04:44 PM
When my current set of winter tires were mounted on the wheels there was not only quite a bit of mold release on the sidewalls, but the tireshop also used huge ammounts of some greasy lube during the mounting process. That stuff was everywhere and very hard to clean. I made only moderate attempts to get all that stuff off and it stil took a couple months before tire dressings would actually apply properly and last any reasonable time.

This is another good point.

Mariana have the tire shop not put anything on the tires. It will make your life easier.

Mariana
02-28-2018, 04:53 PM
I’ll do that. Thank you so much!!!

evo77
03-01-2018, 10:20 AM
Great point on the mounting grease!

This past weekend I had new Continental tires mounted on my car. And I was trying to remember the preferred method about waiting to add a tire coating. Its still cold here so I haven't bothered cleaning the tires yet but there sure is a bunch of that mounting grease around the rim edge. I probably should get it off now because its most likely penetrating the pores of that rubber which may cause coating adherence difficult later even with a few tire cleaning cycles.

DBAILEY
03-01-2018, 12:38 PM
If you can't wait a few weeks for the mold release product to come off then wipe your tires down with MF wet with Stoner's Tarminator. Clean your tire with your tire cleaner first and again after using the Tarminator. It works. Your tire coating will really stick then.

Mike Phillips
03-01-2018, 01:16 PM
I'll chime in....

First - I only coat tires if they are new and naked. That means nothing has ever been applied to them, i.e. a tire dressing.

Second - My preferred method of prepping a tire for a coating is to machine scrub but hand scrubbing will do. Scrub until the foam coming off from your tire cleaner is white, as in artic white.

Third - I like to use a 2" paint brush, (one for stains, not paints), to apply the dressing.

Fourth - After an application - BLAST the tire starting from the lip of the rim and blowing outwards using a Metro-Vac Sidekick. Speed dry each coating and apply 4 to 5 applications at one time.

After that - enjoy the high shine, non-greasy touch to your tires. Only wash with car wash soap or some other safe alternative like a spray detailer or waterless wash or rinseless wash.

I like tire coatings but only when you know the tire has not been polluted with a tire dressing.

:)

JustJesus
03-01-2018, 01:25 PM
I'll chime in....

First - I only coat tires if they are new and naked. That means nothing has ever been applied to them, i.e. a tire dressing.

I like tire coatings but only when you know the tire has not been polluted with a tire dressing.

Mike, Is this just personal preference, or have you found that coatings will not bond well with tires if there was tire dressing applied on previous occasions?

What if one really, really cleans the tires off well, and removes all tire dressing?

Mariana
03-01-2018, 01:44 PM
I'll chime in....

Second - My preferred method of prepping a tire for a coating is to machine scrub but hand scrubbing will do. Scrub until the foam coming off from your tire cleaner is white, as in artic white.

Third - I like to use a 2" paint brush, (one for stains, not paints), to apply the dressing.

Fourth - After an application - BLAST the tire starting from the lip of the rim and blowing outwards using a Metro-Vac Sidekick. Speed dry each coating and apply 4 to 5 applications at one time.

After that - enjoy the high shine, non-greasy touch to your tires. Only wash with car wash soap or some other safe alternative like a spray detailer or waterless wash or rinseless wash.

:)

Thanks Mike. I wanted to get the new tires and before mounting them give a real good scrub and wash, let them dry, coat them, wait a few days and have them mounted, but I don’t know if the coating will hold through the mounting process. Also these wonderful gentlemen tell me that, because of the wax new tires have, the coating might not bond properly.... so I don’t know what to do 🤷🏻#♀️

Eldorado2k
03-01-2018, 02:45 PM
Mike, Is this just personal preference, or have you found that coatings will not bond well with tires if there was tire dressing applied on previous occasions?

What if one really, really cleans the tires off well, and removes all tire dressing?

I’m not Mike, but I can tell you from my personal experience having bought at least a dozen used tires for my Cadillac that I’ve never had a problem with a tire coat bonding properly. I actually look forward to cleaning a nasty used tire and making it look amazing once I get it put on my car.

I coated all 4 tires on my car this past weekend after not having had to apply anything to them fornthe past 6 months. That’s how long it lasted and I could’ve went longer.

Notice all 3 tires are different, because I bought them all used and they were about as brown and dirty as you can imagine when I bought them... I think they’re looking a little better now.[emoji6]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180301/8f2f913fac7b327abcf17d514de9f6b7.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180301/9348a18c1a5b2e1cbbb92a7056853d49.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180301/a70322a61cb8b689d1fd7e15efd2241f.jpg

2 days later... Still looking great, and I have no doubt they’ll look great for many months to come.[emoji4]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180301/fa424860d8b97a6d13d513d35cda0ab5.jpg

The Guz
03-01-2018, 04:48 PM

Thanks Mike. I wanted to get the new tires and before mounting them give a real good scrub and wash, let them dry, coat them, wait a few days and have them mounted, but I don’t know if the coating will hold through the mounting process. Also these wonderful gentlemen tell me that, because of the wax new tires have, the coating might not bond properly.... so I don’t know what to do ����#♀️

I will address both of these posts at the same time with regards to the coating not bonding to clean tires. I am linking my review from 2015 of the DP Tire Coating which became the McKee's 37 tire coating.

Review - DP Tire Coating (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/94342-review-dp-tire-coating-2.html#post1284784)

As seen in post #13, I had bonding issues with the coating when I had thought the tires were completely clean. I had a follow up in post #14 after speaking with Nick about the issue. The cause of the bonding issues was two things. One from previously using tire dressings that had absorbed into the tire over time. The other issue was that these tires were fairly new and it took time for the mold wax to completely stop and be cleaned away.

Once I did what Nick recommended then all was good. I also have a link to a write up I did to remove the tire coating from the tire. It is quite durable and a normal tire cleaner won't remove a fresh coat.

Coleroad
03-01-2018, 05:02 PM
Different brand tire coating, but had the same bonding issue with a new set of bfgoodrich tires. I've been using tire coatings for several years. That's the only set I had that issue with, and it never did resolve. I've cleaned tires up that had been dressed with darn silicone dressing. After through clean, no issues. Clean is definitely key. Now I still have no idea what the deal is with the bfgoodrich tires. I still have them and the coating still only lasts about a month. It's not the brand of coating either. The kind I use to buy hasn't been sold for like a couple years now. The brand I'm using now does the same thing.

JustJesus
03-01-2018, 05:12 PM
... I actually look forward to cleaning a nasty used tire and making it look amazing ..

Notice all 3 tires are different, because I bought them all used and they were about as brown and dirty as you can imagine when I bought them... I think they’re looking a little better now.[emoji6]

That first part is pretty funny. I hate cleaning tires, and my wife knows this!

I CAN imagine how brown and dirty those tires were, as I've bought used tires many times. Yes, they can be bad! And yes, they're looking better now.

Thanks for the post.

I will address both of these posts at the same time with regards to the coating not bonding to clean tires. I am linking my review from 2015 of the DP Tire Coating which became the McKee's 37 tire coating.
Once I did what Nick recommended then all was good. I also have a link to a write up I did to remove the tire coating from the tire. It is quite durable and a normal tire cleaner won't remove a fresh coat.

Thanks for the link. I remember seeing that back in the day. I'll go read it again :)

Sounds like I should be okay on my wife's Kia. She hasn't received any tire dressing in some time (i hate tires). My own personal cars don't get dressings, so that should be okay.

Thanks guys