PDA

View Full Version : HVAC experts need help ?

hmardown
01-23-2018, 07:10 PM
trying to decide which horizontal hot water unit to go with. I'm coming off my oil boiler with one of these units. it's a straight shot from the boiler through the wall to my garage
(maybe10 to 12' away). unit is a modine either HC 47,000 btu or a HC 63,000 btu unit. I understand the btu #'s are going in & actually comes out to 21,100 or 37,900 coming out
(hope this makes sense & that's with 200* water). I live in NY area(hudson valley) so we do have some nasty winters. I've never seen the garage go below 34* & that was when it was
9* below(last week in fact). it's a two car garage. I have two insulated garage doors, one front wall insulated on the basement side, one wall half concrete & half insulated with a window and one wall all concrete with 75% of it back filled with dirt in front of house. ceiling is 9' high insulated & closed in with sheet-rock. the square footage is 720 sq.'. most the time with temps outside in 30- 35* range the garage is around 42 ish*. my goal is to be able to work in the garage with a shirt on. I'm not looking to maintain a steady 65* temp but want it to be 65* while I'm in the garage. I just want to turn the heat on wait till the garage heats up & go downstairs(maybe a 1/2 hr. warm up time). when I'm done I'll turn heat off. the boiler is plenty big enough so that's not an issue. I heat house with wood stove so boiler has light duty unless it's below 20*. the units I'm looking at are
Modine HC - 47,000 BTU - Hot Water/Steam Unit Heater or
Modine HC - 63,000 BTU - Hot Water/Steam Unit Heater.
my installer has some free time & I'm looking to pull the plug tomorrow. any help would be appreciated. I'm just concerned that the 63,000 unit is to much. causing it to fast cycle on & off.
thank you, Carlo

ps. have a neighbor with the 63,000 btu unit & a 4 car garage under house & it seems to be plenty big enough for His garage. but when I talk to the supply places they want me to go with the same unit 63,000.

Setec Astronomy
01-23-2018, 09:58 PM
Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but when you're talking BTU in vs. BTU out, that's for a space heater, and takes into account the efficiency of the combustion...you're just talking about a hot water coil, I don't know how you're losing 25% of your input with that.

You say "my installer has some free time"...he has no opinion on the sizing of the unit? Honestly if Modine doesn't have a sizing calculator on their website then there is one out there somewhere...and I doubt the supply houses are pulling the sizing out of their rear end, they for sure have access to a sizing calculator as a distributor. Or you can do it the old fashioned way and go to the library and find a reference book.

One of these days (...decades?) I'm going to get a mini-split for my garage...but I'll let the installer size it.

hmardown
01-24-2018, 07:45 AM
yeah He has an opinion going let me know today. if i look at the modine site it shows those numbers 47,000 = 21,100 & 63,000 = 37,900 and that's for water coming in at 200*.
I believe steam btu's come out higher. I'll make my decision today after a little more research. thanks
hmardown

Setec Astronomy
01-24-2018, 07:56 AM
Didn't you find a calculator where you can put in the size of the space, the insulation factors of the walls, etc.?

I mean here's one I found real quick: How to Find the Right Size Garage Heater (http://www.newair.com/kb/how-to-find-the-right-size-garage-heater/)

I'm presuming you're looking at a fan coil that will have a zone valve attached, and the thermostat will hit a relay that will open the zone valve and start the fan? So the only downside to oversizing is cost and taking up space in your garage. I'd err on the size of a larger one if you want to warm up from 34 to shirt sleeve temp in a half hour.

hmardown
01-24-2018, 11:15 AM
yes I did find that chart. I've ordered my unit & I'm all set. can't wait to get everything connected. I'll post back after the heats on. thanks
hmardown

here's a link to the unit.

https://www.ecomfort.com/Modine-HSB63S01/p48476.html?utm_term=4847648476&var1=ecomfortusa&var2=adwordsfroogle&var3=1439&keyword=GOOGLEPLA-1439&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtJbTBRDkARIsAIA0a5M196pbWvF6E5Von-PBK0mwTh3N_hgBd7Ne2JjUaH2wU1lOyYtl-OAaAvm4EALw_wcB