PDA

View Full Version : Mckees 37 tire coating? Multiple coats?

fightnews
01-28-2018, 06:54 AM
I did all the prep work last night but I was only able to get 1 coat on. I always do at least 2-3. The car hasn't moved since last night. Is it Ok to apply a 2nd and 3rd coat over the first coat that's had 15 hours or so to fully dry? Should I hit it with some n914 first?

SWETM
01-28-2018, 09:16 AM
I just read the description of McKees tire coating. And if you want more gloss you can apply up to 4 layers but the longevity would not be different just the shine and gloss. If you want more gloss and it's clean as you have not driven it I would apply as many coats until I got the gloss I desired. Just wait 30min between layers. Don't think a wipe down with N-914 would hurt the first coat as it seems to Bond and cure fast. If you see any dust or something else on it. Is it clean I without looking to close to it I would apply it directly.

Please do an update on the longevity of this tire coating after a while. It's hard to find durable tire coating and dressings.

howardm4
01-28-2018, 09:31 AM
Try some GTechniq T1 dressing.

Klasse Act
01-28-2018, 09:59 AM
Lots of great tire coatings out there!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FUNX650
01-28-2018, 11:20 AM
I did all the prep work last night but I
was only able to get 1 coat on. I always
do at least 2-3.

The car hasn't moved since last night.
Is it Ok to apply a 2nd and 3rd coat
over the first coat that's had 15 hours
or so to fully dry? Should I hit it with
some n914 first?

IMO:
•If the Coated tires got dirty enough—while
sitting in the same spot, overnight—to where
they need to be washed down with some
N-914 before further applications of this tire
Coating can be administered...

-then I imagine that the rest of the car
must have accumulated a similar amount
of uncleanliness: Time to get cracking!

Bob

vincec
01-28-2018, 12:42 PM
I've been using McKee's Tire Coating for over 2 years now and frequently get 3 months or more longevity before needing to scrub the tires down with McKee's 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator and re-apply (2) coats. The key to using this coating is that the tires must be absolutely free of previous tire dressings before applying the initial application.

fightnews
01-28-2018, 04:42 PM
IMO:
•If the Coated tires got dirty enough—while
sitting in the same spot, overnight—to where
they need to be washed down with some
N-914 before further applications of this tire
Coating can be administered...

-then I imagine that the rest of the car
must have accumulated a similar amount
of uncleanliness: Time to get cracking!

Bob

Not to far off lol

fightnews
01-28-2018, 04:44 PM
I've been using McKee's Tire Coating for over 2 years now and frequently get 3 months or more longevity before needing to scrub the tires down with McKee's 37 Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator and re-apply (2) coats. The key to using this coating is that the tires must be absolutely free of previous tire dressings before applying the initial application.

I've also been using it for a while. The first coat is already on and cured. Now I need to tweak my original question. Can I do a 2nd coat next weekend after washing with soap and water

Klasse Act
01-28-2018, 05:02 PM
Absolutely...go for it!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

fightnews
01-28-2018, 05:02 PM
How about if I do the second coat tomorrow after work. The car will have been driven by then maybe I could just do the wipe down and recoat?

So I used the recommended application brush. This time I also used a detailing brush with the wood handle to help spread it out. It came out great. Better then all the other times Ive used it.

The Guz
01-28-2018, 05:16 PM
Get yourself a metro vac side kick. Will cut your drying/curing time down by a lot. Then you can add multiple coats within a short period of time.

To answer your question give it a good wipe down prior to adding another coat if you are driving it.

FUNX650
01-28-2018, 05:52 PM
How about if I do the second coat
tomorrow after work. The car will
have been driven by then

maybe I could just do the wipe
down and recoat?

So I used the recommended application
brush. This time I also used a detailing
brush with the wood handle to help
spread it out.

It came out great. Better then all
the other times Ive used it.
•If that is the case; then, IMO:
-I really don’t see why the tires need
more than the one coat. Why not just
go ahead and enjoy your handiwork?

-The time to “renew” the Coating
will come soon enough.

Bob

fightnews
01-29-2018, 05:57 AM
•If that is the case; then, IMO:
-I really don’t see why the tires need
more than the one coat. Why not just
go ahead and enjoy your handiwork?

-The time to “renew” the Coating
will come soon enough.

Bob

This is true but I think the 2nd coat will add to it. I just think applying with the detailing brush made a big difference. It got me in all the tight spots and crevices

vincec
01-30-2018, 07:47 PM
I've also been using it for a while. The first coat is already on and cured. Now I need to tweak my original question. Can I do a 2nd coat next weekend after washing with soap and water

The last time I scrubbed down the tires with Tire & Rubber Rejuvenator was the end of October. I applied a single coat after cleaning with soap and water and allowing the tires to dry. They still look great.