PDA

View Full Version : Metabo or Flex??

Pages : 1 [2]

ZoranC
01-29-2008, 03:55 PM
I myself have the metabo and the only thing I don't like about is the speed control dial is on the bottom compare to other rotarys where it's on the top.
My two additional objections were: No speed trigger (no trigger feathering) and compromise made to achieve short length (elimination of handle exerts more load on palm and fingers).

Z06-Goose
01-30-2008, 12:14 AM
Easy. Learn how to handle the rotary and you will be very pleased. Cuts faster and gives a superb finish.You may be right Porta. I was looking at the FLEX LK603VVB Circular Polisher and I may just order that one. I still have my PC which I may just have to use it with my 3.5" BP for small areas, since I figure I can still use the Flex Circular Polisher to apply sealant and such with it
I know I sound like a confused man, and I am! :D
So, final advice...

Flex DA or Flex Rotary? Feed back please

ZoranC
01-30-2008, 12:56 AM
So, final advice... Flex DA or Flex Rotary?

Feed back please

Ummm, wasn't that feedback (Flex DA vs. rotary) already given?

If you do end up leaning to rotary as final decision you should rephrase the question into "Hitachi or Dynabrade". As much as I like Flex DA I am not impressed with Flex rotary. It starts at 1000 RPM, weighs pound or so more than Hitachi, and has one year warranty (while Hitachi has five) while costing $75-ish more than Hitachi.

Z06-Goose
01-30-2008, 01:29 AM
Ummm, wasn't that feedback (Flex DA vs. rotary) already given?

If you do end up leaning to rotary as final decision you should rephrase the question into "Hitachi or Dynabrade". As much as I like Flex DA I am not impressed with Flex rotary. It starts at 1000 RPM, weighs pound or so more than Hitachi, and has one year warranty (while Hitachi has five) while costing $75-ish more than Hitachi.That's the kind of feedback I want
Originally I was thinking DA, then the more I read, the dumber I get, but I should stick with my guts here. Flex DA will be my final answer :cheers:

ZoranC
01-30-2008, 01:40 AM
Originally I was thinking DA, then the more I read, the dumber I get, but I should stick with my guts here. Flex DA will be my final answer :cheers:
Are you sure? LOL

One thing I have learnt in my life is that whenever I did not follow my gut feeling I ended up making a mistake.

I feel you will be happy with your gut's feeling. Please notice rotary is still the king (until one day sooner or later ...) but Flex DA provides both a bridge to those that are heading toward rotary while they are learning it and a fallback plan to those that do use rotary but might want to reach for something else for whatever reason (like need to follow up after the rotary). I feel Flex DA has appeal to both sides of market's spectrum.

Junebug
02-01-2008, 09:12 PM
To anybody that is worried about using a rotary (hey - I was) all I can tell you is "get one" and keep the speed at 1000 max, as long as you move it, stay off trim, try to keep the pad flat and RELAX!! you will be fine. Your first mistake will occur when you think you've (mastered) it. Never think that, respect the machine and follow the normal good sense rules. After you have a few hours under your belt, you'll learn when to speed up a bit. There are still a lot of variables like polish/pad choices and the degree of correction you're trying to get. Lastly, I have a Makita, I like the side handle over the bail one, I prefer 3M 7.5" pads and Menzerna IP and FFII. But the mac daddy for final polish is 3M UltrafineSE!!

Z06-Goose
02-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Well, I've come to realize that in my particular situation, the Flex would fit my needs the best
With the understanding that the rotary is the best tool you can have to tackle anything short of a wet-sanding job, I still think that in reality, I won't be seeking or taking on jobs that would require that kind of paint correction

Currently, I've been using the PC7424 and we all know its limitations Having the Flex to be a step-up from the PC will suffice with the jobs I'll be doing
I do this as a hobby and to make money on the side. If later on I decide I can expand from a hobby to a part-time business, then I would consider having a rotary
I actually have access to a Makita Rotary that my friend uses at his shop, and I have learned a trick or two about using it and it's not as bad in terms of being intimidating as most people have been led to believe
With that said, I do appreciate all the input all of you have contributed with my request and it has helped a lot in making my decision to get the Flex a solid one
~Goose

ZoranC
02-01-2008, 11:14 PM
To anybody that is worried about using a rotary ...
But this was not about "fear of rotary", was it?

Woob
02-02-2008, 03:30 PM
To anybody that is worried about using a rotary (hey - I was) all I can tell you is "get one" and keep the speed at 1000 max, as long as you move it, stay off trim, try to keep the pad flat and RELAX!! you will be fine. Your first mistake will occur when you think you've (mastered) it. Never think that, respect the machine and follow the normal good sense rules. After you have a few hours under your belt, you'll learn when to speed up a bit. There are still a lot of variables like polish/pad choices and the degree of correction you're trying to get. Lastly, I have a Makita, I like the side handle over the bail one, I prefer 3M 7.5" pads and Menzerna IP and FFII. But the mac daddy for final polish is 3M UltrafineSE!!

Have you been able to get Ultrafina SE (along with the pad) locally in NC?