PDA

View Full Version : Some off label product testing on plastic trim..

Pages : 1 [2]

Eldorado2k
08-28-2018, 10:01 PM
Update: It’s been exactly 6 months and the plastic trim on the truck still looks as good as the day I protected it with the Megs Headlight Coating. Nothing has been applied to the plastic trim in 6 months![emoji41]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/d6e258ab1593e33c9e5de015046bd42c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180829/ca8fc80a6adafee4556587712d813b69.jpg

osiapstndp
08-29-2018, 08:50 AM
Thank you for sharing an update! That's really cool to see! Do you know if the trim pieces have been cleaned very often since you made the first post?

Cruzscarwash
08-29-2018, 06:03 PM
DAMN Eldo that looks great!!!

PaulMys
08-29-2018, 06:15 PM
damn eldo that looks great!!!

Yup!!

Farmallluvr
08-29-2018, 07:14 PM
that looks awesome,,everything I always seemed to use faded out right away,,,Armor _Dillo was the only thing I could get to last on Avalanches and Aztecs for any amount of time.......usually 5 to 6 momths

UncleDavy
08-29-2018, 09:00 PM
It looks like the experiment was a great success. I wonder if a coating like CQuartz DLUX would last longer than the headlight coating. I applied DLUX to the pillars of my Ford Explorer this weekend and I was pleased with the results. They seem to resist scratching even after a wipedown.

BillE
08-30-2018, 07:42 AM
I'll be! Whoda thunk it?

Thanx for all the testin' and tryin'.

Bill

Calendyr
08-30-2018, 06:10 PM
Old thread but want to chip in anyway ;)

McKee's 37 coating prep polish reacts badly on plastic. It's probably why you had issues after the coating. I experienced the same thing on a Ford Escape 2 years ago. Everyting looked great when I left, then the client tells me the plastic on the mirrors are turning white. I had to go back and re-do then. I removed the coating and cleaned the plastic with a degreaser. Then I wiped down with alcool and re-coated with McKee's 37 paint coating. Client was super happy and it did not turn white again.

I still have an almost full bottle of the coating prep polish and I am afraid to use it. I think it works well on the paint but every car has plastic trim, and I don't want to have to tape the trim to clean the paint. So I switched to Duplicolor Wax and grease remover after that adventure. This year I tried Gtechniq Panel Wipe which is supposed to be the best paint prep product on the market, but at 27$ for 16 ounces, I am not gonna buy it again. Especially when I can get Wax and grease remover for 15$ for a quart.

I do not use that product on plastic though, I am fairly certain it's mostly Acetone and I know that acetone and plastics don't like each other much ;)

Goonie75
08-30-2018, 07:27 PM
It looks like the experiment was a great success. I wonder if a coating like CQuartz DLUX would last longer than the headlight coating. I applied DLUX to the pillars of my Ford Explorer this weekend and I was pleased with the results. They seem to resist scratching even after a wipedown.This just happened after Dlux on flat painted mirror housings. Bummed. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180831/704d06e439b7c3fa792d466d1c7f1b19.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180831/cff55dce329f07cd872a271e1ea13a1f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Eldorado2k
08-30-2018, 11:39 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies.[emoji1417]

Thank you for sharing an update! That's really cool to see! Do you know if the trim pieces have been cleaned very often since you made the first post?

This truck rarely gets a bucket wash, but it does get a waterless wash wipedown about 1-2 times per week. Nothing but waterless.

McKee's 37 coating prep polish reacts badly on plastic. It's probably why you had issues after the coating. I experienced the same thing on a Ford Escape 2 years ago. Everyting looked great when I left, then the client tells me the plastic on the mirrors are turning white.

I think it depends on the type of plastic, this particular plastic is non porous. I wouldn’t recommend using the Coating Prep Polish on any other kind of plastic.

As far as the Paint Coating having a bad reaction because of the Coating Prep Polish? I doubt the Coating Prep Polish is to blame, especially since I pre cleaned the plastic with the Blackfire Paint Prep. If anything, I’d be more inclined to blame the Blackfire Paint Prep, or maybe the McKee’s Paint Coating just doesn’t play well on that kind of plastic, but I don’t think the Coating Prep Polish is to blame... If it actually did cause such a problem, I think it would also rear its ugly head on the paint when used prior to the coating, and that obviously doesn’t seem to be a problem.

...But regardless, there’s no doubt that using the Coating Prep Polish in this situation provided the best possible results, nothing else I tried even came close to removing the oxidation. [I tried APC, Degreaser, Magic Eraser, none of them worked at all]

I’m ok with not being able to use the Paint Coating as I originally planned, because I highly doubt it would’ve been able to last as long as the Megs Headlight Coating aerosol has.

My only question is: When and how should I go about re applying?
Should I just re apply the Headlight Coating on top of the layer that’s already on there?
Should I try to remove it and then re apply? [I’ve got a feeling it’s not going to be easy to remove]

I’d like to re apply the Headlight Coating before it begins to show signs of failing, because I’ve got a hunch things could be difficult to clean up and prep once that begins to happen.