PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Water Tank setup....need a little help

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

3Crowns
02-25-2018, 02:25 PM
I'm putting together my mobile water tank setup and have run into a slight problem. Water is held in a 55gal plastic drum with attachments to a 12v Drummond transfer pump, out to the pressure washer. Pressure washer is a greenworks 2000psi, 1.2gpm. The transfer pump is a Drummond 12v 290gph. I get water out of the PW for about a solid minute, then water flow stops and the PW stays running looking for more water.

I'm going to assume that my transfer pump is on the week side and not pulling fast enough from the 55gal tank to the PW. If this is the case, can anyone recommend a good transfer pump that will allow it to keep up with the PW? The budget has been used on the PW and water tank, so I have to be able to use the equip I have. I also tried gravity feed, but got nothing from the PW. I have attached pictures so you guys have a better idea of the setup. Thanks for helping.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

KirkH
02-25-2018, 03:41 PM
Put a check valve in to keep your pump primed.

3Crowns
02-25-2018, 03:44 PM
Put a check valve in to keep your pump primed.

I appreciate the help. This is my first rodeo and google was a little vague. where would that connect and do you have a specific brand or type in mind?

Also, is the transfer pump I have sufficient enough if I were to get the check valve added to it?

KirkH
02-25-2018, 03:56 PM
You can get check valves in plastic or brass at any big box store. Just figure out how you can put it into your line before the pump using adapter, hose barbs, etc. You might move your pump closer to the tank also. You may need more gravity. My pump sits far lower than from where the water drains. My tank sits at the edge of the truck bed and pump is on the ground.

I use the heavy, cast iron, harbor freight clear water pump 120V and plug it into generator or 12V DC power inverter hooked to my truck battery. I can't find it on their website so I am not sure if it is still available.

KirkH
02-25-2018, 03:59 PM
This looks like the closest thing to the HF pump I am using. This is from NT so it will be higher quality than HF.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200664791_200664791

3Crowns
02-25-2018, 04:05 PM
This looks like the closest thing to the HF pump I am using. This is from NT so it will be higher quality than HF.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200664791_200664791

Yes sir, it is the one from HF. I will play around with putting my pump lower and seeing if that helps out any. If not, I will look at getting that NT pump. Aside from that, my PW should be up to the task or could that also be part of the problem?

SWETM
02-25-2018, 04:19 PM
See if I can get this translated lol. Is the water tank closed completly? It can be that you get vacuum so the water flow from the tank stops. Test to open the cap on the tank that is not conected to the hose.

KirkH
02-25-2018, 04:24 PM
Power washer is unlikely to be the limiting variable.

3Crowns
02-25-2018, 04:28 PM
See if I can get this translated lol. Is the water tank closed completly? It can be that you get vacuum so the water flow from the tank stops. Test to open the cap on the tank that is not conected to the hose.

No sir, there is venting in the top hole.

3Crowns
02-25-2018, 11:02 PM
UPDATE*** I moved the tank to the middle of the bed and was able to put the pump on the ground. Still not working like it should.

The best way I can describe it is the water comes out in a flow that is not steady, almost like it's "gulping", so possibly this is back to the transfer pump not being sufficient enough. I also made my vent hole bigger thinking that might create more of a constant flow, no dice. Back to square one....any thoughts? I appreciate the ideas so far.

KirkH
02-25-2018, 11:12 PM
UPDATE*** I moved the tank to the middle of the bed and was able to put the pump on the ground. Still not working like it should.

The best way I can describe it is the water comes out in a flow that is not steady, almost like it's "gulping", so possibly this is back to the transfer pump not being sufficient enough. I also made my vent hole bigger thinking that might create more of a constant flow, no dice. Back to square one....any thoughts? I appreciate the ideas so far.

The check valve will keep the pump primed and stop the gulping.

KirkH
02-25-2018, 11:14 PM
Here's a video explaining how the check valve works

YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow9vy5opVq0)

3Crowns
02-26-2018, 12:05 AM
Here's a video explaining how the check valve works

YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow9vy5opVq0)

Awesome! That helps a lot. I believe I found one, 3/4in brass one at Lowes. Now the fun part of getting the adapters and fitting it all together. Can this connect right to the outlet side of the pump and then to the hose and out to the PW?

KirkH
02-26-2018, 01:19 AM
Awesome! That helps a lot. I believe I found one, 3/4in brass one at Lowes. Now the fun part of getting the adapters and fitting it all together. Can this connect right to the outlet side of the pump and then to the hose and out to the PW?

That one will not work because it is push-to-fit for indoor plumbing.

You need one with NPT threads, like this one:

Water Source Brass Check Valve, 1 in. at Tractor Supply Co. (https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/water-source-brass-check-valve-1-in)

Also you want to put the check valve on the suction end of the system , so before the pump.

Mantilgh
02-26-2018, 10:49 AM
No sir, there is venting in the top hole.

I think you are creating a vacuum. You need for air to be able to enter the water tank by either cracking a plug open a little or drilling a small hole.