PDA

View Full Version : CarPro DLux coated plastics - What happens after two years?

Pages : [1] 2

itsgn
02-26-2018, 11:31 PM
Hi Everyone!

I've been researching this question on detailing forums for quite a while, but didn't find any conclusive information on it. The question is: What happens to plastic surfaces coated with DLux after 2 years?

The 2 years is not meant to be actually an exact time range, just referring to the semi-permanent nature of DLux, and to CarPro's claims of it lasting up to two years. Now, what I want to know is, that once this time period (which obviously changes from car to car, application to application, but should last generally around 2 years, according to manufacturer's claims), what happens to the plastic surface?

Some people say, that DLux oxidizes in a non-uniform way, which means that after those 2 years, or towards the end of those 2 years, it will have "peeled off" only partially from the plastics, leaving back a surface full of stains and residue marks. What's even worse, that according to some people, you can't even fix this, because you obviously can't polish plastic surfaces to remove DLux residues completely, and because you won't be able to recoat the surface properly either, because the remnants of the previous application (from 2 years ago) will partially reject the new coat - making it practically impossible to make the trim look decent ever again.

If this is true, that means that if DLux was applied to a trim in a fairly good condition (or possibly to a new car), that trim will actually look worse after the 2 years, than it did before DLux was applied to it, or than it would have looked if DLux wouldn't have been applied to it.

Is this really true? Does anyone have experience with preferably multiple DLux applications, that he has followed over such a lengthy time period? How did things end up after a few years? Did the coated trim fade uniformly, or did it stain? Were you able to recoat it with DLux again? How good did that second application look and how long did it last?

Would you apply DLux to trims on a car that does not look *that* bad yet, or is even possibly brand new?

All comments are welcome, and thanks for your help.

Bruno Soares
02-27-2018, 06:36 AM
Because I’m also not sure what the results will be, I prefer to seal instead of coat trim. I use Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant.

Setec Astronomy
02-27-2018, 07:52 AM
I think this can happen with DLux and similar products, which is why you need to put it on really thin, like any coating. Otherwise you wind up with "high spots" that weather unevenly, or one big high spot that "silvers".

MarkD51
02-27-2018, 07:54 AM
My numerous experiences with CQuartz DLX have all been favorable. I have coated both like new and in good condition trim, brand new trim like a new rear bumper step pad, some really beat hard plastic trim like the windshield wiper cowl on my truck. And also most recently a set of brand new clear coated aluminum wheels which are about 7-8 months old at this point and are surviving a Midwest winter with ease.

In no instance have I ever had this product peel, go blotchy, or fail in any sort of irregular manner.

I have commonly used topper products over DLX, like Reload, and Ech2O with no ill effects.

I've only noticed now after a few years that these trim pieces that have been treated have "naturally" aged and perhaps don't have quite the "just applied glowing, knock your eyes out" look to them is all. Just as any other regular trim dressing or treatment would look as time passed.

With this being said, CP DLX is most definitely my #1 choice for a plastic trim protectant. IMO, don't let its seeming high initial cost scare you away, this product IMO is worth every penny.

MarkD51
02-27-2018, 08:26 AM
My very first experiences with a Trim Coating was with GTechniq C4. I had treated what I thought was a decent condition Rear Step Bumper Pad on my 1997 Tahoe (pictured)

I cleaned the part as good as possible with repeated applications and scrubbings with APC, Shampoo, Water Rinses, and thought I was good to go.

After initial application, the parts looked outstanding, and in fact I even did a photo shoot, and posted those pics here. After ample drying time of an entire afternoon with nice sunny and dry weather, my truck was recovered with a Covercraft NOAH Custom Fitted Cover.

About 2 weeks later, and wanting to do some other detailing processes on my truck it appeared that the C4 product had failed, the Rear Step Bumper Pad looked absolutely horrible and was turning white. And not just isolated blotchiness, it was the entire part.

There was no rectifying and salvaging the part, I had to order a brand new part and remove the entire Rear Step Bumper to install.

One of the USA GTehniq Reps saw my posts, contacted me privately, and offered to either replace the C4 product, or let me have my choice of any other GTehniq product.

I chose a small bottle of GTechniq EXO, and I gave that bottle to my autogeek friend here, DaveT435 as I knew he loves EXO.

When the new Step Pad was installed, I then switched to CQuartz DLX and immediately treated that part while it was still brand new. About a good 3 years have passed since, and I have had zero issues with DLX on that part, or any other parts such as door handles, side trim moldings, grill, headlights- tail lights, rear glass trim, rear corner trim, front Air Dam, side glass moldings, etc.

Is it probably due for a re-coat with DLX? Yes, sure, my entire truck is now due for full paint correction as there's some slight marring here and there from another Covercraft Cover I bought caused by high SW Winds (Weathershield HD) and as I previously mentioned, many trim parts on the vehicle could also use a fresh re-coat with DLX.

For my Truck's Paint, there will be only one choice, Carpro CQuartz UK again.

I regularly get very high compliment on my truck's overall condition, and as mentioned, this truck is a 1997 Model, took delivery of it in the fall of 1996. It's seen 6 Chicago Winters, 14 years of the Desert Southwest's blistering heat, and dust, and now again back in the Midwest since September.

This spring I'll try getting all done again, just need to order some fresh CQ UK, and DLX. Have everything else needed on hand.

FUNX650
02-27-2018, 08:28 AM
New product idea for CarPro:
A solvent capable of removing old DLUX
without damaging the plastic

^^^
:iagree:

Bob

Setec Astronomy
02-27-2018, 09:10 AM
My very first experiences with a Trim Coating was with GTechniq C4. I had treated what I thought was a decent condition Rear Step Bumper Pad on my 1997 Tahoe (pictured)

I also had bad experiences with C4 but/and later saw that explained by the mfr. as too heavy an application. Next time (and next car) I used DLux, applied really thin, and have had more of the "natural weathering" experience. So...I really can't say for sure whether it was the product or the technique, but as Rob from GTechniq said...if you think about C4 the same way you think about a coating on paint...and the terrible trouble you get into if you apply too heavy...you should apply those same thoughts to trim.

I also have to agree that using a product like WETS gets you away from all these worries.

itsgn
02-27-2018, 10:36 AM
When the new Step Pad was installed, I then switched to CQuartz DLX and immediately treated that part while it was still brand new. About a good 3 years have passed since, and I have had zero issues with DLX on that part
Couldn't be the reason for this, that with the old part you had really strongly bonded contaminants in the plastic part, which you couldn't remove even with your thorough cleaning process, but the brand new part didn't suffer from this? If that's the case, maybe DLux would give similarly bad results on an older part. Or did you try DLux also on other, older parts on the same car, with similar structure as your bumper, and they turned out to be okay, even after multiple years?

Is it probably due for a re-coat with DLX? Yes, sure
And by that, you mean that it has faded back to a state which it would have been presumably in if you wouldn't have coated it? Or does it show symptoms similar to what I described (ie. uneven oxidization and streaks)? It would be also nice if you'd let us know afterwards how the re-coat turned out.

itsgn
02-27-2018, 10:42 AM
With this being said, CP DLX is most definitely my #1 choice for a plastic trim protectant. IMO, don't let its seeming high initial cost scare you away, this product IMO is worth every penny.
The cost is not a factor for me. What I'm really worried about is ending up with plastic parts that look possibly even worse than if I'd have just not coated or dressed them at all, but now with no recourse, but replacing them, as supposedly a re-application cannot adequately resolve the situation.

itsgn
02-27-2018, 10:51 AM
Because I’m also not sure what the results will be, I prefer to seal instead of coat trim. I use Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant.
My problem with dressings is, that on exterior surfaces they seem to develop streaks rather quickly where the rain water is running down on the trim, which makes re-application necessary even more frequently, than otherwise.

Eldorado2k
02-27-2018, 11:18 AM
The cost is not a factor for me. What I'm really worried about is ending up with plastic parts that look possibly even worse than if I'd have just not coated or dressed them at all, but now with no recourse, but replacing them, as supposedly a re-application cannot adequately resolve the situation.

That’s exactly how I feel in regards to trying to protect brand new headlights. This Meguiars Headlight Coating says it “also protects New headlights”

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180227/a42a2a7525d876933a0834987f2b2efd.jpg

But I know from experience that this stuff only lasts so long [1 year tops, usually 6-8 months] And what’s it going to look like when that 1 year comes along? And I going to have to aggressively polish or sand the remnants of this coating off because it may look worse than if I hadn’t applied it to begin with? All I know for sure is headlights only look brand new once, and when they’re screwed they’ll never quite be the same ever again [restoring them every few months doesn’t equal same as new in my book]

I’m not as concerned about plastic trim, I’ll coat it without worrying too much about it. Except for the trim around windows. That stuff is among the very last things I ever decide to mess with. It’s easy to screw that up and screw it bad.

MarkD51
02-27-2018, 11:27 AM
Couldn't be the reason for this, that with the old part you had really strongly bonded contaminants in the plastic part, which you couldn't remove even with your thorough cleaning process, but the brand new part didn't suffer from this? If that's the case, maybe DLux would give similarly bad results on an older part. Or did you try DLux also on other, older parts on the same car, with similar structure as your bumper, and they turned out to be okay, even after multiple years?

And by that, you mean that it has faded back to a state which it would have been presumably in if you wouldn't have coated it? Or does it show symptoms similar to what I described (ie. uneven oxidization and streaks)? It would be also nice if you'd let us know afterwards how the re-coat turned out.

Pretty much every entire plastic part on the truck would've been treated equally-identically and with the very same products used on any given occasion as years passed. Meaning, I'd do everything, not just a singular part, and neglect the rest.

I wouldn't necessarily say that all my trim has reverted back to pre-DLX in regards to how it looks at present. In fact with a wash, and then a simple spray application of a product like Carpro Reload, my trim looks very nice indeed, like new.

As for the problems I personally experienced with GTechniq C4, yes, I agree that the product may have possibly been not to blame? That there are many members here who have gotten the desired end results and exemplary protection from this product.

As for me to guess what the problem was, I don't think I'll ever truly know?

MarkD51
02-27-2018, 11:34 AM
My problem with dressings is, that on exterior surfaces they seem to develop streaks rather quickly where the rain water is running down on the trim, which makes re-application necessary even more frequently, than otherwise.

With what you notice with some dressings on trim pieces, I have not ever experienced that with CQuartz DLX.

Yes, Wolfgang WETS is a very nice product indeed, I especially love this product on things like Rubber Weatherstrip, and use it exclusively for such on my vehicles.

Another pretty decent product for Trim, no matter the color because it is clear, is Ultima UTTG.

MarkD51
02-27-2018, 11:50 AM
I've never been extremely anal when applying CQuartz DLX any time I ever used it. In fact most times I've been pretty heavy with the applications.

Like for instance when I treated the really ugly lookng finned Windshield Wiper Cowl on my Truck which is murder to detail and make look nice.

I "dribbled" the product onto the cowl, and spread with a 1/2" wide Artist's Brush. I way over applied the product, but again no peeling, cracking, blotching, zero since.

Same when I treated the set of brand new 16" Cheapo Wheels I then bought for my truck last Summer. Coming back to the Midwest, I knew 22's with street tires would be a bad choice, so back to the 16's with BFG All Terrain TA/s 275/70-16".

Again, wasn't too anal with quantities, but what I have found with DLX, and how I've applied it a number of times, I apply with the MF Suede MF Sheets, then don't touch period! That DLX can start getting grabby quite quickly, and to overly touch and monkey with the application you can get streaking and smearing.

itsgn
02-27-2018, 12:48 PM
That’s exactly how I feel in regards to trying to protect brand new headlights.
Generally, headlights can be polished just fine. So, unless you put something on them that deeply penetrates the plastic and damages it, any coating you put on, can be also removed from them. Not so generally with plastic trim, especially if it's textured. Once you put something on that, it will be practically impossible to remove it mechanically, because you can't use a polisher on that, without damaging the texture and the material in general.