PDA

View Full Version : Coating on top of coating crazyness

Mgavin1985
01-22-2018, 11:54 AM
I have a car to do and the request is for all prep, then crystal serum light followed a coat by GlossCoat. The reason being is the client wants hardness of CSL but doesn't like the fading in beading and want to top CSL with glosscoat. Has anyone done this or something similar with a base coat and then topped with Gloss Coat. I am aware of gloss coat being SiC based instead of SiO2. Also should a wait longer than 2 hours of cure time for CSL. I don't really think CSL has a fade I think it has different characteristics. The person does not want to do evo because they already have CSL and Glosscoat

Mgavin1985
01-22-2018, 12:06 PM
also forgot to add CSL and Gloss coat were already purchased by the person so that is why EVO not used

Mike Phillips
01-22-2018, 12:15 PM
Interesting....

Since the owner has already purchased the products, it makes me think "they" have already done the research.

Why buy products with different chemistry from different companies without first doing the research?

Do they want you to do the research? If so, time is money. Of course it's nice to be nice but back to the main point, if they have already paid for the products, one would assume they already did the research.

Take the job and apply as each product directs but don't take the responsibility for the performance of co-mingling products.

:dunno:

DBAILEY
01-22-2018, 12:16 PM
Seems like a strange combo. Sounds like a total crap shoot on what the results would be over time. Either way sounds a bad idea but at first thought I would be inclined to put GlossCoat first then CSL on top. They are both a 'base' coating.

Ronin47
01-22-2018, 12:19 PM
Isn’t CSL better than Gloss Coat in well uhmm...everything?

Mgavin1985
01-22-2018, 02:06 PM
We had about 15 conversation already and he wants to watch me do it. Does any one think I should put the gloss coat on first?

The Guz
01-22-2018, 02:18 PM
I would use CSL as a base layer. I suspect that Gloss Coat won't bond to CSL or even last that long. Seems like a waste of product. Exo V3 would have been a better choice or even C2V3 to stay within the GTechniq family. You could always suggest using gloss coat for the wheels instead.

FUNX650
01-22-2018, 02:46 PM
CSL and Gloss coat were already
purchased by the person

he wants to watch me do it.

•IMO:
-If you guys have already agreed to
the price that you’re going to be paid
for doing this type/(his idea) of a de-
tailing project...then full speed ahead!

-It will probably be the last time you’ll
be buttonholed by this gentleman.

Bob

RaskyR1
01-22-2018, 05:18 PM
I personally wouldn't apply Gloss-Coat before CSL and I would let him know you're not responsible for any incompatibilities. I can't say I've heard of anyone doing this combo before so it's hard to say what the outcome would be. I'm guessing you'll be fine but IMO the owner should be using EXO on top, not Gloss-Coat.

RaskyR1
01-22-2018, 05:21 PM
We had about 15 conversation already and he wants to watch me do it. Does any one think I should put the gloss coat on first?

Honestly, I'd pass on the job. Having someone watch you will add a lot of time to the job and they may nit pick and question everything you do. CSL is one of those coatings that easy to apply, but it also requires your full attention!

Mgavin1985
01-22-2018, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone CSL is going to be only coating applied by me. It was settled and this guy will apply gloss coat to wheels himself once he gets car back and knowing him most likely will smear gloss coat all over car as well but at least it won’t be me dealing with it if it doesn’t work out so well.

If he does decide to watch I have an old DA that I break out that is beyond noisy I will use that for compounding that will make him leave :idea:

On a head to head I prefer CSL but it had learning curve as CSL’s high spot were difficult. I now wipe it off almost immediately after that.

Does anyone prefer gloss coat over CSL. They are both

I have been tinkering around with esscence plus. I have been using it like a ceramic wax (black label synergy wax, plasma coat type). I absolutely love esscence plus for this. I have also diluted plus and use it as a reload type QD. Maybe it just me but I apply it like a liquid wax and let it haze- anybody else using it this way?

SWETM
01-22-2018, 08:16 PM
Have you asked the customer if he is prepared to pay you if it's going to go wrong and needs to be polished of?

I would be very carefull to not promise anything with the outcome of this. And honest decline to do the work if he is haveing any kind of expectations that it's not can go wrong. Maybe do a test spot somewhere and let see if it's being a totaly mess that has to be corrected. Before apply it to the whole car. Then it's on him if he wants to proced without any longevity promises.

But who knows it may work.