PDA

View Full Version : Leather seat care questions

eyedrop
02-23-2018, 05:02 PM
I just bought a car with black leather seats that are already in like-new condition with no signs of use or wear.

Can I get away with just using an easy 3 in 1 spray product? I was thinking about picking up Meguiars G7214 Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. Is this product alone adequate for the life of the leather, provided I stay on top of things? Or should I be using separate products and multi step process for proper maintenance?

I'm not interested in adding deeper color or shine to the seats. In fact, I prefer the seats to not have a shine or oily appearance. I want the OEM matte look and feel for the life of the car.

uhohitsstevo
02-23-2018, 08:38 PM
Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eldorado2k
02-24-2018, 12:00 AM
That Meguiars Leather Cleaner & Conditioner will work just fine for your situation, however it does leave a bit of a shine and darkens the leather quite a bit, especially if it’s black leather. So if you’re interested in something that doesn’t change the appearance of your leather, you might want to choose a different product.

Something like this Blackfire Leather Complete is a good 3 in 1 [cleans, conditions, protects] and it doesn’t change the look and feel of your leather in those ways you mentioned.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180224/c6bbdf73a6b037465a7cdfc1ab466bf6.jpg

ski2
02-24-2018, 12:09 AM
Optimum Leather Protectant was developed from the ground up for today's coated leather and vinyl. I just traded in an 07 VW Passant -- I always wiped the leather with a damp MF at each wash and used Optimum Leather Protectant every few months--the leather looked like new at trade in. Very simple to use and you can also use it on all the interior vinyl--it also includes a mild cleaner. Doesn't change the look of your leather and is not sticky or greasy.

Optimum Protectant Plus offers complete protection for interior leather, vinyl, plastic & rubber dressing. vinyl and rubber dressing, vinyl (https://www.autogeek.net/optimum-protectant-plus.html)

mfortier
02-25-2018, 10:31 PM
Has anyone used these newer nano products for leather applications versus the products mentioned above? They were originally intended for leather coats (to repel water via beading, etc.) but now they are moving into applications for car leather and high end furniture leather. I would appreciate any experiences - pro or con. Thank you!

PA DETAILER
02-25-2018, 10:35 PM
Been using McKess 37 AIO Leather lotion. Have to admit, it is impressive. Seats look great and also has a great leather scent.

McKee?s 37 All In One Leather Lotion (https://www.autogeek.net/mckee-leather-lotion.html)

mfortier
02-25-2018, 11:27 PM
Thanks Pro - That is a good lead.

Martin

Automoglow
02-28-2018, 03:32 PM
Been using McKess 37 AIO Leather lotion. Have to admit, it is impressive. Seats look great and also has a great leather scent.

McKee?s 37 All In One Leather Lotion (https://www.autogeek.net/mckee-leather-lotion.html)

Whats the difference the above vs. McKee's 37 Leather Shampoo 70/30 or the Mckees UV50? Trying to find a some new leather products!

mfortier
02-28-2018, 08:06 PM
I do not know the answer to your question Automoglo. I have been looking at the Leatherique Products recently and they look pretty good - reviews and all. I have a couch that could use some work as well.

ducksfan
02-28-2018, 08:31 PM
My experience is, it's very important in discussing auto leather to state whether your dealing with coated or uncoated leather. Very different how I would approach the two.

The Guz
02-28-2018, 08:55 PM
Has anyone used these newer nano products for leather applications versus the products mentioned above? They were originally intended for leather coats (to repel water via beading, etc.) but now they are moving into applications for car leather and high end furniture leather. I would appreciate any experiences - pro or con. Thank you!

Are you referring to something like these?

Review - CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/98797-review-carpro-cquartz-leather-coating.html)

Review - Gyeon Leather Shield (Leather Coating) (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/109399-review-gyeon-leather-shield-leather-coating.html)

mfortier
02-28-2018, 10:12 PM
Yes Guz, that is exactly what I was asking about. In doing my own research I'm not sure those products would be the best to use. If you read the info on the Leatherique buy page they go on and on about moisturizing / reconditioning the leather as the best "protection" (with a lot of 5 star reviews). I'm all about the nano revolution on hard surfaces like glass and body panels, etc. Certainly they do work on fabrics (look at the online videos of coffee running off a nano protected T shirt). Upon closer inspection however, the disclaimer (and I have not explored them all) indicates one needs to retreat that shirt every 3-6 weeks to maintain that type of effect. I have an old suede duster coat that I am going to use a nano spray on (after a specialized cleaning by a furrier). Better than Scotch Guard I guess. Getting back to the leather question, if you have a brand new high end leather couch or, similarly, a new car with new leather seats - do the nanos somehow "seal" the leather (from breathing") - and for how long? If you have experience with both approaches that would be valuable info. Thank you. (Sorry about the run-on.)

Eldorado2k
02-28-2018, 10:53 PM
My experience is, it's very important in discussing auto leather to state whether your dealing with coated or uncoated leather. Very different how I would approach the two.

Are there any vehicles [besides that Ford truck] within the past several decades that come with uncoated leather seats?

eyedrop
03-05-2018, 09:44 PM
OP here. My Blackfire Leather Complete came in the mail today. Initial impressions are very good. You get alot of product for your money. It does not alter the appearance of the leather in any way, so Im very satisfied in that respect. Its also super easy to quickly apply and buff out and leaves no streaks. Any idiot can do it.

And on that note, how often should I be re-applying this product? My drivers seat gets alot of use. The car sits inside a garage at night but bakes in the AZ sun all day during work...

For reference, the car is a 2014 Tesla Model S, which I assume has coated leather.