PDA

View Full Version : Towel holograms from compound removal?

BryanH
01-29-2018, 01:56 PM
I've never seen this before. When the light hits the paint in the right way I see a hologram effect. I'm using a DA.

Given how easily the swirls and haze came out of the paint, I suspect it's on the soft side and my theory is wiping the compound off the car is causing these subtle marks. Or maybe it's trace amounts of smeared compound left behind? I tend to think that's less likely. Weather has been good for detailing here - about 55-65 degrees.

Short video clip: https://photos.app.goo.gl/gryPWfRN6hKfNnDw1 [Ignore the dust accumulation, I had come back to this after a day or two]

After the final polish, perhaps I'll use something to help lubricate the paint and aid in using less pressure for wiping away the polish residue. What's best to use for this? QD? ONR at waterless dilution? CarPro Eraser and save a step? (I plan to use Eraser before applying WDGPS 3.0 anyway)

BudgetPlan1
01-29-2018, 02:22 PM
Kinda looks like possibly faint polish residue. If you wipe with towel side-to-side and look at with pen light and then wipe up and down and look with pen light do the reflections (kinda starburst pattern) change direction/axis at all?

BryanH
01-29-2018, 02:45 PM
I didn't notice it with the garage lighting or inspection lighting. I noticed it in the morning when I opened the garage door and the low sun shone in.

Maybe I'll do a test spot with Eraser and see if it goes away in that spot tomorrow morning.

Mantilgh
01-29-2018, 03:18 PM
Try Eraser and see what happens. I prefer to use a waterless or rinseless wash at a stronger ratio, but have never used Eraser.

If it is soft paint, the pad and/or the polish could also be leaving a light marring/haze.

What pad and polish are you finishing with?

FUNX650
01-29-2018, 03:47 PM
I've never seen this before.
When the light hits the paint in the
right way I see a hologram effect.

I'm using a DA.

RE: Towel holograms...

•Normally, paint holograms are caused
by the “action” of a Rotary polisher.

-However, nowadays, with all of the
ongoing scientific nano-tech research,
I’ve found it best not to discount any
new findings.

•In fact:
-One of the latest discoveries/creations
is a hologram that has been aptly named:
Volumetric Image:

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/77DD3F65-628D-4CCA-9EDF-E68B5465BBA7.jpeg

(I plan to use Eraser before applying
WDGPS 3.0 anyway)
•Since WDGPS 3.0 doesn’t call for the
paint to be “squeaky clean” before
it’s applied...I consider this step as:
“working backwards”(<—M.P.)

Bob

BryanH
01-30-2018, 02:36 AM
If it is soft paint, the pad and/or the polish could also be leaving a light marring/haze.

What pad and polish are you finishing with?

What you see in the video is after Griots FCC with a Griots white pad. It does leave a slight haze in the paint - a test spot with a final polish revealed some extra clarity and darkness. I've seen plenty of compound haze in my time with M105 and the holograms I saw yesterday don't remind me of that.

I do plan to do a final polish when I can make the time for it, using M205 and a Megs yellow pad, which is a go-to final step for me. This is possibly the softest paint I've worked with, so perhaps I'd get better results with a black finishing pad?

•Since WDGPS 3.0 doesn’t call for the
paint to be “squeaky clean” before
it’s applied...I consider this step as:
“working backwards”(<—M.P.)

That's interesting. I always understood it to be good practice to get polish oils off the surface before applying any wax or sealant. Except in cases of synergistic design, as with Optimum products.

mbzhp
01-30-2018, 09:47 PM
I've had this happen to me as well and always assumed it was from removing the residue. Now I lubricate and haven't noticed it since.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

barrybudden
01-31-2018, 04:35 PM
Get some panel wipe from gtechniq or gyeon and wipe it down after you have polished. The compound will contain fillers so uless you have removed the you are not going to see what's underneath.

WRAPT C5Z06
02-01-2018, 07:59 AM
Get some panel wipe from gtechniq or gyeon and wipe it down after you have polished. The compound will contain fillers so uless you have removed the you are not going to see what's underneath.
This is true. I find Gtech panel wipe to be too strong on some paints and cause marring upon wipe off. Gyeon prep, optimum paint prep, or carpro eraser are good options.