PDA

View Full Version : Megs super degreaser question

Ruben12
02-22-2018, 11:29 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking at purchasing a tire cleaner. I've heard that megs super degreaser works pretty well, but I'm looking for some opinions on it. I'm looking at buying a gallon since there is no offer for anything less than a gallon that I've seen online. Let me know what you guys think!

mattmann
02-23-2018, 12:35 AM
Degreaser is all i use for tire and wheel well cleaning. Also engine cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GEM65
02-23-2018, 12:57 AM
It's good stuff
Tire/ engine/ wheels / wheel well/ carpet/ interior spot cleaning where meguiars apc wouldn't cut.

VISITOR
02-23-2018, 01:01 AM
you might want to look into this, it can be used on both tires and (most) wheels and is dilutable up to 2:1

Meguiars Non-Acid Wheel and Tire Cleaner D-14301 (https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-non-acid-wheel-and-tire-cleaner-d-14301.html)

KirkH
02-23-2018, 12:47 PM
Super degreaser is what I use for wheels and many other things. The reason that I use it is cost. It works just as well as pricey dedicated wheel cleaners. It has a bit of a harsh smell, but it smells like "clean" to me.

GEM65
02-23-2018, 01:35 PM
It has a bit of a harsh smell, but it smells like "clean" to me.

The scent always remind me of:

Paul A.
02-23-2018, 03:43 PM
I agree with all comments thus far. I use it on almost EVERYTHING and at slightly different dilutions. GREAT price point, too!

osiapstndp
02-23-2018, 04:31 PM
Super Degreaser performs well and its dilution ratios are great. If the smell doesn't affect you then I'm sure you'll enjoy using it and get great results too.

I used to use it pretty often but the scent of the stuff takes my breath away and causes coughs. Once I started using Optimum Power Clean I stopped using Meguiar's Super Degreaser. Power Clean at 3:1 is great. Meguiar's D143 is great for wheels and tires, and I still use it when there is plenty of ventilation, but unfortunately it has the same affect on me as Super Degreaser.

Here's my take on the smell of the two products. This is more important to me than cleaning performance.

Super Degreaser - strong herbal and chemical scent that takes my breath away and temporarily makes it hard to breath.
Power Clean - ammonia and a sort of musk that sometimes smells "dirty," but it doesn't linger. This one is hard to explain. It smells bad, but no where near as bad or "hot" as Super Degreaser.

If you're doing a rinseless wash and need more "umph" out of pre-soaking the vehicle you can add one ounce of Power Clean to a bottle of ONR, N914, D114 or whatever else you use to pre-soak. If a car is a bit on the dirty side, and when I know that I will apply some sort of protection before the customer picks up the car, I'll add an ounce or two to a 32-ounce bottle of ONR or N914 that is already diluted 1:128. This picks up the punch quite a bit.

Tempest45
02-23-2018, 07:38 PM
NOT a fan of this product. Smell is terrible and very strong. Will make you cough at the slightest wiph of it. Cleaning power not great. Much better products out there.

Rrthomas78
02-23-2018, 07:51 PM
I'm gonna recommend d143 it is fantastic at cleaning tires however I still use wheel brightner for rims but I'm sure it's great for that too I'm just a w/b fan

KyleBis2
04-30-2018, 04:25 PM
I used Super D for a few months at 4:1 for tires and wheel wells. Worked good but recently I’ve joined the Purple Power train. So far I’ve had great results. I use it strait on tires and they come out excellent. It’s under $5 a gallon so it’s super affordable. Can’t really go wrong with it. A big part for tires too is the brush. A brush with softer bristled like a mother’s or CG brush dosnt always scrub the best. Something like a tuff shine brush will really get the results you want. Hope this helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Al1515
04-30-2018, 07:13 PM
Agree with comments regarding smell - D108 is malodorous & a bit stifling. Works decent. I don't plan on ordering more.
One of my favorite APCs is p21s TAW - it is my go-to product for routine cleaning of engine bay, wheel wells, and tires. I have also used it with great success as a pre-wash for paint. It is a touch on the pricier side, but also dilutable. That and p21s GWC are my favorite combo for tires/wheels.
As noted above, OPC is another excellent APC. It is great on tires and more economical than the above.
Another that I have enjoyed using, but is not universally liked, is Mother's Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner. Available in bulk on AG and also I have seen it recently at WM for, I believe, $4.49 / 24 oz.
The best tire cleaner I have ever used is Tuf Shine. Never been sure about versatility, so I've only ever used it for tires. I've been eyeing the concentrate but will need to wait for a while to first deplete all the products I have hoarded over time lol.
Happy detailing.

UncleDavy
04-30-2018, 07:30 PM
I have not used the degreaser but I use the D143 as a tire and wheel cleaner on a regular basis diluted 4:1. The smell is quite harsh and should not be inhaled. I use a chemical odor valved respirator when I use that stuff.

chet31
04-30-2018, 08:53 PM
Agree with comments regarding smell - D108 is malodorous & a bit stifling. Works decent. I don't plan on ordering more.
One of my favorite APCs is p21s TAW - it is my go-to product for routine cleaning of engine bay, wheel wells, and tires. I have also used it with great success as a pre-wash for paint. It is a touch on the pricier side, but also dilutable. That and p21s GWC are my favorite combo for tires/wheels.
As noted above, OPC is another excellent APC. It is great on tires and more economical than the above.
Another that I have enjoyed using, but is not universally liked, is Mother's Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner. Available in bulk on AG and also I have seen it recently at WM for, I believe, $4.49 / 24 oz.
The best tire cleaner I have ever used is Tuf Shine. Never been sure about versatility, so I've only ever used it for tires. I've been eyeing the concentrate but will need to wait for a while to first deplete all the products I have hoarded over time lol.
Happy detailing.

Agree, Tuf Shine is excellent.