PDA

View Full Version : Lake Country pad failure

Pages : [1] 2 3

DMW
01-30-2018, 01:42 PM
I've been using Lake Country pads since 2012. I find them to be very durable and they work great. I've mainly been using the orange and green pads. I just bought a pack of 6 and one that I got was the most aggressive (yellow) pad. The 2008 VW Passat that I had this past weekend had extremely hard paint, so I gave it a try. It worked great with M105 and my Porter Cable set to 5.5. I rarely go over 5, but this paint needed some RPM.

I noticed it feeling a tad warm after an hour or so. Then, all of a sudden, the pad flew off the backing plate. I found that the black portion of the pad separated from the rest of the pad. My guess is that the glue warmed up and just let loose.

Has anyone else had this issue? Can I just glue it back, or is there any type of warranty? This is literally the first time I used it and for about 2 hours. Like mentioned above, I still have orange pads from 5+ years ago still going strong, so I was very surprised to see this one come apart.

Setec Astronomy
01-30-2018, 01:50 PM
You used the same pad for an hour straight? Is that what you do with the orange ones?

Ronin47
01-30-2018, 01:58 PM
I’ve had all 6 of my LC flat yellow 5.5” pads delaminate on me and switched to BnS flat yellow 5.5” without a single pad failure.

Route246
01-30-2018, 02:00 PM
What is the condition of the foam surface? I've had them overheat and shred chunks but never separate. If the surface is pristine and still intact I would say this may be a defective pad.

Bruno Soares
01-30-2018, 02:10 PM
If they were being used for more than an hour I bet the pads got too hot and the glue just failed. That seems like overuse, especially at higher RPMs like you mentioned. Heat is the #1 enemy of pads.

JCDetails
01-30-2018, 02:14 PM
no glue in the world would stand up to those temperatures.

Desertnate
01-30-2018, 02:34 PM
The heat most certainly killed the pad. The trick is to rotate out your pads every couple of sections.

I have had one white LC Flat Pad separate on me and it was clearly a case of being too hot and the glue let go.

DMW
01-30-2018, 06:39 PM
I've never had the need to run my Porter Cable that high before. I couldn't believe how loud it got after going past a setting of 5. I normally swap out the orange ones after a few panels, but I only have the one yellow and it was doing such a great job of the swirls, that I kept at it.

I already received a PM from a rep at Lake Country offering to replace it for free. Talk about going above and beyond.

DetailDrivenEugene
01-30-2018, 06:42 PM
I have had a couple of yellow ccs pads seperate recently. I planned on asking about them next time I order. I have about a dozen yellow, and use a new one for every panel, so heat wasn’t the issue with mine.

Mantilgh
01-30-2018, 08:39 PM
I’ve destroyed a few of the yellow LC Flat pads with my Deutto running them a top speed and over using them when I first started machine polishing.

Mostly sunken centers and one started to delaminate. Definitely user error on my part being inexperienced and pushing them to far, although it does seem to have only happened to the yellow ones.

My white and orange ones have held up well. I really like the orange ones, they are great for one steps with an AIO.

Calendyr
01-30-2018, 08:49 PM
I had the same issue today. I ran out of microfiber cutting pads (my Rupes 21 kills microfiber pads in 2 to 3 sessions) so I decided to use LC Blue Cutting Pro pads. I use 2 pads per session. I do one pannel, clean the pad with my pad washer and switch to the other pad for the next pannel then repeat....

So 2 new pads, never used. One completelly delaminated and the velcro got ripped off the foam conpletelly and the other one got thrown off the DA while I was working, flew across the room and got damaged on what ever it hit.

The orange pads i ordered at the same time last year never had this problem... so it seems like the blue pads have some kind of issue.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

JCDetails
01-31-2018, 11:42 AM
I had the same issue today. I ran out of microfiber cutting pads (my Rupes 21 kills microfiber pads in 2 to 3 sessions) so I decided to use LC Blue Cutting Pro pads. I use 2 pads per session. I do one pannel, clean the pad with my pad washer and switch to the other pad for the next pannel then repeat....

So 2 new pads, never used. One completelly delaminated and the velcro got ripped off the foam conpletelly and the other one got thrown off the DA while I was working, flew across the room and got damaged on what ever it hit.

The orange pads i ordered at the same time last year never had this problem... so it seems like the blue pads have some kind of issue.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

What solution is in your pad washer?

I imagine the different structure of the more abrasive foam makes it harder to stick things to it.

Calendyr
01-31-2018, 01:40 PM
Just water. During the detail, I don't use cleaners in the water. Once the detail is done, I soak the pads using McKee's 37 pad rejuvenator for a few mins then then them in the pad washer only using water again.

DMW
01-31-2018, 02:35 PM
Mine flew off the DA as well and scared me at first.

fightnews
01-31-2018, 03:54 PM
I've been using Lake Country pads since 2012. I find them to be very durable and they work great. I've mainly been using the orange and green pads. I just bought a pack of 6 and one that I got was the most aggressive (yellow) pad. The 2008 VW Passat that I had this past weekend had extremely hard paint, so I gave it a try. It worked great with M105 and my Porter Cable set to 5.5. I rarely go over 5, but this paint needed some RPM.

I noticed it feeling a tad warm after an hour or so. Then, all of a sudden, the pad flew off the backing plate. I found that the black portion of the pad separated from the rest of the pad. My guess is that the glue warmed up and just let loose.

Has anyone else had this issue? Can I just glue it back, or is there any type of warranty? This is literally the first time I used it and for about 2 hours. Like mentioned above, I still have orange pads from 5+ years ago still going strong, so I was very surprised to see this one come apart.

It got a "tad" warm? You can't use 1 pad for 2 hours dude. That's pure user error right there. You should buy and read The complete guide to a showcar shine by Mike Phillips. I think it would be perfect for you