PDA

View Full Version : DIY vs pay $$$

Pages : [1] 2

jboy2015
02-12-2018, 10:24 PM
Hey guys!!

with detailing season right around the corner for me, I'm on the fence this year to buy my own equipment and do it myself. A pro detail(single step polish and sealant) will cost me about $300 which is about what I'd spend on the following equipment:

porter cable 7424xp
three white pads
clay and lube
gyeon polish
gyeon prep
gyeon cancoat

ive watched soooo many videos and feel like I'm ready to tackle this, but is a single step polish really as easy as everyone doing the videos says it is?

or should I take the $200 polishing class at chemical guys first? I really don't want to tho lol

thanks for reading guys!

custmsprty
02-12-2018, 10:31 PM
You need way more than just htree white pads.

pads are what touch your paint, they are hands down the most importand component. Kind of like tires are to your vehicle.

6 white

6 orange

then 1-2 balck or blue for applying wax / sealant

HD Speed

HD Poxy

HD Polish

with those three products you'd be good to go.

Check out the link and the BMW I did

3D Professional Detailing Products, HD car care, 3D HD (https://www.autogeek.net/3d-car-care-products.html)

boom done.

LEDetailing
02-12-2018, 10:34 PM
DIY all the way!

With a DA and today’s abrasives, a one step is easy. Best part, if you aren’t satisfied with your one-step, a two-step polish only costs you another bottle of polish and some more pads. Welcome to the addiction:)

jboy2015
02-12-2018, 10:39 PM
DIY all the way!

With a DA and today’s abrasives, a one step is easy. Best part, if you aren’t satisfied with your one-step, a two-step polish only costs you another bottle of polish and some more pads. Welcome to the addiction:)

Haha ive fought the addiction for a while! So about 6 pads per polishing step? I'm definitely only doing a single step and using cancoat instead of sealer. Hydrophobic videos amaze me and that's kinda what I'm going for. But of course I'm open to suggestions. My main goal was just to get pushed to buy my own equipment. Thanks again man!

jboy2015
02-12-2018, 10:43 PM
You need way more than just htree white pads.

pads are what touch your paint, they are hands down the most importand component. Kind of like tires are toy our vehicle.

6 white

6 orange

then 1-2 balck or blue for applying wax / sealant

HD Speed

HD Poxy

HD Polish

with those three products you'd be good to go.

Check out the link and the BMW I did

3D Professional Detailing Products, HD car care, 3D HD (https://www.autogeek.net/3d-car-care-products.html)

boom done.

Thanks for the advice man, I'll def get more pads and look into 3D products. My wife got a new benz with the typical dealer micro swirls so I don't believe any heavy correcting would be needed.

The bimmer looks toooooo clean btw !!

LEDetailing
02-12-2018, 11:11 PM
Haha ive fought the addiction for a while! So about 6 pads per polishing step? I'm definitely only doing a single step and using cancoat instead of sealer. Hydrophobic videos amaze me and that's kinda what I'm going for. But of course I'm open to suggestions. My main goal was just to get pushed to buy my own equipment. Thanks again man!

Six would be about right. Or you could divide the car into two polishing days/sessions and clean the three pads after day one. The slower you go and take your time, the better the final results. I’ve rushed to finish polishing in the past and paid the price with inferior results. Breaking the polishing into multiple sessions can make it more enjoyable and less stressful.

I’ve wanted to try Gyeon products. Let us know how it turns out.

LEDetailing
02-12-2018, 11:19 PM
Custmsprty,

I’ve never used Poxy, but I still remember the first time I used HD Speed. Blew my mind how much fun and relaxing polishing is when paired with such a great product. Speed really is a “no brainer” product to always have on hand.

Calendyr
02-13-2018, 12:29 AM
That is very subjective. Are you a DIY type of person? If you are, I suggest you get the tools and products to do it yourself. If not, you might want to let a pro do it. Doing a full polishing job will take you roughtly 6 hours with the wash and decontamination. Is that something you feel would be interesting to do?

If for you working on your car is a pleasant thing, you have patience and are a perfectioning you should definatelly get the stuff and learn to do it yourself. Otherwise, if you think this will be a shore and you are gonna want to rush through it, let someone else do it.

You know yourself, so it should be clear to you if you should go one way or the other.

Route246
02-13-2018, 03:35 AM
Hey guys!!

with detailing season right around the corner for me, I'm on the fence this year to buy my own equipment and do it myself. A pro detail(single step polish and sealant) will cost me about $300 which is about what I'd spend on the following equipment:

porter cable 7424xp
three white pads
clay and lube
gyeon polish
gyeon prep
gyeon cancoat

ive watched soooo many videos and feel like I'm ready to tackle this, but is a single step polish really as easy as everyone doing the videos says it is?

or should I take the $200 polishing class at chemical guys first? I really don't want to tho lol

thanks for reading guys!

You can do less than a whole vehicle at a time. Start with your roof to get a feel for your DA. Or your hood. You don’t need to do the whole car in one shot. Save on pads that way, too. Because of time I do my vehicles in three parts on separate Saturdays.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

jboy2015
02-13-2018, 11:55 AM
Thanks for all the insight guys. I'm going to pull the trigger!

Do you guys recommend purchasing white or orange pads? (Or a few of both)
I'll be working on my single cab ram and my wife's Mercedes c300 using 3D Polish+ and the porter cable
Both are black with with light to moderate swirls. (More light than moderate)

Thanks again!!

Route246
02-13-2018, 12:04 PM
Thanks for all the insight guys. I'm going to pull the trigger!

Do you guys recommend purchasing white or orange pads? (Or a few of both)
I'll be working on my single cab ram and my wife's Mercedes c300 using 3D Polish+ and the porter cable
Both are black with with light to moderate swirls. (More light than moderate)

Thanks again!!

Try Speed first on the swirls and see if it works. You may be pleasantly surprised. No sense using anything stronger than necessary.

Cut chart is here: http://site.autopia-carcare.com/newsletters/2017/Polishchart/AutopiaPol800.jpg

3D is in the first row.

BudgetPlan1
02-13-2018, 12:40 PM
I'd stick with your original plan that ends in Gyeon CanCoat, which will not play well with HD Speed. If yer gonna take the time to put a machine on the paint, may as well used dedicated polish and protect with something a bit more durable than HD Speed. Time wise, you'll save about 15 minutes using HD Speed with it's limited Poxy-ish protection vs polishing + Gyeon CanCoat protection. Have never used Gyeon Polish but a small bottle of Jescar Finishing Polish may be a better choice. Not sure the extent of the defects or if a polish will get ya where ya want to be.

FWIW I started with:
GG6 DA
(6) Lake Country Flat Pads - White
(6) Lake Country Flay Pads - Orange
Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 - 8oz
Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 - 8oz
Poorboys Tornado Pad Cleaner
Gyeon Prep - 500ml
12 Pack Edgeless Polishing Cloths

Unless ya have some deep/more severe defects, the combo will give you medium polish (WG TSR) on orange pads if needed and finishing polish (WG FG) on white pads.

It's a nice overall combo to start with and you can move on from there if needed....or wanted...or compelled because now your teetering on the edge of the rabbit hole.

The Wolfgang 'Twins' are pretty close to Menzerna 2400 & 3500 but you can get 'em in the smaller bottles.

Maybe grab some McKees 914 or Optimun no rinse which you can use in a variety of ways; rinseless wash, waterless wash, clay lube, quick detailer, etc. depending on dilution.

Everybody has their preferences, this worked well for me when I started. Gyeon CanCoat is a steller way to finish off; great gloss, blindingly easy application, great water behavior and self-cleaning characteristics. Recently read review from user who got a year outta it maintaining only with Gyeon Bathe+, a SiO2 infused auto shampoo which would play nice with CanCoat.

Eldorado2k
02-13-2018, 12:47 PM
What's up jboy2015. [emoji1366]I just now saw your thread...

I replied to your PM so you already know my opinion as far as that part...

However as far as paying Chemical Guys $200 for a detailing course? Don't do it bro.. Heck, I'd be happy to walk you through your 1st time polishing if you'd like, and I won't cost anywhere near $200 for the lesson. [emoji2]lol.

Eldorado2k
02-13-2018, 12:51 PM
Btw guys, I polished OP Dodge truck the 1st time around... I'd be happy to guide through any questions in person if requested. [emoji4]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180213/41500a39277b66f99abebacac1036698.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180213/2f2ff76435c8f755aa2362c41940e794.jpg

MattPersman
02-13-2018, 01:03 PM
The Gyeon polish is a good polish before cancoat. It’s like a 4 oz bottle

Maybe some green pads would be a good one step followed by cancoat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk