PDA

View Full Version : Newb

Jose1959
02-21-2018, 01:32 AM
Hello! Guys I'm about to put some Geyon on my wife's Tahoe . Plan starts with a wash and clay using soap as a lube. Should I use some type of polish before? Paint is in nice shape. Just want this to go off with good results. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Desertnate
02-21-2018, 08:47 AM
Which Gyeon products are you going to try?

You are talking about machine polishing, aren't you? Since you are going to clay the vehicle and you're going to coat it, I would absolutely polish it to make sure it is close to perfect and eliminate any marring which might happen as a result of claying the paint.

Once all of that is done, be sure to wipe down the surface with Prep to remove any polishing oils before applying the coating.

howardm4
02-21-2018, 07:37 PM
Consider getting some 'real' clay lube, even ONR at the indicated dilution. I personally like Nanoskin Glide too.

Jose1959
02-21-2018, 09:32 PM
I do have the prep. Just the polishing part scares me a bit. I have a Porter Cable .

The Guz
02-21-2018, 09:48 PM
Which Gyeon product are you planning to use on the Tahoe?

Jose1959
02-21-2018, 11:36 PM
Geyon Q2

The Guz
02-22-2018, 12:12 AM
Geyon Q2

Gyeon has Q2 in front of most of their products. If it’s one of their coatings then try out Q2 Primer Polish prior to applying one of the coatings.

Let it sit for 24 hours after wipe off and there is no need for a prep wipe. Plus additional gloss.

Jose1959
02-22-2018, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the input. Now for real clay lube what's out there in a retail store if at all? My thinking is that if I use a detail spray for lube I'm just putting wax back on. That's why I was thinking soap as the lube.

Eldorado2k
02-22-2018, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the input. Now for real clay lube what's out there in a retail store if at all? My thinking is that if I use a detail spray for lube I'm just putting wax back on. That's why I was thinking soap as the lube.

Not all detailing sprays are loaded with waxes and stuff.. For example the regular Meguiars Quik Detailer in the maroon bottle is a plain type of detailer that works very well, however if you go that route be sure to buy the largest bottle you can find as you’re sure to need more than just 16oz. worth.

IME normL car wash soap w/water isn’t good enough, unless you’ve come to expect marring every time you claybar your paint.

I use diluted Meguiars D114 Rinseless Wash Concentrate as claylube and it works great + I can use as much as I want because the concentrate 1oz. makes a whole gallon worth of claylube. McKee’s N-914 works the same way 1oz. makes a gallon of claylube.

GEM65
02-22-2018, 07:45 AM
agree with what Eldorado2k said ^^