PDA

View Full Version : Gyeon Wetcoat: maintaining and topping?

Pages : [1] 2

evo77
02-25-2018, 02:51 PM
Which products work well at extending and maintaining Gyeon Wetcoat? I'm afraid that conventional QDs and QWs will affect the water behavior.

Can Wetcoat be diluted so that it can be used as a hand applied WOWO?

The Guz
02-25-2018, 02:54 PM
I would go with Gyeon Cure.

Nix
02-25-2018, 03:14 PM
Which products work well at extending and maintaining Gyeon Wetcoat? I'm afraid that conventional QDs and QWs will affect the water behavior.

Can Wetcoat be diluted so that it can be used as a hand applied WOWO?

are you using wetcoat as standalone protection or using it as topper for coating..

evo77
02-25-2018, 07:17 PM
Just using as standalone.

Nix
02-25-2018, 07:27 PM
Just using as standalone.

then i will use Gyeon cure as guz suggested..

evo77
02-26-2018, 11:25 AM
Thanks guys. Was checking out vids on Cure and also reading Gyeon instructions for application. They say that it also can be applied when the vehicle is wet, such as after washing. Has anyone applied it this way? I assume it would be sort of like a drying aid procedure but I haven't seen any vids of anyone applying it this way (unless its finicky with streaking)?

Since I mostly do rinseless washes, I wonder if it can be mixed in with something such as N-914? Or I suppose spritzed on during the final wipe of washing a panel?

SWETM
02-26-2018, 04:17 PM
If useing as drying aid they recommend to dilute it at 1:2 useing destilled water. N914 is great as not leaving anything behind but if you want some sio2 to waterless wash or rinseless wash get carpro Ech2o. Which can be used as drying aid also I have heard some use gyeon cure in Ech2o QD dilution as they use reload to spice the QD up with success. Then some use uber rinseless also and it seems to the glossenhancer don't interfear with the water behavior and protection. Then since you use Wet Coat you have gyeon bathe plus car soap which also leaves sio2 behind and build up or extend the longevity of Wet Coat. If 2bm wash I would look into gyeon bathe as carpro reset those car soaps leaves nothing behind as well. If you like the crispie look of Wet Coat I would stay in the gyeon family of products if they leave any glossenhancer or protection behind. If you want to alter the look of Wet Coat you can test out which sio2 based product you like. I have used Wet Coat this winter as base protection and build it up with application october november and december. Then used from other brands a car soap with ceramic infused sio2 and a sio2 glossenhancer spray. Those altered the look on my silver metallic car with a darkening effect I liked. Have been pleased with Wet Coat as a protection longevity and self cleaning ability in harsh winter weather in Sweden. After the prewash I thought it was done on the lower side panels and the back of the car. But when I had washed it with carpro reset it was back on again.

There is some of my experience with Wet Coat this winter and thoughts about maintance on it. The only thing I have not been pleased with is the crisp looks on my silver metallic car. On the other car I maintain which is white it's looks great. So it's a personal reference thing what I like. And I like to see when you can altering the looks with only lsp of different kinds. When useing sio2 products I like to stay with them and not get any wax or polymer products to interfear with the water behavior and self cleaning ability.

I think that they have tested to dry applying Wet Coat. Think they didn't get it to work out as well. I have read about a hybrid method of dry and wet application when useing gyeon wet coat and did it twice. After the final rinse of the car soap you leave it wet as useally. Then use a damp mf towel or sponge and spritz this 1 time and then 2 spritz on the panel. Start at where you sprayed at the panel and spread it out to the whole panel and then pressure wash it off. This gave me to use less product and have had no problem with streaking or that some parts is failing before others. That I have read and heard about have happen to some. The longevity has been 7 weeks with no degrade of it which I think is great in the climate environment I live in. This is with none washing between so no topping. It was some detailer in UK that came up with this application. So no more than 2-4 sprays depending on the size of the panel. Just wring out the application media when saturated and use nitrile gloves.

The Guz
02-26-2018, 04:59 PM
I have used it straight with no issues. Some have stated that it streaks especially noticeable on darker paints.

In saying that, it can be used as a drying aid and on dry paint. I have not had any issues using it either way. I have recently diluted it at 1:1 with distilled water and also no issues. Similar to what Esoteric mentions in their video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVOj3mR6Ka0

ronkh57
02-26-2018, 05:25 PM
I've used cure, and also use PA spritzs

Desertnate
02-27-2018, 08:52 AM
I have no experience with this type of product, and my knowledge goes only as far as what I've read on forums and product pages, so please forgive my ignorance if this is a dumb question. Wouldn't a topper/extender for Wetcoat simply be another application of Wetcoat? For a post-wash wipedown to remove water spots and help drying, I'd think any coating friendly QD spray would do the trick.

evo77
02-27-2018, 01:40 PM
If useing as drying aid they recommend to dilute it at 1:2 useing destilled water. N914 is great as not leaving anything behind but if you want some sio2 to waterless wash or rinseless wash get carpro Ech2o.

I'm glad you mentioned this. Because I've been debating on getting Ech2o instead of N914+Cure Combo for cost efficiency. They appear to both do the same thing which is clean and add a minor layer of sio2. It wasn't until I realized that I have not been able to find anyone that carries the smaller 100 ml or 250 ml bottles as Gyeons website shows. Only the 400 ml. And since supposedly a little goes a long way when using Cure, it doesn't make sense to commit to such a large amount. Especially if I don't know if I'll be pleased with the results.

I think that they have tested to dry applying Wet Coat. Think they didn't get it to work out as well. I have read about a hybrid method of dry and wet application when useing gyeon wet coat and did it twice. After the final rinse of the car soap you leave it wet as useally. Then use a damp mf towel or sponge and spritz this 1 time and then 2 spritz on the panel. Start at where you sprayed at the panel and spread it out to the whole panel and then pressure wash it off. This gave me to use less product and have had no problem with streaking or that some parts is failing before others. That I have read and heard about have happen to some. The longevity has been 7 weeks with no degrade of it which I think is great in the climate environment I live in. This is with none washing between so no topping. It was some detailer in UK that came up with this application. So no more than 2-4 sprays depending on the size of the panel. Just wring out the application media when saturated and use nitrile gloves.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing this method. I love the idea of stretching a product so that you can maximize your dollar. The spreading with an applicator for more panel coverage seems to be a better alternative versus more spritzes on a panel. I still can't grasp the chemistry magic of how 2-3 sprays on a panel will protect the entire surface because the water rinses and sheets the sio2 down. :)

SWETM
02-27-2018, 02:44 PM
I was more refering to a Ech2o plus cure mix that some have had success with to not alter the look of Wet Coat with Ech2o reload mix. But I would use n914 neat and Ech2o neat for drying aid or QD also. Understand that you hesitate to get the 400ml cure. And use Wet Coat every 3e or 4th wash and n914 or Ech2o in between.

The chemistry is magic with those spray on spray off products. And I have heard about streaking when useing to much of product and hard to rinse it clear off.The problem with uneven failure I think is from when useing less product than needed. This way made sense to me to get an even spreading of the wet coat and it strechted the product alot for me. Not more than 100ml on a mid size station wagon so 10 application and easy 2 months longevity. If you did get cure as a drying aid or dry application easy 3 months longevity. Then it's depends much of how long you drive your car which longevity you getting. Lsp for me has failed on the lower side panels first. And it's outside 24/7 and have to say that the self cleaning ability has been great this winter. Last year protection from the dealership I had a much much dirtier car. And the difference I see to other cars is alot.

kevincwelch
02-27-2018, 09:26 PM
Although it could be used as a standalone, I would not suggest using the silica sprays as a standalone coating product. In my personal experience and testing, they don't last as long as the manufacturers suggest in real world scenarios. Having said that, I have Wet Coat, Hydro Blue and HydrO2 and use them all the time as toppers for my cars that have definitive coating products on them. Cure has essentially the same amount of SiO2 as does Wet Coat, but durability of Wet Coat is stated to be longer...Cure also has a narrower range of pH tolerance and more wetting capacity (less beading).

Frankly, if you're gonna go the Wet Coat route, I'd apply a base of wet coat and wash your car weekly with EcH2O (rinseless) or with Bathe+ and reapply Wet Coat every month. It takes longer to apply Cure, and I'm not sure what real enhancement it provides to Wet Coat. YMMV.

evo77
02-27-2018, 10:39 PM
I already applied Wetcoat to the wife's vehicle about 3 weeks ago and my car 1 week ago. The main reason was for its effortlessness. The salt and road grime were sticking to the paint like a magnet (Megs UFF applied late fall wore off) and I needed some quick protection to hold me over until weather warms up.

I just want to be able to stretch the protection as much I can before I try something else.

Klasse Act
02-28-2018, 06:30 AM
I have McKee's Hydro Blue Sio2 spray on coating on my wife's Mazda 6 right now. It was applied New Year's Day, so about 2 monthes in right now and it's still beading but of coarse not as tight s say 3 weeks in. I applied it to see how it would hold up on a car that doesn't get the attention mine gets as well as one that doesn't have any protection on it, so far so good.

I agree with what Kevin said and once my car is recoated this spring I will use the spray on coatings I have (Hydro2/WetCoat/secret beta testing product) for a little boost when needed or when I take a trip somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk