PDA

View Full Version : lookswise any difference from a coating or just a good sealant

Pages : [1] 2

wildwilly1
02-07-2018, 11:19 AM
i have a white bmw and am looking for something that is going to make the paint look like its been dip in glass almost like you could put your fingers into the paint. i have done a full correction with the gg boss. paint is prob 90% right now . am i going to get much of a difference in looks from a good sealer and a ceramic coating. used klasse hgsg 4 coats as should be put it on wait 1 hr buff it off wait 8hrs add another coat could not really tell a difference between that and just one coat of wg dgps any suggestions thanks is this even possible with white paint

Rsurfer
02-07-2018, 11:38 AM
White paint is the hardest to shine. If you spent all that time with 4 coats of Klasse, leave it alone. It's all in the polishing and since you got it 90%, your maxed out. Go find another car to work on.

Desertnate
02-07-2018, 11:40 AM
I'll start off by saying the looks of waxes/sealants/coatings are really subjective and there is some variety in the appearance between coating and sealants as well.

On a white car that has already been corrected and wearing a couple coats of KSG, I'm thinking you're not going to notice much difference. I would even be willing to say on most colors the differences in appearance will be slight. There isn't a dramatic difference between sealants and coatings.

On my family vehicles I used Collonite 845 for several years before switching to McKee's 37 Paint Coating. I was expecting a huge difference in appearance, but actually found the look to be almost identical on all of them (dark red, black, and metallic gray). I haven't been disappointed because they still looked great and using a coating has made keeping them looking good really easy.

WillSports3
02-07-2018, 03:18 PM
I find there is a difference between the coatings and other lsps in the cases where the coating slightly darkens the car. With coatings like c quartz classic, I see no difference. I definitely see a difference between McKee hi Def paint sealant and c quartz uk. UK looks more like glass while McKees paint sealant looks just shiney.

If you want white paint to shine, Polish angel is your best choice.

custmsprty
02-07-2018, 03:52 PM
I find there is a difference between the coatings and other lsps in the cases where the coating slightly darkens the car. With coatings like c quartz classic, I see no difference. I definitely see a difference between McKee hi Def paint sealant and c quartz uk. UK looks more like glass while McKees paint sealant looks just shiney.

If you want white paint to shine, Polish angel is your best choice.

Yup, Polish Angel Viking Coat, prepped with PA Esclate lotion avalailable at sister site:

Polish Angel Car Care Products (https://www.autopia-carcare.com/polish-angel-car-care-products.html)

My DD after the dynamic duo:

I machine applied the Viking Coat, barely used any at all to do entire vehicle.

BudgetPlan1
02-07-2018, 06:46 PM
^^^^
There's that picture again...amazing. Luscious.

custmsprty
02-07-2018, 07:11 PM
^^^^
There's that picture again...amazing. Luscious.

I've been maintaining it with PA Carnauba Arts White Alabaster and it is amazing stuff. I last applied that months ago and haven't washed my dd in months and it rained last weekend and it's still protecting it very well. I'm going to apply PA CF Creme Centurion in the near future while the weather is still nice down here.

ronkh57
02-07-2018, 07:57 PM
I've been maintaining it with PA Carnauba Arts White Alabaster and it is amazing stuff. I last applied that months ago and haven't washed my dd in months and it rained last weekend and it's still protecting it very well. I'm going to apply PA CF Creme Centurion in the near future while the weather is still nice down here.

Give a shout if ya want to try gold zircon & high gloss

ronkh57
02-07-2018, 08:00 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/ronkh/Mobile%20Uploads/31161344552_25c0dd4ce6_o_zpsbz0r5ayy.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/ronkh/Mobile%20Uploads/20161102_191850_zps09xaivk9.jpg

Eldorado2k
02-07-2018, 11:55 PM
@ronkh57. How do you maintain your chrome wheels?

fightnews
02-08-2018, 06:57 AM
Here's my opinion. Even if it does make a slight difference it's only going to last about a day. After that the only way you can keep the car looking it's absolute "BEST" (The word everyone is Lwayz asking about) is by putting the work in. You need to wash it at least once a week and preferably use a detail spray. The dirt can collect on the car in a day and hinder the gloss. That's a fact.

So whatever you think is the best means nothing if you dont stay on top it. Doing tbe work putting the time in means way more then any product.

Mike Phillips
02-08-2018, 08:18 AM
I could post probably hundreds of pictures of cars detailed here at Autogeek or by me personally that have dripping wet looking paint using product from the three categories of protection,

Waxes
Sealants
Coatings

And they would all look great in person and in pictures.

That said... I would say with the correct prep work, a quality brand ceramic paint coating will make the paint look glassy over glossy and the results will last longer as long as you "touch" the finish carefully anytime you touch it i.e. washing or wiping.

And the above all said, coatings are not for every car and every person, sometimes a traditional high quality carnauba wax is the right product and sometimes a synthetic sealant is the right product. A lot of times a good cleaner/wax is the right product. I use them all and show them all and of course.... Autogeek sells them all.

:)

jdgamble
02-08-2018, 08:47 AM
I use WGDGPS on my mineral white BMW, and it's hard to imagine achieving a significantly higher level of gloss with anything else. I also just put DG 601/111 on my wife's white minivan, and it looks super glossy as well. They both look similar, but maybe not quite as glossy, as the PA pics. I also use Pinnacle spray wax sometimes after washes, and that definitely ups the slickness/glossiness. I feel like white is not a color that will showcase the visual advantages of one product over another as well as a darker color.

I am considering a coating for my wife's van, cuz it's a beast and I don't want to deal with it. But for my car, I like playing with it and applying new products and such. I feel like I wouldn't want to mess with a coated car as much. So I'll stick with sealants and waxes for now.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

TTQ B4U
02-08-2018, 09:01 AM
custmsprty has the best example that's handy. IMO his Rogue would look like that with just about any topping on it. The reason is that the look and depth is due to the polish more-so than the LSP. I'm a fan of coatings over sealants or waxes anymore but YMMV. Work on getting your car to 100% perfect with a very very refined polish and even naked, it will turn heads. From there top it with what you think is best for your use and care.

ronkh57
02-08-2018, 10:55 AM
@ronkh57. How do you maintain your chrome wheels?

Clean/hydroblue