PDA

View Full Version : Preference in Tire and Wheel cleaners

Pages : [1] 2

willowcat11
02-01-2018, 01:58 AM
Do you guys prefer to use a cleaner that cleans both the tires and wheels, or do you like to use a specific tire cleaner on the tires and a specific wheel cleaner on the wheels?

Aaryn NZ
02-01-2018, 03:35 AM
I think I would like one product to do both but I haven't come across one that really works as well as dedicated tyre or wheel cleaners. I got some Detailers Pro Series Tyre & Rubber cleaner n bulk a while back & I have almost run out but it was/is a great tyre cleaner. As for wheels, geeze - sometimes I deal with vehicles that are so neglected that my only real option is to use an acid based cleaner & other times CarPro Iron X, Valet Pro Dragons Breath or if its a maintenance detail I often only need soap. (Reset)

Aaryn NZ. :dblthumb2:

fightnews
02-01-2018, 06:34 AM
Depends what cleaner and what you are planning to do to the tires after?

Setec Astronomy
02-01-2018, 06:37 AM
Do you guys prefer to use a cleaner that cleans both the tires and wheels, or do you like to use a specific tire cleaner on the tires and a specific wheel cleaner on the wheels?

Yes.

Ha ha...I've done it every which way. There are so many variables, whether the wheels are coated, how often they are maintained (washed), what the brake pads are like, similarly what's on the tires and how they've been driven.

howardm4
02-01-2018, 06:52 AM
Tires: definitely Tuf-Shine and their brush. This stuff is amazing
Wheels: Sonax Full Effect (since I have it) or Iron-X, rubber gloves, brushes, dedicated mitt/towels

ShinyGC
02-01-2018, 08:17 AM
I use Meguiar's Non-Acid wheel and tire cleaner. For me it eliminates having to use two different products to clean a wheel/tire. Its does an excellent job of cleaning the tires ad well as brake dust. I've been on the same gallon now for well over a year. Just make sure to follow the dilution ratios on their spray bottle and it will last a long time :xyxthumbs:

Meguiars Non-Acid Wheel and Tire Cleaner D-14301 (https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-non-acid-wheel-and-tire-cleaner-d-14301.html)

Desertnate
02-01-2018, 08:27 AM
The best wheel and tire cleaner I've used is Mothers Foaming Wheel and Tire Cleaner (https://www.autogeek.net/mo05924.html) It would clean up everything pretty well.

However, it's a little harsh for my taste, so these days I use Griots Wheel Cleaner (https://www.autogeek.net/griots-wheel-cleaner.html) for the wheels and an APC for the tires.

FUNX650
02-01-2018, 09:04 AM
I find that P21S/S100’s Wheel Cleaners
(safe on all types of wheels) doubles as
a tire cleaner.

That way, IMO: Little to no chance for any
possible cross-contamination/(damage) oc-
curring because two separate, and distinct,
cleaning products were used.

Bob

JCDetails
02-01-2018, 09:19 AM
So far Meg's Non-Acid D143 has worked very well for me, just has to be diluted stronger than recommended to really pull any grime out of the tires. A stronger dilution makes it work closer to their retail 'hot rims' offering.

I can certainly see a case for a dedicated wheel cleaner and a dedicated tire cleaner (a la megs wheel brightener and super degreaser), but for a mobile guy like me, the devil is in the number of bottles i have to carry around.

Setec Astronomy
02-01-2018, 09:32 AM
I find that P21S/S100’s Wheel Cleaners
(safe on all types of wheels) doubles as
a tire cleaner.

+1...also the Griot's Wheel Cleaner.

Mantilgh
02-01-2018, 10:11 AM
I like to try to clean the wheels, tires, and wheel wells all with the same cleaner when possible. I like to try to minimalize the the amount of products I carry.

I use LATA at around 3-4:1 and it usually works really well.

Occasionally I’ll use one of the color changing ones, and rarely I’ll use wheel acid when absolutely nesisarry.

WillSports3
02-01-2018, 11:20 AM
Optimum ferrex doubles as a tire cleaner and wheel cleaner.

Setec Astronomy
02-01-2018, 11:22 AM
Optimum ferrex doubles as a tire cleaner and wheel cleaner.

Yikes, really? I didn't remember they marketed it that way. I haven't used my Ferrex yet, but using any color-change wheel cleaner seems like an expensive tire cleaner.

WillSports3
02-01-2018, 11:27 AM
Yes, Yeah Lacroix talked about it in one of the rag company's videos where you can use it for everything on the car. Anything that dissolves iron and tar has a strong decreasing agent in it so you can use it for tires and wheels.

Setec Astronomy
02-01-2018, 12:06 PM
Yes, Yvan Lacroix talked about it in one of the rag company's videos where you can use it for everything on the car. Anything that dissolves iron and tar has a strong decreasing agent in it so you can use it for tires and wheels.

Funny how these things morph over time. I remember a discussion on the OPT forum (or maybe it was here) about whether Ferrex, that is labeled as a tar remover, is a product like Trix which has both iron-eating and solvent ingredients in it. We were told no, Ferrex has no solvents, only surfactants. There are few of us who have had much luck removing (dried on) tar with surfactants, but I guess that would certainly help for cleaning tires...but I'm not sure when Ferrex became a "strong degreasing agent".