PDA

View Full Version : Help guys what coating!

Chase361
01-29-2018, 10:55 AM
Hey guys just got a new GTI SE in bright white and I’m going to do decon and pinnacle advanced finishing polish on my porter cable to remove any light swirls in the paint but I can’t decide on what coating to get ! It’s between cquarts uk, Wolfgang Uber, optimum gloss coat or GYEON q2 mohs! I’ve only ever used pinnacle black Label V1connection and v2 coatings but I’m feeling like I’m wanting something more. I can’t decide help !

Swirlophobia
01-29-2018, 11:00 AM
I would go with cquarts uk or sonax cc36, cquarts is one of the most used ceramic coatings out there and sonax cc36 has lots of german engineering behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

The Guz
01-29-2018, 12:35 PM
Either of those options would be a good choice. I have not used uber but it's application resembles gloss coat.

Gloss Coat and Mohs are user friendly and easy to apply. CQUK has a slight learning curve but after a panel or two one becomes familiar with it. CQUK does perform better than Gloss Coat.

Have you considered any of the new Gyeon offerings in One, Pure or Syncro?

Forgot to mention that Gliss on top of CQUK would be another option.

BudgetPlan1
01-29-2018, 12:36 PM
Gyeon Mohs or if you want a bit more longevity, durability and gloss (in addition to one heck of a slick surface), Gyeon Syncro which has a Mohs base with a silcone based top-coat called Skin. Mohs by itself is a very solid choice, adding Skin on top (Syncro) will beef up longevity, hydrophobic behavior, self-cleaning.

Specific characteristics of Skin, take from Gyeon USA Rep:
Q² Skin
-is a silicone-based top coat
-designed to be used on top of Q² Mohs
-builds a layer on top of Q² Mohs and doesn't react like Q² Bead
-repellency: very hydrophobic, repels water instantly
-slickness: beyond anything else!
-resistance: full chemical resistance
-gloss: similar to Q² Mohs+, so very, very glossy!

Although I have never tried Sonax CC36 I believe they want you to top with PNS for added longevity. Have never tried Cquartz UK either but Cquartz TiO2 (or Classic) was a solid, if unremarkable, choice for me when I tested it. Dunno about Cquartz UK but CQuartz itself is definitely something you wanna top with Reload or similar as it was not very slick at all after application. UK may be different though.

zmcgovern45
01-29-2018, 12:38 PM
Of the ones you had mentioned, I would go with Gyeon Mohs.

Chase361
01-29-2018, 01:07 PM
Thx for all the input guys. I have been watching a lot of YouTube vids on GYEON I like their entire line but idk how there other products are.

BudgetPlan1
01-29-2018, 01:24 PM
For what it's worth, IMO WG Uber Ceramic is a bit overpriced and under-performing, especially in harsh, winter climates.

jmorlan
02-24-2018, 02:43 PM
Just the thread I've been looking for.
I have gloss coat, that I bought to coat my 2 trucks with. But I picked up a new Mercedes, and have inherited my gf's new wrangler to coat.

It seems the gyeon get more bang for the buck in ML terms, or the new c9 cooating from CG. It seems the opti gloss coat was the no brainer when I picked it up. But what's out there now for sickness, longevity and gloss?
If not I'll just order more gloss coat

Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MattPersman
02-24-2018, 03:08 PM
Probably need a two step process for maximum slickness. Most of the normal coatings are not a slick feeling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BudgetPlan1
02-24-2018, 03:30 PM
I have gloss coat, that I bought to coat my 2 trucks with. But I picked up a new Mercedes, and have inherited my gf's new wrangler to coat.

It seems the gyeon get more bang for the buck in ML terms, or the new c9 cooating from CG. It seems the opti gloss coat was the no brainer when I picked it up. But what's out there now for sickness, longevity and gloss?

Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-N950U using TapatalkPm sent.

The Guz
02-24-2018, 10:09 PM
Although I have never tried Sonax CC36 I believe they want you to top with PNS for added longevity.

Sonax doesn't want one to top their coating. It is more of a recommendation. What I mean by that is that Sonax claims this to be a 1 year coating and if someone wants to extend the life then Sonax Polymer Net Shield would be the product to go with as both it and the coating share similar chemistry. Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer is their other recommendation. From personal experience BSD works pretty well with CC36.

Sonax's philosophy is that they designed this product with the professional detailer in mind to get their clients to come back for a coating refresh 1 year later. As it adds more money in the pocket of the professional compared to offering a multi-year coating where the customer may or may not come back.

Thanks guys.

I have seen some complain about the performance of the C9 coating and it's lack of water behavior. Gloss Coat is easy to apply. As mentioned most coatings are on the grabby side in terms of tactile feel. Optimum claims a 2 year longevity for Gloss Coat. From personal experience it was roughly 1 year and Gloss Coat was having issues. That is just my personal experience. Give it a go and see if you like it or pick up a couple different coatings and compare them to see which suits your needs.

Probably need a two step process for maximum slickness. Most of the normal coatings are not a slick feeling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. The top coats tend to add more slickness compared to the base layer.

BudgetPlan1
02-25-2018, 01:12 AM
Sonax doesn't want one to top their coating. It is more of a recommendation. What I mean by that is that Sonax claims this to be a 1 year coating and if someone wants to extend the life then Sonax Polymer Net Shield would be the product to go with as both it and the coating share similar chemistry. Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer is their other recommendation. From personal experience BSD works pretty well with CC36.

Sonax's philosophy is that they designed this product with the professional detailer in mind to get their clients to come back for a coating refresh 1 year later. As it adds more money in the pocket of the professional compared to offering a multi-year coating where the customer may or may not come back.

That's very interesting; thanks for the info.

jmorlan
02-25-2018, 01:49 AM
So what is the difference between these Coatings that come from a syringe, a spray bottle, or a bottle and dropper.
And what explains some of the price swings. The syringe type like gloss coat and uber are considerably more.
Then you have the bottle and dropper style like cquartz, which are in the middle prove range.
Then spray bottle like pinnacle coating offering 4oz as compared to 10-30ml

tpr1634
02-25-2018, 05:07 AM
I use the combo of opti gloss coat with McKees hydro blue as a maintenance product every 4 to 6 six weeks with nice results on a tuxedo black F 150.

jmorlan
02-26-2018, 11:47 AM
I went ahead and grabbed a 50ml of cquartz uk.
We'll see how it goes