PDA

View Full Version : GYEON Q2 Mohs Ceramic vs cquartz Ceramic

Pages : [1] 2

bryanviper
02-02-2018, 09:30 AM
Hello All,

Local supplier is now carrying GYEON products. I have heard good things about it however I'm wondering how it compares to Cquartz?

GYEON Q2 Mohs Ceramic Coating
vs
Cquartz UK
Cquartz 110

Thanks

The Guz
02-02-2018, 12:59 PM
I'll let budget reference his long term coating test but Mohs is easier to apply than both versions of Cquartz. Mohs gives a better overall look than either one. UK is close in the looks department.

In the overall grand scheme of things both manufacturers will perform about the same.

bryanviper
02-02-2018, 02:03 PM
Interesting, based on the description is seems like Gyeon may last longer. Not sure which one is thicker and provides more protection against minor scratches. Also you say Mohns looks better which is a good benefit.

Cant wait to hear from Budget.

Thanks

I'll let budget reference his long term coating test but Mohs is easier to apply than both versions of Cquartz. Mohs gives a better overall look than either one. UK is close in the looks department.

In the overall grand scheme of things both manufacturers will perform about the same.

BudgetPlan1
02-02-2018, 06:13 PM
Sent ya some PM's with the entire tawdry tale of lotsa coatings.

Specific to your question however, I prefer Gyeon Mohs to Cquartz 110/TiO2. Cquartz didn't have a slick feel at all after application. It's a solid product and a good value for sure, and has held up quite well since I applied to a newer fleet van at work. Stays reasonably clean with no intervention. Mohs just seems to be 'tougher'. Can't really remember anything notable about Cquartz application though...was about a year ago and never used again. Have not tried UK.

Mohs seems to have a 'classier' gloss to it. I like Mohs for certain situations, although it's #3 on my list of favorites. Guy at work bought a new white Ford F150, wanted it protected. He will wash on occasion but by no means a car obsessed person. I used Gyeon Mohs and then topped with Gyeon Booster to give better water behavior/self cleaning characteristics and longevity. Did that around last October and it's doing quite well.

This is what I look for in a coating:

1. Great Self Cleaning Abilities: Our cars see rain and often get rained on in the morning and then sit outside in the sun in the afternoon; don’t like waterspots. I like clean cars but don’t like cleaning cars.

2. Durability and resistance to environmental contamination like water spots and bird bombs. Don’t wanna have to worry about running home and immediately dealing with removing things that would otherwise etch bare paint. Like hard water spots did to our Corvette during the Zaino years. Also has to last cuz I don’t wanna be hauling out compounds and polishes every Spring, given reasonable maintenance.

3. Appearance: Well, stuff has to look good. Has to accentuate body lines, curves and hard edges. It needs to make me stop and admire it when walking towards it, walking away from it or catching a glance in the garage when I take out the garbage.

Mohs does indeed provide those aspects although I have found products I'd rank above it mostly just due to personal preferences.

You really can't go wrong with either Cquartz or Mohs but if *I* hadda choose, I'd go with Mohs. Or Mohs + Cancoat. Or Mohs + Booster. Or the new Syncro (Mohs base & Skin topcoat, although too new to determine longevity)

PM me with any questions...gotta get back to finishing up my latest coating adventure...

BudgetPlan1
02-02-2018, 06:18 PM
Oh yeah...CarPro (Cquartz) has their own version of Gyeon Booster now called Gliss that you can top Cquartz with; it's a fluorine based topcoat like Booster so it'll amp up the gloss and provide better water behavior. Haven't used it though.

The Guz
02-02-2018, 09:42 PM
Gliss doesn’t really add that much gloss if anything. Mostly there for slickness and anti water spotting characteristics.

It is supposed to have anti static properties but I have not noticed that at all. Seems to attract the same amount of dust as a typical coat d panel.

I find Gliss to be slightly slicker than TiO2. Nowhere near skin.

I would not look too much into longevity. 1.5-2 years is about right anyway for a consumer grade coating.

I do agree that Mohs is slightly slicker than both Cquartz. UK being the grabbiest.

I have Gyeon Pure and will be trying that out. Will probably top it with Skin just for the hell of it since I have quite a bit of it left.

Can’t really go wrong with either of these coatings.

BudgetPlan1
02-02-2018, 10:52 PM
I have Gyeon Pure and will be trying that out. Will probably top it with Skin just for the hell of it since I have quite a bit of it left.

Can’t really go wrong with either of these coatings.

Skin really does go a long way. Used up the leftover Mohs on the roof of the newest van tonite, topped by Skin. Used all the Mohs, still have some Skin left. With the tweaks to Mohs and Skin, Syncro is just plain fun to use; very straightforward application.

Will be interested to see how it plays with whatever you use it on. I have Pure sitting in the shelf as well, probably won't get to it until March. Will be using Gyeon One this coming week.

The Guz
02-03-2018, 12:24 AM
Skin really does go a long way. Used up the leftover Mohs on the roof of the newest van tonite, topped by Skin. Used all the Mohs, still have some Skin left. With the tweaks to Mohs and Skin, Syncro is just plain fun to use; very straightforward application.

Will be interested to see how it plays with whatever you use it on. I have Pure sitting in the shelf as well, probably won't get to it until March. Will be using Gyeon One this coming week.

Looking forward to hearing how syncro holds up in your neck of the woods. It rained a few days here in my area of So Cal and it sure looks like it's going to be another dry year. I did use CarPro Ech20 1:20 as a drying aid last wash and that seemed to work well. Still undecided if I even want to top it with something like Cure.

I am going to start polishing my Camaro a bit this weekend and get it ready for Pure and Skin to see how it looks on white.

Ochnob
02-03-2018, 08:53 AM
And just to mirror what Budget is saying here is a really cool comparison video.

YouTube (https://youtu.be/VHpU-bOpIhI)

This guy and Budget would have a interesting conversation over a beer.

BudgetPlan1
02-03-2018, 10:30 AM
Likely a one-sided conversation, this guy really knows his stuff...i'd probably be busy taking notes.

The only thing I truly know about this stuff is that there is certainly more I don't know than I do, by a pretty considerable margin.

I have come to the realization that there is no true *BEST* anything; while there may be a "best for you" there are just too many variables to declare a best, especially given the very, very, very subjective nature of appearance, which is a factor in all this. I don't expect to find anything 'better' than my favorites now because there are so many intangibles that go into my likes/dislikes, stupid things like vendor, manufacturer, undefinable 'cool' factor that are completely outside the realm of how a coating actually performs. Since I do this for fun, it's not just results-based but rather a sum of the whole 'experience' I associate with my favorites. The fact that my favorites happen to work the best *for me* of anything I have tried is just a remarkable coincidence. I've had a lot of fun, learned a bit and met a lot of cool people, both in person and online, that all play into the experience for me. It's neat.

Most of the stuff I have tried 'works' as advertised, longevity aside...can't really say I've used any truly bad products. Everything is shiny, everything makes cleaning a car easier, some looks 'this way', some looks 'that way', some do better at 'this' some do better at 'that'. It's all crazy, really...and that's part of the fun!

Like the man says, "Find something you like and use it often".

Edit: Thanks for the link, will watch later when I finish prepping/polishing/coating a work truck (albeit a brand new one) today. Dunno if I'm in a Rupes mood or a Flex "Just get it done" 3401 mood.

And just to mirror what Budget is saying here is a really cool comparison video.

This guy and Budget would have a interesting conversation over a beer.

vandau
02-03-2018, 11:36 AM
Hey Budget or Guz, What do you guys think of using one brand as base (say Mohs) and top with another brand (CQ)? I know CQ on CQUK works fine. I know Cure/Wetcoat/Cancoat plays well with CQ/UK. But have been thinking about mixing brand coats (instead of layering one Mohs on Mohs for example) to see if the appearance will look/perform better.

Klasse Act
02-03-2018, 11:59 AM

This guy and Budget would have a interesting conversation over a beer.I watched this yesterday, guy really spent some time in this review, unbiased too. One of the best guys on YouTube, bar none[emoji118]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Guz
02-03-2018, 02:11 PM
Hey Budget or Guz, What do you guys think of using one brand as base (say Mohs) and top with another brand (CQ)? I know CQ on CQUK works fine. I know Cure/Wetcoat/Cancoat plays well with CQ/UK. But have been thinking about mixing brand coats (instead of layering one Mohs on Mohs for example) to see if the appearance will look/perform better.

I prefer to stay with the same family of products. Also given that both coatings will do the same job and if there would be any compatibility issues is another thing to consider. Although probably minor. With the new toppers available such as Gliss, Booster, Exo V3 it it is just to easy to use those.

BudgetPlan1
02-04-2018, 11:02 AM

Generally I think you can get away with mixing boosters/toppers/coating-lite products between mfg but as for the coatings themselves, I wouldn't do it to a whole car. I do have a vehicle or two that I know of where I applied one coating over another in a doorjamb just to see what would happen but never really watched it very closely.

Even mixing toppers and boosters may occasionally cause unexpected results. I did use an oil-based non-AG SiO2 booster on a WG Uber coated vehicle once and it was never 'right' again until I removed it all and started from scratch.

I watched this yesterday, guy really spent some time in this review, unbiased too. One of the best guys on YouTube, bar none[emoji118]

Subscribed to his channel for a while now, watched a few bits and pieces over time. Yesterday though kinda lost track of time and watched about 5hrs of his stuff. Straight. Very interesting, unbiased and well informed 'everyman' presentation...i like him. Always seems bundled up and cold though.

Klasse Act
02-04-2018, 11:08 AM
I'm seriously thinking about Syncro in the spring, something about Gyeon. I mean the first 3 coats, with an hour cure time in between, will have me spending about 5 hrs and then the Skin coat goes on 4 hrs after the 3rd coat, much more involved for sure but I'm ok with this.

Durability is said to be 24 months, but is this because your applying 4 coats in total or is the concentration higher or better chemicals in there?