PDA

View Full Version : What can cause very fine micromarring/buffer trails?

purplenurple
01-27-2008, 03:27 PM
Last month I decided to polish a fender on my GTO to test out the PC, and got some micromarring. I was using the PC with a white pad w/1Z High gloss polish on speed 5-6. I really dont know what could have caused the very, very, very fine swirls that were only visible in direct sunlight. Maybe I was trying to work too big of an area? Not enough product (quarter size blob, about 3 or 4 quarters tall)? Dry buffing? ONR QD on Pad? Too fast a speed for the soft-ish clear? Not working the polish in enough? (usually did one pass on 5-6 and then the polish would be almost completely dry and then a pass at 3-4.

Thanks for any suggestions...

ScottB
01-27-2008, 05:05 PM
some polishes just dont finish down well enough on there own. Thus the need for a lighter finishing polish and lighter pad. It sounds like this could be your culprit.

sparkie
01-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Dirty pad, or dry product on your pad..

purplenurple
01-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Ok, thanks guys.
Killr - The White pad and the high-gloss polish are as light as anything. Maybe I wasnt using enough pressure....

How do you guys wash your pads, BTW? I just use an old toothbrush and dawn...

Rsurfer
01-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Ok, thanks guys.
Killr - The White pad and the high-gloss polish are as light as anything. Maybe I wasnt using enough pressure....

How do you guys wash your pads, BTW? I just use an old toothbrush and dawn...Try Dawn Power Dissolver.

blk45
01-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Try Dawn Power Dissolver.

+1

lethalxls1
01-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Try priming the pad with a few sprays of Distilled water before putting the polish on it. Sometimes a few sprays are needed on the pad once the polish has been worked a little bit to extend the working time of the polish.

Smokindiesel
01-31-2008, 07:08 PM
Cant you also use QD to mist the pad before use?

AjNavo61490
02-01-2008, 07:21 AM
dry buff, dirty pad, polish not breaking down

all of these i thought of when reading the post and all were answered!

haha i guess its process of elimination now, huh? :)

new finishing polish: Menz 106ff = <3