PDA

View Full Version : Windshield cleaning

SRHTX
02-22-2018, 08:11 AM
Hey Everyone,

I have a question. How can you get all of the chemicals and things off the windshield of a vehicle where they can see the road at night when it's raining outside. On my car, I have tried so many things to try and clean my cars windshield and I can't figure it out.

#1 - I need to call the city and tell them that they need to paint lane stripes on the street where we can see the road at night and when it's raining outside.
#2 - I do have ne wiper blades on my Mazda

Any assistance would be helpful.

Thank you,

Stephen

BJackson8
02-22-2018, 08:41 AM
I use Duragloss 501 on a white thinpro pad to clean the really bad road film off windows.

GEM65
02-22-2018, 08:43 AM
This is very effective IMHO:

A reputable detailer's video guide:

YouTube (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q4WwOrkgXlc)

Goonie75
02-22-2018, 08:54 AM
Glass polish like GG glass polish or another fine polish might help. The inside can get funky from the plastics 'exhaling' so to speak all over the glass... a nasty film left... depending on if it's the outside or inside polish seems to help...

SWETM
02-22-2018, 09:24 AM
I have protection on the windshield that makes it easier to clean when dirty. The vision is also better at night and rain I think. So look at a window coating or window sealant that you found intresting to test. For cleaning windshield I have not used any that are sold on AGO but here are great products and you will be recommended good ones. I'm going to apply aquapel when the wheather allows it to. I have seen Mike have done a thread about deep clean windshield from inside out. A tips is to use an aggressive clay bar and then if the above contaminants is not gone the razor tool above. After this a dedicated glass polish to deep clean windshield. Then a panel wipe product to prep for the window coating.

Aquapel Glass Care, Rain repellent, aqua-pel, glass sealer, windshield repellent (https://www.autogeek.net/aquapel-glass-care.html)

Hope it help a little.

Ps. Don't forget to deep clean the wipers and wiper arms it's great that you have new ones. I'm gonna test cleaning the wipers with a tire and rubber rejuvenate cleaner to see if that is gonna get better. Ds

Hammer77
02-22-2018, 10:16 AM
For deep glass cleaning I use Wolfgang Perfekt Vision Glass Polish on the outside. I have used it by hand but is sooo much better by machine, I use either a CarPro or Griots glass polishing pad to me they are similar. Then coat with Pinnacle Black Label Glass coating. For the inside, I love McKee's 37 20/20 Cockpit Glass Cleaner. Easy to work with, great results.

After that I just maintain with QD on the outside, and glass cleaner on the inside.

KirkH
02-22-2018, 11:06 AM
I would also recommend an eye exam. Prescription glasses helped my night vision in the rain immensely!

HockeyCrazi
02-22-2018, 12:54 PM
Remember to clean the inside of the windshield as well. I use glass cleaner and a magic eraser to really scrub it clean. That plus a glass polish on the outside will really help make that glass crystal clear.

Stoner Invisible Glass Reach & Clean Tool (https://www.autogeek.net/stoner-invisible-glass-reach---clean-tool.html)

A tool like this will also save your back.

Route246
02-22-2018, 02:32 PM
Glass polish like GG glass polish or another fine polish might help. The inside can get funky from the plastics 'exhaling' so to speak all over the glass... a nasty film left... depending on if it's the outside or inside polish seems to help...

+1 for GG glass polish. If you have a DA or drill and 3" pad you can do wonders to restore clarity on your windshield.

Tempest45
02-22-2018, 03:20 PM
Been wanting to try a magic eraser with Meg's wash+ but haven't had a chance.

UncleDavy
02-22-2018, 06:23 PM
Stoners Invisible Glass finished up with a waffle weave glass towel on the exterior works for me. I purchased Aquapel but have not tried it yet. I am waiting for a 50 degree day. On the inside I love using Zap Cloth. Just a little water and the glass is streak free.

DaveT435
02-22-2018, 06:26 PM
Ceriglass on a CarPro Rayon pad, then coat with Opti-glass or similar

SRHTX
02-22-2018, 06:27 PM
I do have Stoner Invisible Glass cleaner. My problem is, it will not stop raining here in the Houston area. I haven't washed my Mazda in about two months time. There is no reason to do so since it will rain the next day. Also, all of my detailing things are over 300 miles away from me. I just had the Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax and the Opti-Bond Tire Gel arrive yesterday. Those two items will give me a chance to wash my car over the weekend since we only have a 30 to 40% chance of rain, until Sunday, we have a 60%. ugh..... I'm so sick and tired of rain rain and rain. I also have a microfiber knobby wash mitt that will help clean contaminates off the cars paint

Remember to clean the inside of the windshield as well. I use glass cleaner and a magic eraser to really scrub it clean. That plus a glass polish on the outside will really help make that glass crystal clear.

Stoner Invisible Glass Reach & Clean Tool (https://www.autogeek.net/stoner-invisible-glass-reach---clean-tool.html)

A tool like this will also save your back.

Route246
02-23-2018, 02:01 AM
I do have Stoner Invisible Glass cleaner. My problem is, it will not stop raining here in the Houston area. I haven't washed my Mazda in about two months time. There is no reason to do so since it will rain the next day. Also, all of my detailing things are over 300 miles away from me. I just had the Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax and the Opti-Bond Tire Gel arrive yesterday. Those two items will give me a chance to wash my car over the weekend since we only have a 30 to 40% chance of rain, until Sunday, we have a 60%. ugh..... I'm so sick and tired of rain rain and rain. I also have a microfiber knobby wash mitt that will help clean contaminates off the cars paint

I have a slightly different take on rain the next day. I try to wash all of the crud off before it rains and hit it with spray wax as a drying agent to prep it for the rain.

Sometimes, I even hit parts of my car while it is raining with quick detailer if I see road film building up on the paint. I hope I'm not the only one who does this.

Jerry0
02-23-2018, 10:49 AM
This was the very first Mike Phillips video I ever watched several years ago. Since then, this is the only product and method will I ever use. With occasional touch ups with McKees 37 or Dr. Beasly.

YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X17e8QDqgXU)

Whenever I detail mine, or a friends car, spotless, hydrophobic glass is my signature.