PDA

View Full Version : Repainted hood quality compared to oem?

Pages : [1] 2

fightnews
01-25-2018, 07:00 AM
I have a chance to get my hood repainted in a couple weeks for 500. I'm wondering if it will look showroom new when done assuming the guy does decent quality work.

It's not in too bad shape to a normal person it just has a lot of stone chips and little pits when you look close. It is Oem now. If I get the respray does the value automatically go down?

I figure if I have him respray he can go heavy on the clear then I can sand and buff to perfection?

FUNX650
01-25-2018, 10:01 AM
I have a chance to get my hood repainted
in a couple weeks for 500. I'm wondering
if it will look showroom new when done
assuming the guy does decent quality work.

It's not in too bad shape to a normal person
it just has a lot of stone chips and little pits
when you look close.

It is Oem now. If I get the respray does
the value automatically go down?

I figure if I have him respray he can go
heavy on the clear then I can sand and
buff to perfection?
•Diminished Value?
-I’m not sure if this re-spray/repair can be
categorized as such; it’s being done mostly
as a cosmetic procedure...not because it
incurred damage(s) from being in an accident.

Quality work:
•I’ll try my best to paraphrase what I’ve
seen Mike Phillips post before:
-‘The quality of the paint job hinges on the
guy that does the “cut & buff”.’

-As such:
I personally wouldn’t accept, and sign-off on
the re-spray, if it wasn’t “cut & buffed” to show-
room new condition—(that’s an integral part
of the overall paint job that I’m paying for).

•Then again:
-I keep in mind that the lighting in most
Showrooms isn’t intended to perform as
“swirl finders”.

Bob

RaskyR1
01-25-2018, 12:48 PM
$500 seems a bit low IMO but as long as the painter is properly prepping and sanding out the pits/chips, is using quality paint and materials, AND he know's what he's doing. It should look as good as the OEM paint.

Keep in mind it may need some wet sanding for texture match and denibbing of dust specs. If so it will almost certainly require someone else "you" to properly finish the paint as Bob noted above.

Is it a reputable shop doing the work or some friend in his garage?

I would also be concerned about color match to the adjacent panels. What color is the vehicle?

fightnews
01-25-2018, 03:22 PM
•Diminished Value?
-I’m not sure if this re-spray/repair can be
categorized as such; it’s being done mostly
as a cosmetic procedure...not because it
incurred damage(s) from being in an accident.

Quality work:
•I’ll try my best to paraphrase what I’ve
seen Mike Phillips post before:
-‘The quality of the paint job hinges on the
guy that does the “cut & buff”.’

-As such:
I personally wouldn’t accept, and sign-off on
the re-spray, if it wasn’t “cut & buffed” to show-
room new condition—(that’s an integral part
of the overall paint job that I’m paying for).

•Then again:
-I keep in mind that the lighting in most
Showrooms isn’t intended to perform as
“swirl finders”.

Bob

I figure if its not perfect I can do a cut and buff myself? Maybe ask the guy to use extra clear coat?

The car is going in for a new bumper and that will be painted so I could hold off and see how that comes out before I do the hood

fightnews
01-25-2018, 03:27 PM
$500 seems a bit low IMO but as long as the painter is properly prepping and sanding out the pits/chips, is using quality paint and materials, AND he know's what he's doing. It should look as good as the OEM paint.

Keep in mind it may need some wet sanding for texture match and denibbing of dust specs. If so it will almost certainly require someone else "you" to properly finish the paint as Bob noted above.

Is it a reputable shop doing the work or some friend in his garage?

I would also be concerned about color match to the adjacent panels. What color is the vehicle?
That is on the quote for the new bumper. The car is black so hopefully it will be easier to match. He is using all oem parts on the bumper by request so Hopefully he got the oem paint.

The shop has good reviews online but I picked it randomly. It's the first time I'm having any work done. They have been in business a long time but the shop is kinda dumpy looking. I guess that doesn't mean they do good work though. I feel good about it though. I could wait to see how the bumper comes out.

WillSports3
01-25-2018, 07:12 PM
The difficult part and you won't know for a while is if they let the colour coat cure for long enough before they lay on the clear coat. A friend of mine had the clearcoat on his roof rushed a few years ago from ice storm repairs. Now, there's obvious signs of the roof needing to be completely resanded and repainted with clearcoat. But it never showed up until two or three years later.

fightnews
01-26-2018, 05:51 AM
The difficult part and you won't know for a while is if they let the colour coat cure for long enough before they lay on the clear coat. A friend of mine had the clearcoat on his roof rushed a few years ago from ice storm repairs. Now, there's obvious signs of the roof needing to be completely resanded and repainted with clearcoat. But it never showed up until two or three years later.

That sucks, the guy says he needs the car for 5 days so I doubt he's rushing. Hopefully they have a curing lamp or whatever

MattPersman
01-26-2018, 06:23 AM
Do you know what paint the oem robot used at the plant? I doubt the painter does either he is just going to use the paint brand he uses everyday on every car. Could be between two companies. But most shops use one like sherwin Williams or ppg etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUNX650
01-26-2018, 07:37 AM
I have a chance to get my hood
repainted in a couple weeks for 500.

$500 seems a bit low IMO...

That is on the quote for the new bumper.

!(*´∀`*)尸

Bob

fightnews
01-26-2018, 09:42 AM
!(*´∀`*)尸

Bob

It's going in for a new bumper which will be painted. I can do the hood too if I want

Eldorado2k
01-26-2018, 10:18 AM
That sucks, the guy says he needs the car for 5 days so I doubt he's rushing. Hopefully they have a curing lamp or whatever

5 days is nothing... Body shop once kept my car for 2 months to re paint and install the front bumper, hood, + 2 fenders from a donor car that I provided to them. Those dudes take a long time for everything.

RaskyR1
01-26-2018, 12:33 PM
Do you know what paint the oem robot used at the plant? I doubt the painter does either he is just going to use the paint brand he uses everyday on every car. Could be between two companies. But most shops use one like sherwin Williams or ppg etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The paint used at the OEM is totally different then what body shops use.

RaskyR1
01-26-2018, 12:36 PM
5 days is nothing... Body shop once kept my car for 2 months to re paint and install the front bumper, hood, + 2 fenders from a donor car that I provided to them. Those dudes take a long time for everything.

3-5 days is about right assuming the parts are at the shop. I had my bumper replaced, painted, and vehicle back the next day, but that was through my old mans shop.

2 months is ridiculous if they have all the parts so I would assume that wasn't an insurance job?

Gillyz
01-26-2018, 09:50 PM
All the shop needs is the paint code that’s on the car. They’ll know where to look if they know what they are doing. It doesn’t have to be the same paint brand as long as they are using a quality brand. The reason they are only doing it for $500, is because it won’t be that much more work when they are doing the bumper. If you do the hood separate from the bumper, the price will go up I’m sure.

The price of the car isn’t going to drop if it’s a newer car unless it’s something exotic, but since the bumpers being replaced and resprayed, it’d devalue for that anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Eldorado2k
01-26-2018, 10:53 PM
3-5 days is about right assuming the parts are at the shop. I had my bumper replaced, painted, and vehicle back the next day, but that was through my old mans shop.

2 months is ridiculous if they have all the parts so I would assume that wasn't an insurance job?

Correct, it wasn’t an insurance job but instead out of pocket and it wasn’t cheap, even after I was able to knock $700 off their original estimate.. 2 months and it actually worked out great as I had another vehicle to drive + When they finally called me I actually ended up needing an extra 3 days to come up with all the cash.

In the end they did a fantastic job matching the Cadillac pearl white paint. I was impressed as was everyone I showed it to.

Here’s a picture of the donor car [top] and a couple of pictures of the recipient and the last Eldorado I owned.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180127/e96edf6d74874e15749732498184f906.jpg