PDA

View Full Version : Coatings Not Needed On Modern Clear Coat Paints?

Pages : [1] 2

Ronin47
01-23-2018, 04:02 PM
Interesting video, watch to the end:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uw3eO1rI6Eo

FUNX650
01-23-2018, 05:27 PM
Interesting video, watch to the end:

Yeh—we’ll get right on that...

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/2E3C8738-A8F8-4924-A6F8-6475F5818399.jpeg

Bob

BudgetPlan1
01-23-2018, 05:28 PM
"Rock hard clearcoat..." Guy has obviously never owned a black Subaru.

Self-aggrandizing wobbly sausage, methinks.

Ronin47
01-23-2018, 05:32 PM
Devils advocate here, his right on the money when he says the clear is harder than whatever anyone puts ontop.

ChrisT
01-23-2018, 06:05 PM
Dude is obsessed with boobs. (But, hey, who isn’t?)

BudgetPlan1
01-23-2018, 06:10 PM
Devils advocate here, his right on the money when he says the clear is harder than whatever anyone puts ontop.But what about the 10h coatings? That stuff is hard as diamonds, no? It can't be just marketing cuz I read it on the Interwebs!

TMQ
01-23-2018, 09:40 PM
That's a funny and creative video!

I think he has a point...

Need to think that one through...

Tom

Desertnate
01-24-2018, 08:55 AM
Devils advocate here, his right on the money when he says the clear is harder than whatever anyone puts ontop.

I'm with BudgetPlan1. While some clear coats are quite hard like my VW's, Toyota, Honda, and Subaru clear coats are REALLY soft and even a "consumer grade" coating like McKee's 37 is probably harder. I've experienced this personally. The clear coat on my wife's Toyota is so soft it can be marred when doing a swipe with your finger.

Ronin47
01-24-2018, 09:05 AM
I’m not advocating the video, it just leaves room for thought and an open discussion. I personally am an LSP junkie with shelves of waxes,sealants and coatings.

Setec Astronomy
01-24-2018, 09:09 AM
I'll admit to having skipped some of the video, but I thought the point was not how hard your clear is, but don't pay the dealer for those upsells.

Not like that video will really have much impact...those car dealers have their audience eating out of the palm of their hand!

Me: You got a new car?
Coworker: Yeah
Next day car's not there
Me: What happened to your new car
Coworker: It's at the dealer for the interior and paint protection
Me: Oh no you didn't buy that...how much did it cost?
Coworker: It was free!
Me: No it wasn't....
Coworker (angry): Yes it was!!!
Me: Yeah, it was free because you paid $800 more than you should have for the car
Coworker: But it was super-fantastic-harder-than-diamonds-infused-with-viagara coating!
Me: oh, ok, that sounds worth it then

Desertnate
01-24-2018, 09:15 AM
Even worse than that scenario are the dealerships who put that stuff on all their vehicles upon delivery. The customers don't even get a say and it makes it even harder to negotiate a price.

Setec Astronomy
01-24-2018, 09:44 AM
Even worse than that scenario are the dealerships who put that stuff on all their vehicles upon delivery. The customers don't even get a say and it makes it even harder to negotiate a price.

But that way they are protected on the lot!! That's way better than the plastic they put on at the factory.

Mike Phillips
01-24-2018, 09:53 AM
Just to chime in....

I have not watched the video, no time right now but I will just add that waxes, sealants and coatings are basically sacrificial barriers to "help" prevent damage.

Also, a smooth surface will resist degradation better and longer than a textured or scratches/swirled surface. Paint is going to become worn so to restore an optimal surface (a smooth surface), will require polishing and then couldn't hurt to add a sacrificial barrier.

Plus.... for "Car People", (and not everyone is a car person), we like our rides to look good and good looks come from polishing and waxing/sealing/coating.

FWIW

I'll try to watch the video when I return from the salvage yard.

:)

JMak97008
01-24-2018, 12:23 PM
I wonder what that sacrificial barrier does? I've noticed that no matter what lsp I apply I get nice water beading, but, that layer doesn't prevent road film from sitting on the paint after driving in the rain, for example. I don't notice that it's easier to remove bug splatter (without a lsp so long as I get to the splatter, it comes off easily). I'm still trying to learn why I'm applying waxes, sealants, and coating for anything other than pure aesthetics and that really only applies when the car is clean and that goes away after the first rain anyway. Of course, I only have two daily drivers that I do this work on, so I could be missing a whole lot of information and experience...

JMak97008
01-24-2018, 12:30 PM
On the other hand, that vid did lead me to - Trimbrite Bodyguard Paint Protection Film at Cabela's. Stuff looks interesting and is a physical barrier. I wonder how hard it is to remove the stuff...