PDA

View Full Version : My polisher is off center..

01AUDI
01-21-2018, 02:08 PM
Is this normal. I just got my backing plate and it spins perfectly circular but it is off center. It is a harbour freight brand if anyone has used one.

https://ibb.co/m2iLUG

FUNX650
01-21-2018, 03:13 PM
Normal?
Yes...If it meets the below criteria.

•Is that HF-polisher a dual action (DA)
polisher...[Often also referred to as a
random orbit (RO) polisher]? Yes?

Then:

-Because of the DA polisher’s inherent
oscillation pattern, the pad “swings out”
as it orbits around the center of the ma-
chine. The amount that the pad swings
out from the center of the machine is
known as its “throw”.

Note:
If the answer above was No; then:
you probably have a Rotary polisher
and something ain’t right. Take it back.

Bob

Kamakaz1961
01-21-2018, 04:54 PM
If it is any free float DA that is normal. Make sure you mark your backing plate with a stripe to see it spin while it oscillates. That is why your DA is not centered. It is for the oscillation of the DA.

VISITOR
01-21-2018, 07:50 PM
that's normal. take your hand and move the backing plate in a circle and you'll notice it will be like that all around and on the other side as well...

TMQ
01-21-2018, 09:06 PM
Normal...

What you have is a DA. Dual Action. Spins around and moves off center side to side...

Tom

01AUDI
01-21-2018, 09:37 PM
Well you can tell im new! can someone delete this embarrasing post, haha

TMQ
01-21-2018, 10:39 PM
Well you can tell im new! can someone delete this embarrasing post, haha

Lol...Thats ok.

This place is a safe place for all of us!

Even I, from time to time, will post something embarrassing.

You're good.

Tom

SWETM
01-22-2018, 02:58 AM
It's better to ask one more time than not asking. It can be decieving when the free spinning backing plate is moving of center. The electric motor spinn the of centered part of the oscillation. And it's makes the backing plate spinning by the force of that rotation. Which makes it safe when put pressure on the da that the free spinning backing plate is stop spinning and it's only oscillates. That's why it can be hard to see if the backing plate has stopped spinning since the off center part is still rotating. And that's why it's a simple way to see the backing plate spinning or not to mark the backing plate with a marking pen or a stripe. That is the next thing to understand and learn to see and is best to get knowing by testing on the car or a crap yard panel. To see how it works when polishing on a none flat panel and or what pressure it takes to let it spinning.