PDA

View Full Version : Glass cleaners

Pages : [1] 2

DetailKitty
02-13-2018, 10:25 AM
Ok, I'm a little fed up with streaky interior glass....

Currently I use Pinnacle Crystal Clear with Water Repellent and a Cobra glass towel. I use this on the inside and out.
I feel like the water repellent aspect is causing streaking in the inside of the glass.

So my question is- what's best for the inside of glass?

Thx gang!

Eldorado2k
02-13-2018, 10:40 AM
2 towels instead of 1.

Hammer77
02-13-2018, 10:51 AM
I primarily use Megs D120 with 245 gsm mf towels, quick and easy no streaks. Every now and then I use McKee's 20/20 glass cleaner, very easy to work with, just takes an extra minute.

Desertnate
02-13-2018, 10:52 AM
I gave up on using towels and now use Sprayway glass cleaner with single-ply paper towels. I rarely have streaking.

Eldorado2k
02-13-2018, 10:53 AM
Which 1 is the Cobra glass towel? I searched it but I don’t see that specific towel?

DetailKitty
02-13-2018, 10:55 AM
Which 1 is the Cobra glass towel? I searched it but I don’t see that specific towel?

My bad- they aren't Cobra brand, just white waffle glass towels.

Cleankat
02-13-2018, 11:24 AM
A clean towel wetted with distilled water followed up by a dry towel is the only way I get streak free, or a towel soaked in a rinse less wash solution if there's more grime.... I don't even bother with glass cleaners anymore.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Eldorado2k
02-13-2018, 11:32 AM
My bad- they aren't Cobra brand, just white waffle glass towels.

IMO there’s 2 things wrong with those towels:
1. They’re too small. That towel @16x24”[especially if you try to get away with only using 1 at a time] will saturate very quickly and prevent you from being able to finish streak free when you flip the towel over to dry the glass..

The waffle weaves I use for glass are 24”x36” and can go much longer and actually stay dry on the dry side compared to any small 16”x24” glass towel because there’s much more towel/cushion between the folds. That makes it easy to have a wet and dry side instead of 2 saturated sides after a couple of windows.

2. It’s 80/20 blend. It’s a known fact that a waffle weave of 70/30 blend will dry far better than an 80/20 towel, and that’s why my glass towels [and mostly all of my waffle weaves for that matter] are 70/30 blend.

P.s. NormL microfiber towels can leave a micro amount of linting on glass. Try using a plush microfiber and it’ll be beyond a micro amount.
Paper towels can be problematic as well unless they’re the industrial kind [you don’t want to use the soft ones]

Spray the towel, never spray directly on the glass. Why? Because overspray happens. Why is overspray from glass cleaner a problem? Because alot of them contain alcohol, and alcohol is known to remove lsp in most cases.

DetailKitty
02-13-2018, 12:54 PM
IMO there’s 2 things wrong with those towels:
1. They’re too small. That towel @16x24”[especially if you try to get away with only using 1 at a time] will saturate very quickly and prevent you from being able to finish streak free when you flip the towel over to dry the glass..

The waffle weaves I use for glass are 24”x36” and can go much longer and actually stay dry on the dry side compared to any small 16”x24” glass towel because there’s much more towel/cushion between the folds. That makes it easy to have a wet and dry side instead of 2 saturated sides after a couple of windows.

2. It’s 80/20 blend. It’s a known fact that a waffle weave of 70/30 blend will dry far better than an 80/20 towel, and that’s why my glass towels [and mostly all of my waffle weaves for that matter] are 70/30 blend.

P.s. NormL microfiber towels can leave a micro amount of linting on glass. Try using a plush microfiber and it’ll be beyond a micro amount.
Paper towels can be problematic as well unless they’re the industrial kind [you don’t want to use the soft ones]

Spray the towel, never spray directly on the glass. Why? Because overspray happens. Why is overspray from glass cleaner a problem? Because alot of them contain alcohol, and alcohol is known to remove lsp in most cases.

I appreciate the response....

Actually need to buy new glass towels for spring, so any brand you recommend?

Eldorado2k
02-13-2018, 12:59 PM
I appreciate the response....

Actually need to buy new glass towels for spring, so any brand you recommend?

I sent you PM.[emoji400]

rangerbay
02-13-2018, 02:28 PM
I use very hot water with paper towels, then dry with a microfiber towel. Works real good to remove streaks .

VISITOR
02-13-2018, 09:11 PM
two microfiber towels (low nap side) and a quality glass cleaner...

Bruno Soares
02-13-2018, 09:18 PM
I like both the PFM glass towels and the Zap cloth. Don’t use too much product and do a final wipe almost dry with the low nap side.

mwoywod
02-13-2018, 11:41 PM
How do you like the Pinnacle Crystal Clear glass cleaner? I thought it was pretty exceptional when I tried it.

Since I ran out of pinnacle I've been using wolfgang Uber diluted @ (3oz per gallon)

Also, those cobra glass towels are REALLY nice, especially when you need to cut through lots of grime or smokers film on interior glass. But on my personally vehicles that are maintained on a bi-weekly or monthly basis the best glass towels I've found are the 245gsm or 300gsm edgeless microfiber terry towels. They are virtually lint free and extremely absorbent. I use a tiny spritz of uber per window and I can do all the interior windows and windshield on my truck with just one microfiber towel. I'm pretty sure there is only one place that sells 245 edgeless but PM me if you want to buy some but can't find them.

wing commander
02-14-2018, 02:54 AM
It took 13 replies before I agree completely with one. Anytime I clean glass that has not been cleaned on a regular basis I will use one wet (on) cleaning and one dry (off) buffing. On my own windows all I need is one with a spritz as mwoywod describes. If a car has heavy film I would not hesitate to use something like McKee's 37 20/20 Cockpit Glass Cleaner (https://www.autogeek.net/mckees-glass-polish.html) inside first and then proceed as normal.